HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2014, 04:39 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awmeade View Post
John - that is beautiful! Any chance you can share /sell a plan, or are you getting it published? Would love to try an EDF in that (the Schapel).
all the best,
Andy
Hi Andy,John's build is on here,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1768409
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2014, 05:48 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
S-u-A, UK.
Joined Jan 2003
741 Posts
Thanks Stu
awmeade is online now Find More Posts by awmeade
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:40 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,192 Posts
Rotor slope glider

Here's a little slope glider I made this week. The idea came from thinking maybe I could just throw a couple of heli rotor blades together and fly them. While that could still work, I didn't have a set big enough to put radio gear in, so I made this instead.

The leading edges are carbon arrows, then blue foam and balsa trailing edge. The chord is 4 inches and span is 49 inches. It's covered in 3.7oz glass and I just put enough paint on it so I can see it. We'll see if it works
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Jul 20, 2014, 01:29 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,794 Posts
I predict that it will work.

4" chord !.....THAT is small. This one is going to move. At 6% thick, the wing would be less than 1/4" thick. Kinda of like beefy elevator construction. Let's us know what you think of it after you let it rip at the slopes.

It is an attractive category of glider. Small, fast to build, fast in the air, low cost. Could be fun.
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:09 AM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,192 Posts
Good news, it flies!

On the first try it went up, pivoted around and went straight in to gravel next to the road. It would have broken every other plane I own, but only scratched this one. I taped a piece of lead to the nose and tried again. This time it just flew away. I just bought a mobius and stuck it on my hat so I'll try to get that posted tomorrow.

It's pretty fast and was doing really well with very little wind. My dad was flying a Makis (molded 2m) and the little Rotor was faster and was able to stay higher most of the time. I'm really surprised and happy with it. Might have to rip a mold off the little guy

Steve C
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:03 AM
Joined Dec 2008
28 Posts
Good news

Thanks

net
net-pratique is offline Find More Posts by net-pratique
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:12 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,192 Posts
Video is up. I cut some parts out where you couldn't see it. Still a pretty long video, but I included the landing.

Rotor slope soaring at Del Valle (9 min 25 sec)

Not sure what happened, but but the quality got downgraded quite a bit. I'll have to work on that.
Last edited by Steve C; Jul 21, 2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:45 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,638 Posts
inspired
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM
United States, MA, Middleboro
Joined Jul 2007
579 Posts
Looks as if it was a lot of fun.
iron eagle is offline Find More Posts by iron eagle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The third time is a charm!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:32 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,211 Posts
That looks great!Nice pair of tips- are those home grown or was surgery involved?
You mentioned rotor blades- would those be light enough to fly as a wing?
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:32 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,192 Posts
Thanks

The tips are just carved from foam with balsa winglets tacked on before glassing.

I'm sure you could fly some rotor blades on the slope. I might still try it some day.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:42 AM
Designer
Nottinghamshire
Joined Jul 2009
11 Posts
Steve, Nice model, does it tip stall and if so have you thought about adding a partial span drooped leading edge to edge prevent tip stalls? I fitted them to a model I built that was of a very similar configuration to yours and it made a world of difference to the stall characteristics, see here for details: http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...ng-edge-2.html
John Newton is offline Find More Posts by John Newton
Old Jul 24, 2014, 01:13 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,192 Posts
Leading edge flaps are something I do plan on trying for an F3F flying wing, but this one doesn't seem to suffer from tip stalls. Even when the cg was too far aft, the biggest problem was lack of control authority and lots of adverse yaw.

I do have a 2m wing I designed in the 90s that would sometimes spin on winch launches (single hook). I had read about the wings of Hans-Jergen Unverferth and he determined that this was usually caused by a tip airfoil with abrupt stall characteristics. My 2m had a modified HQ at the tip, so maybe it was the cause. It did have extremely good performance otherwise and was perfectly fine for slope soaring.

The rotor has that arrow shaft leading edge, which may be helping that tip stall gently. This plane is a little sluggish on ailerons, so I would make them a bit longer if I did it again.