HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:18 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Discussion
New Taigen Tiger 1 full metal - left idle wheel fixed now pulling to the right.

So this beast came in yesterday and trying to somewhat follow along with break in processes I saw, I raised the tank off the ground so the tracks were not touching, removed the upper body so I could see the internals gears and motors, and started it up for a break in run.

I noticed under very slight power the left track was not moving but the right track was (completely new at this so didn't stop there as I had no clue that might indicate a problem). Ran it up to speed a few times and then kept it at just above low power, suddenly the left track seized but would go in reverse then seized again.

Couldn't figure out what was wrong for a bit and realized the left rear sprocket like wheel (idle wheel?) was wobbling pretty bad and that was what was seizing it. I think whatever screw holds that together is loose.

I have been trying to find a step by step guide to take the track apart and then get to that wheel.

Anyone know how to service that part?

Thanks!
Nulltime is offline Find More Posts by Nulltime
Last edited by Nulltime; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:15 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,803 Posts
Ok I have one question .dose it have full flat face wheels or reg road wheels.? I have to deal with both. I have seen the tigers with both. If they are the full flat face wheels from what I have delt with it is not fun. Reg road wheels not bad at all I just dont what wheels your dealing with. DON
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
The rear idle wheel and front drive wheel are deep and sprocketed. The road wheels are slightly dished outward with a raised dot in the middle and rubber around the rim (metal drive wheel, road wheels, and rear idle wheels)
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:00 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,803 Posts
OK I found a sight called Tank zone it talks about the tiger tanks that may help. If it was the reg road wheels with I would think you could remove the screw that is holding them on pull off the hub with the track and reline the track and reinstall .
With the full face wheels that I have a feeling you may have when I help some one we did it the hard way. SO I went looking and found that sight. Look it up for it tells alot on how to do things on the tiger tanks. I hope that helps.. DON
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:02 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,803 Posts
ONE more thing can you put a picture on what your dealing with ? just wondering
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:59 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Will see if I can take a pick when I get home. Sure thing.

And thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Also I looked at that site and my body style seems different as well.

The hull is mostly metal + plastic with an additional plastic tub holding the motors / gears / electronics and batteries above the level of the suspension system and wheels.

It seems to be double hulled + tub.

I will try to get that pick of the side / inside / and a close up of what I can see of the left real idler.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Edit
Last edited by Nulltime; Jan 24, 2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Double post
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:53 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,803 Posts
OK It may not be as bad as were thinking . ?
THE Picture would help me to try to help you . THEN I may have an idea I am still learning as I go with the tanks but I am helping a store out with some repairs and it is also helping me and others when I can . talk to ya later. DON
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Figured I would give everyone an update.

Here is news:

1. It was a broken left idle wheel. I was sent a replacement by the manufacturer and managed to figure out how to get that installed properly.

So finally got her all broken in with no tracks or anything, then with tracks, then around the inside of the house.

Noted that it pulls to the right almost no matter what I do. When gently turning the gear boxes by hand I noted that the right side seems "tight" and can lock up at times (not under power only by hand). When this occurs the gears which normally can slide a bit horizontally side to side some are pretty much hard locked on the pins they reside on and "click: when moving side to side.

What do you gents think? Does the gear box need to be broken down and examined? Definitely not driving it until I get it fixed as I do not want to cause undue strain on the motor / gears/ axles etc.

EDIT: Also looking for any suggestions on getting the right side drive wheel off the tank, figured out how to get it apart but not to take the base side of it off the axle.
Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
So I have managed to get it down to just needing to remove the drive wheel to get the gearbox out, and I can see now that one of the gears in the box appears to be oblong in shape or is camming. Hard to tell without getting the gear box out.

Emailed the manufacturer to see if they will replace if not what do you guys think is the best option? Buy new gear boxes?

Thanks!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:29 AM
Joined Jan 2013
16 Posts
Good news the online store I purchased it from is replacing the faulty gear box as well!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:10 AM
NH Armored Assault R/C Club
Joined Jan 2013
184 Posts
Get 3:1 reduction brass gearboxes from www.yourrcstore.com/ . Make the Tiger 1 realistic speed and excellent torque. Very good price nicely made. Cheapest price I have found. Ordered Friday and had Monday.
Commandernh is offline Find More Posts by Commandernh