Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Paul@SCC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
Discussion
Stabilised gimbal project.

Bench test with tilt.
My Project 4 (1 min 8 sec)

Roll test.
Roll Stabilisation (0 min 48 sec)

1st flight test with roll only.
My Project 8 (1 min 3 sec)

More on board testing with roll.
My Project 9 (2 min 16 sec)

We have now put together a gimbal which has roll and tilt. Pan is coming.
The electronics should be mounted tomorrow (12th Jan ) and hopefully a test flight to see roll and tilt working together.
My Project 11 (1 min 56 sec)
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Apr 2011
73 Posts
Fascinating work, i am interested
djbojan is offline Find More Posts by djbojan
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
We were hoping to get a test done in the air this weekend. Unfortunately we are waiting on a couple of parts. Hopefully next week we will be able to test roll and tilt together.
Last edited by Paul@SCC; Jan 16, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:25 PM
An octowhat?
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
That's very interesting indeed, I shall keep an eye on this. You're building a Zenmuse competitor there if the stabilisation on the pitch clips is anything to go by! Good work! Are you commercially operating already? I'm guessing so. If not and you ever need a commercial operation test, let me know! I'm all BNUCed up! I'm in Norwich... as you saw earlier.

Elliott
Orinoco is offline Find More Posts by Orinoco
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
Hi Elliot. Yes keep looking in. Hopefully by the end of the week we will have tilt and roll in the air, if our parts turn up

We are not commercially operating at the moment.
Thanks for the offer on the test.
Is the commercial operation test something you have to pass before going for the bnuc test. ? I must start to read up on this stuff.

Regards
Paul
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:57 AM
An octowhat?
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Sorry Paul, I may have phrased that badly! I just meant, if you ever wanted someone to test it on a commercial project, like a video shoot or whatever!

Having gone through the BNUC-S and CAA certification, if you need to know anything, let me know. I wrote a post over on multirotor forums giving a brief outline and costs to try and dispel the misinformation that seems to be all over the place. Have a look at post #5 on this thread. I am HexCam on there. I'm only Orinoco on here as I registered here before I started the business!
The gimbal looks very impressive! There is another enthusiast I know not that far from you if you are in Bucks. Might be worth getting in touch as he has a lot of nice cameras!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:26 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
HaHa. I see. I started to think I was going to get tested and certificated for a small sum.

I have bookmarked your post. I will have a look at the links and do a bit of reading

The other guy in Bucks, is he a forum member ?

BTW. You do know that you can change your username here at rcg, as long as HexCam is not already used.

Cheers
Paul
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:28 AM
An octowhat?
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Hi. I think he is in Herts rather than Bucks. Don't know if he is on the forums but on Twitter he is @sbeertv. I am @hexcam.

I may change the name but sometimes it is nice to be places and represent myself rather than my company

I guess the price is relative. If that gimbal performs as well as it looks like it's going to you'll get a good demand for imagery.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
Didn't have time today to get the gimbal on the octo, but we did get some indoor footage. Tomorrow we will get it in the air.

trim.eSQSis (1 min 40 sec)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:29 AM
An octowhat?
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Nice.

I am in the process of designing a gimbal working on a different principle as we want to make one that will work well with the Wookong and bigger cameras. My problem is I have absolutely no idea how to turn my sketches into reality so I really admire what you're able to do.

Just hope your octo never has to do 1 minute 30 on the video
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orinoco View Post
Just hope your octo never has to do 1 minute 30 on the video
Me too

Its definitely useful to know someone who owns and knows how to operate lathes and mills. I just make the tea
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:36 AM
An octowhat?
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
My step dad builds racing cars for fun and can do the milling and lathing. It is CF sheet cutting I am struggling with at the mo.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:50 AM
An octowhat?
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Actually, 1 minute 30 probably shows there might also be an application for a servo assisted hand-held steadicam!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Jan 2007
3,180 Posts
Got a flight test done today. This is the first flight with tilt a roll working together.

trim.BMtXfV (1 min 35 sec)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:04 PM
An octowhat?
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Got a flight test done today. This is the first flight with tilt a roll working together.
That's superb. Well done! I'll be very interested to see it responding to wind conditions as that is the key thing, the quick knocks when flying in windy conditions or when you hit propwash. Are you thinking of marketing this?