HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2013, 05:29 PM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
379 Posts
Help!
What happened to my engine?

Piston gets stacked when it reaches its upper point, it blocks the pullstarter, too.
Video here
What happened to my nitro engine? (0 min 18 sec)

What happened?
Had two tanks the previous day without any problem.
Tom_1971 is online now Find More Posts by Tom_1971
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2013, 06:50 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
Have you tried heating it up? How about checking if it's hydrolocked? Try taking the glow plug out and then check if it's still pinching at TDC...

I had the same problem with a recently broken in vx.18 problem was a locked up engine with oil and goo....
Barracuz is offline Find More Posts by Barracuz
Old Oct 02, 2013, 03:41 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuz View Post
Have you tried heating it up? How about checking if it's hydrolocked? Try taking the glow plug out and then check if it's still pinching at TDC...

I had the same problem with a recently broken in vx.18 problem was a locked up engine with oil and goo....
Removed the plug and lubricated through the hole (kind of sewing machine oil) without success. Others already suggested to heat it up, I'll give it a try. Maybe the break-in is not yet complete, although I already had about 7-8 tanks without troubles. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 02, 2013, 02:09 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Is it rough feeling, or just snug? If it's rough, it could be that something scratched the piston and/or sleeve, if it's smooth but snug it might just need more breaking in. Does it turn over better when it's hot?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 02, 2013, 06:01 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_1971 View Post
Removed the plug and lubricated through the hole (kind of sewing machine oil) without success. Others already suggested to heat it up, I'll give it a try. Maybe the break-in is not yet complete, although I already had about 7-8 tanks without troubles. Thanks a lot.
Hmm what I meant was try to turn it over without the glow plug installed.

And if it still doesn't turn like parson said something must be jammin up inside only way to really tell is to open up the engine
Old Oct 03, 2013, 05:39 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuz View Post
Hmm what I meant was try to turn it over without the glow plug installed.

And if it still doesn't turn like parson said something must be jammin up inside only way to really tell is to open up the engine
With or without plug it's the same. Opening is not easy, I'm afraid I damaged the screw heads while trying to open with a (too) short Allen Key (!)

Heat it up is the first thing I'll try. Is a hairdryer ok? Will I need to start when it is hot, or heating on the bench could fix it or at least restore the operations as they were before? I was always able to start it without eating several times, although the breakin could not be still completed...
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:21 PM
Thumper King
United States, RI
Joined Aug 2011
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_1971 View Post
With or without plug it's the same. Opening is not easy, I'm afraid I damaged the screw heads while trying to open with a (too) short Allen Key (!)

Heat it up is the first thing I'll try. Is a hairdryer ok? Will I need to start when it is hot, or heating on the bench could fix it or at least restore the operations as they were before? I was always able to start it without eating several times, although the breakin could not be still completed...
Yes or putting it in the oven for 5 min at 180℉ if you can try taking the carb off better....

but if you want to avoid the hassle and old hairdryer for a good 10 min should help

I had an old Duratrax with same problem when it ever it cooled the sleeve pinch the piston really tight
Last edited by Barracuz; Oct 03, 2013 at 12:26 PM.