Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2013, 09:28 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,456 Posts
Discussion
One of life's small rewards when you are retired.

Well, another day to go flying. One of life's small rewards when you are retired.

Got to talking to my "buds" at the field to-day and seems like I missed yesterday's excitement.

One of fellows helped Ralph (79 and still going strong) set up the throws and expo on his Spektrum transmitter for his electrified "Hots". Now Ralph has flown this model many times with his previous set up. Well, with a little help and a "new set up" Ralph took off and was all over sky (so they told me) and finally landed in a tree. Not happy.

Now, the real excitement was with Don's U Can Do using a LiPo (3300ma, 6 cell). Don had been flying and had had the field to himself. Then John M came along to check out the smoke at the back of the farm where our flying field is truly in the "middle of the field". Don (I was told) was visibly shaken. He had earlier taxied out for another "take off" when all of a sudden he heard a "big bang", more like an explosion that came from his model. To-day I saw the area where it happened. Looks like some one had a camp fire.
Now, maybe Chad, John M, Graham, or Don himself can fill in the blanks and tell us what really happened.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2013, 11:28 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,473 Posts
I have seen a couple of the bigger RC Helicopters have a ESC die on them in mid-flight. Usually there is a pop, then smoke, and then the crash of course. Then you see folks running out to the crash site to frantically pull the battery out as it is on fire and try to keep the grass from burning around it. It is pretty spectacular with these heli's using dual five or six cell 3600 to 5000 or bigger mah battery packs in them too.

There have been a couple of folks with electric foamie planes have a ESC fail and cause the LiPo pack to short out and catch fire. Yes folks foam does burn and melt pretty good too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My homemade Hexacopter build
Old Aug 07, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2005
19 Posts
As I am the aforementioned and freshly minted "Smokey the Bear",and at the time of the incident I was alone at the field,it would be only right if I explain what happened!
Finding my self alone at the field on this day,I took the opportunity to "field check" my newly electrified U Can Do 46 size equipped with a Turnigy 60 size 700 KV. Motor mated to a 75 Amp turnigy ESC powered by a 6s 3300 LiPo
Running the airplane down the field,checking for its steerability on the ground and rudder authority,all seemed well and I turned the plane for a return to my position.
At the precise moment that the plane arrived at my position,and upon throttleing back to zero RPM,a loud 'pop' was heard and the battery immediately burst into smoke and flames!
After my heartbeat decreased to under 200 bpm,and after checking my pants for unsoliceted residue,with flames roaring and a loud hissing coming from the plane,I gathered myself and lifted the plane by the stab and carried the plane to a previous campfire that had been enjoyed by young people who reside at our farm flying field,and flung the by now flaming mess onto the ashes of the campfire.
At that moment I saw a parade of vehicles out of the corner of my eye,and realized that several members of our club were racing to the scene to see the holocaust,and no doubt curious as to the origin of the smoke and flames.
We watched as the planes was slowly engulfed with flames,and then proceeded to cover the flames with dirt from the nearby farm field.
When the excitement was over,and upon investigation,of the batteries past ,it was recalled by yours truly that this battery had been involved in a previous crash,and,although slightly
dented at the front corners,deemed serviceable by me.BIG MISTAKE!
We can only assume that this battery was serviceable enough to be recharged,but upon being called upon to discharge at a high rate,broke down and
leaked its contents,resulting in an explosion and fire,destroying most of the airplane and electronics,motor,and esc.
The servos were rescued but at this stage untested.
Lesson learned- DO NOT USE A LIPO IN A PREVIOUSLY CRASHED PLANE!
skiwiz is offline Find More Posts by skiwiz
Last edited by skiwiz; Aug 07, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old Aug 07, 2013, 03:15 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,458 Posts
The same goes for receivers. They might be a lot more durable than they were 10 years ago, but they still can be damaged invisibly by sudden impacts with terra firma.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 07, 2013, 10:51 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,456 Posts
LiPo fire ash pit

Here's what's left of Don's model.
John
Old Aug 08, 2013, 02:13 AM
South Korea
Joined Feb 2005
717 Posts
Long job to repair that one
Chris Jenkins is offline Find More Posts by Chris Jenkins
Old Aug 09, 2013, 11:24 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,456 Posts
models ready to fly

Not to worry about a repair.
Don always has a model ready to go.
He flies a PZ- P51 that now has about 1000 flights.
Graham's new arrival is this Spit which flies even better.

John
Old Sep 28, 2013, 01:06 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,456 Posts
The summer has passed and we are into the fall now.
Here's a short video of Graham's new Spitfire.
Spitfire Mk IX, ParkZone, Maiden flight by Graham

Spitfire Mk IX, ParkZone, Maiden flight by Graham (3 min 22 sec)
Old Sep 28, 2013, 02:45 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,477 Posts
Thanks John. Nice.
I'm pretty ignorant about all this rtf stuff, and it flew a lot better than I expected!
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:12 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,814 Posts
On the subject of "smoky" incidents, this snapshot of a very "scale-like" emergency landing, was recently posted in the Swedish forum......

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:16 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,456 Posts
Yes, the PZ foamies do fly very well. The Spit in the above video was flying on about half stick throttle. Full power, it's faster than the P51.
Don has had a few P51's. His old one got "retired" about a month ago after about a 1000 flights, yes, that many, and all with the original radio gear! He had changed the BL out for a ".15" size which gave it unlimited vertical.

Speaking of "smoking models" maybe Don will tell us what happened this week. Rumour has it he could have lost his car. Don.......?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 01:31 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
626 Posts
Re post #5 above - 1st & 4th photo what's the red-black wire, black-red wire connection all about ?
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Sep 28, 2013, 04:13 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,888 Posts
I've seen the remains of a model that shorted out some power lines. I'm sworn to secrecy about who, when, or where, but the level of damage was impressive. Also, the carbon lasts longer than the epoxy. The nose looked like a fish head with black burlap stuck to the back. Actually, I'm sort of glad I wasn't there for it. If it had happened the day before, I would have been on hand.

----------
Just to make this borderline on topic, this can't happen, or at least not nearly as spectacularly, with wooden, old time models. I have seen an all wood RC glider that caught a high tension line in its wing tip. It just hung there making soft buzzing noises. No fire.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:12 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,456 Posts
"Re post #5 above - 1st & 4th photo what's the red-black wire, black-red wire connection all about ? "

That's all that was left after the LiPo burned up and took the model with it, just the battery wire and connector. Don't know why they didn't burn up too.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 04:46 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
That's all that was left after the LiPo burned up and took the model with it, just the battery wire and connector. Don't know why they didn't burn up too.
Silicone insulation not plastic I would assume?

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is online now Find More Posts by McGiver