HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2014, 09:54 PM
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

I filled up the biggest pot I could find with water and put it on the stove, I never brought it to a boil but just before that point and it fixed up the foam great.
You can see how crooked the nose is in the second pic I put up, the plane is straight now at that angle. If I push all of the cracks together it looks pretty good.

I'll glue it soon depending on what glue I find in store. The motor mounting plate is definitely re-usable, I will reglue the one side that is loose, but it is still seated in the crack so tightly so I probably don't even have to glue it if I didn't want to.
The motor mount bracket was bent badly as you can see, I bent it back to roughly how it should be but it is kind of wavy now, I'll bend it until the screw holes fit and the motor is pointing roughly the right way and then fly and adjust the thrust angle as needed.

Hopefully I can have it done by the weekend.
bippitybop is offline Find More Posts by bippitybop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:02 PM
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,379 Posts
Some things ShoeGoo doesn't work with - 'regular' styrofoam (it will eat it away) and the white rubbery RTV adhesive Flyzone uses all over the plane - it won't stick to it.

Grrr! The left aileron servo crapped out again! This happened back during the winter as well. I replaced it, now the replacement just lost it's marbles. It was fine during the last flight. Plugged it in today and spaz-city Bizarre how two servos failed in the exact same way. I cannibalized a couple of retired servos laying around to get one good one. Glad my wings have those access doors now !

I'm going to try and eliminate the down thrust of the motor - maybe then I won't need up trim and the plane won't appear to be dragging it's tail when flying.

I'm also attempting to rig one of those Orange 3-Axis stabilizers just to see if it makes a difference on this plane ...
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Jun 28, 2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2014, 09:47 PM
Joined Jun 2014
4 Posts
Have you flown with that gyro yet? That's the same one I had, I was flying in 10km/h+ winds and it didn't seem to do too much, though I didn't mess around with it a lot.

When I say it didn't much, I mean it works, I put the aileron gains up to 3 o'clock (very high) and the wings/roll was oscillating, but if I turned it down a bit it didn't change the flight characteristics noticeably. I only did two flights with it though before I stopped using it. I mounted it in the rear compartment on the bottom under the servo wood board in the middle of the plane. So it was half under the servo board but the plug side was on the back of the compartment so the wires could come up and I could access the gain screws.

Yours is closer to the center of gravity which is where it should be.

Anyways, I glued everything up with ShoeGoo and it's basically as good as new. I just need a new prop adapter as mine was bent. I am not 100% sure that my motor is still perfectly straight but I'll find out when I put a prop on.
I just eyeballed the motor mount bracket when bending it back, it is slightly up and slightly to the right, I'll adjust after flying if needed. It is still pushed back a bit though so the cowl might interfere with the blade but it depends on how long of a prop adapter I get.

I just picked up a used ParkZone T-28 today for $90, hopefully I can fly it tomorrow if the weather is good. It has that 2 piece prop recommended in this thread so I can try it on my Sensei sometime and see how it goes.
bippitybop is offline Find More Posts by bippitybop
Old Jul 04, 2014, 12:03 AM
Joined May 2009
3,379 Posts
Congrats on the repairs, and new plane acquisition

I actually flew 4 packs today with the gyro. Flight #1 had it set to the 12-O-Clock position - didn't really do much. Flight #2 had it set to the 3-O-Clock position - like you said, major aileron oscillations. Flights #3 and 4 were around 1 or 2-O-Clock and it really did a great job. It was windy today and it really did make a difference. However on the last flight I forgot to turn it off before trying to land - the plane didn't want to descend, even though it was loosing air speed. It did, finally, but had a minor flip over. No damage, that I can see anyway.

I've got too much junk on the plane now. Mobius camera, Boscam 200mW vTx, Spironet CP antenna, Cyclops Breeze OSD w/GPS and current sensor, and now the 3-axis gyro with 4 extra servo leads. I either have to acquire another EMax GT2815/07 motor and 40A ESC or remove some things as the plane struggles to gain altitude. Not surprised with the stock power system. It's fun though - I like the gadgets
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:17 AM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
FR4, Your landing problem is more likely caused by your trim. If you are nose heavy you require too much up elevator to counter the weight, the plane is trimmed with a tail dragging/nose up attitude. Moving the CG back will raise the tail and allow the plane to descend as throttle is reduced. In your current configuration the gyro wants to maintain your nose up attitude and adds elevator as you reduce throttle. This will continue until the plane stalls.

Happy Flying

Dennis
3rd Try is online now Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Jul 04, 2014, 11:02 AM
Joined May 2009
3,379 Posts
Hey Dennis! I will re-check the current CG - must confess I didn't do it after adding the 3-axis gyro.

Would too much down thrust of the motor/prop also help to worsen this problem (assuming the CG is where it's supposed to be) ? Only reason I ask is I have been checking CG in the past (after the latest repairs) and it appears to be spot on (according to the markers under the wings). In the air, the plane wants to nose down, so I add up elevator. Thinking the current amount of down thrust (too much) may be causing this (?)
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Jul 04, 2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2014, 06:42 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
FR4, Yes, too much down thrust will also cause what you are experiencing. If the CG is at the correct spot that would be the next probable cause. This can be checked by flying straight and level at normal cruise speed, and then lowering the throttle to zero. The nose should drop slightly and enter a consistent glide. If the first reaction is the nose ballooning excessive down thrust is the culprit.

Good Luck

Dennis
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:39 AM
Joined May 2009
3,379 Posts
Thanks Dennis. I've got a few things to check out and work on then

I went ahead and swapped motor mounts - put the new one in, but upside down. I then had to add some more washers on the left side of the mount. Now the thrust line is pretty much centered axially. Since the nose of my Sensei is kinda mashed putting the stock motor mount on as intended and without washers results in a very wacky thrust line. We'll see in a day or two how this works out ...

Also discovered that my tail now hangs down a bit - like a quarter inch or so. Not surprising since it was glued in two locations. That probably helps with the nose down tendencies. And during the last servicing of the left aileron servo I didn't re-attach the pushrod exactly where it was before. Soooo, enough futzing around - 8 clicks of up elevator trim and 8 clicks of right aileron trim, along with the 3-axis gyro and this plane flies even better than it did before ! I buddy-boxed a guy from work yesterday (first time flying a real model - has some sim experience). He did great, and even I was surprised how well he, and the plane, did given all of the repairs and mis-alignments here and there. Got lots of compliments from the other pilots there too, asking what kind of plane it was, what it had in it, amazed at how well and fast it flies, super stable, etc. I even had two near perfect landings, from the left (my weakness). Big smiles for sure

Happy Summer and Happy Flying everyone

Flight#102:
Flyzone Sensei - 100+ Flights ! (1 min 41 sec)
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Jul 26, 2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:05 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
429 Posts
Hey guys,
After sitting in the corner of my living room since last July when I broke my right arm, I finally got to maiden my Sensei last week at our club field. Easy assembly, everything fit nicely, great looking, & after reading all the responses, I made a couple mods prior to maiden......very minimal.

I changed the tires to Dubro 3" dia only on the main LG....left the nose wheel stock. I molded a piece of thin, soft plastic to cover the hatch servo/pushrod/clevis to enable an easy drop without jamming. Works great. Our club is having an open house & the club officers want those with bomb bays to drop candy for the kids, so the cover would make it easier for the candy to slide out.

The maiden went super as the club grass field had just been groomed & takeoff & landing were a breeze. Everything is stock on my Sensei...so far. I am going to try an 8 X 6E prop when my LHS gets them in tomorrow or the next day. I really monitored the front LG for signs of bowing/bending, or servo slop.....no issues. I do have MG servos if the need arises. I ran 3 batteries thru to determine an average time to set my radio timer. Since I'm an 'ol timer, lazy flying is this planes best attributes. I have other planes when I "feel the need for speed". With 3S 2200 35C Zippy Compact batteries, I can average 15-17min....timer set to 15min. This plane is a joy to fly & is a candidate for some lights for our night-flying events. This plane gets my #1 choice for a beginner to learn RC with 4ch. Here's some pics.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:34 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rangiora
Joined Mar 2013
57 Posts
axle studs

do you have to replace the axle studs to accept the 3" wheels? or just replace them and secure with a collar and final question do the wheels need bushing if using the original axle studs? I'm sure these questions have already been answered so my apologies for not fully searching this thread but couldn't find the info. Thanks in advance
Roders
Roders is offline Find More Posts by Roders
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:52 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,364 Posts
We use Harry Higley's axles. You will need to file out the hole just a bit.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL726&P=7

We use bushing in all the wheels.

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jul 17, 2014, 08:15 AM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
429 Posts
@Roders,
I simply used the stock axles with no changes needed.

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:28 AM
Your INVERTED!
United States, OK, Coweta
Joined Jul 2005
626 Posts
Sold my Taildragger to my flying buddy! He LOVES it!!!! One of the best flying planes in our club. Will make anyone look great flying it. Kinda miss it, but I have a Super Cub project going now, as well as a Big Stik bash into a WWI Eindecker....Great part, I still see it, and can fly it...
w0ace is offline Find More Posts by w0ace
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:22 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Sensei questions

Hello All. Brand new to the site and only recently returned to the hobby after a 25 yr hiatus. I bought a RxR Sensei to get "back on the sticks" so that I could teach and guide my kids through the wonderful experience of RC flight. The planes appearance was very nice (my first foamie or arf), but I had the ESC fry on the very first run up for takeoff and I see that many have had similar experience with the motor/esc combo. Horizon (Tower) replaced the fuse right away rather than sending me the ESC. After asking an experienced gentleman at the field to take her up and trim her out for the first flight, it flew beautifully although the axial balance was a little off requiring some sticky lead on the left wing to counteract after first flight so ailerons could be returned to near zero position.
After that I soloed the plane on its second flight and have had probably 30 beautiful flights on it with no issues until today. Final turn on approach I could not get the plane to level back out and she nosed into a corn field. After recovery, it is obvious that the left aileron servo is stripped, although not sure if this caused the crash or was a result of it.
Man I just realized how much I have rambled. Main questions are how to remove the cowl to repair motor mount, and how to replace aileron servo? I have spare fuse as I stated, and it has all servos onboard, so hopefully I can get this beautiful flier back in the air. Some postings on other sites say to cut it off, and some others say it can be pried off. Can anyone tell an old timer who has zero experience with anything other than built up planes how to do these things?
Thanks in advance.
Denonpmb is offline Find More Posts by Denonpmb
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:09 AM
Joined Jul 2012
232 Posts
Cowl Removal

Welcome to the thread, Go to post 671, very good explanation of cowl removal.

Dennis