HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
United States, CA, Oroville
Joined Sep 2007
79 Posts
I have a #11 that I bought april 2011 (I believe it's version 1 as it has the larger mini usb connector with the thick wire)... I tried to make the "special cord" to charge/record at the same time off a 4 AA cell pack as the battery dies after about 15mins.. I followed the instructions and have #4 pin Positive and #5 pin Negative.. I checked with a volt meter and it works fine 5v... But the camera isn't working as it still dies after about 15 mins... Any ideas as to what I should try? I flashed the Rel2 - Remove Time - Noncontinue (4GB).

Also how many minutes of video can I expect from a 4g card?
savage 40 is offline Find More Posts by savage 40
Last edited by savage 40; Nov 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:31 AM
United Kingdom, England, Diss
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
I have a #11 and I can get over 45mins on a 4Gig card using the internal battery.
The card has lots of space left empty.
fuzzyflier is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyflier
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:24 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage 40 View Post
I have a #11 that I bought april 2011 (I believe it's version 1 as it has the larger mini usb connector with the thick wire)... I tried to make the "special cord" to charge/record at the same time off a 4 AA cell pack as the battery dies after about 15mins.. I followed the instructions and have #4 pin Positive and #5 pin Negative.. I checked with a volt meter and it works fine 5v... But the camera isn't working as it still dies after about 15 mins... Any ideas as to what I should try? I flashed the Rel2 - Remove Time - Noncontinue (4GB).

Also how many minutes of video can I expect from a 4g card?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyflier View Post
I have a #11 and I can get over 45mins on a 4Gig card using the internal battery.
The card has lots of space left empty.
The newer #11s, even those with the 5-pin USB socket, have a slightly larger casing and battery as the first #11s. I don't know when they changed the size of the casing but it was most probably just before they added the non-standard 8-pin mini-USB. With the original casing, 45 minutes using the internal battery is pushing things to the extreme. The new, larger and slightly heavier battery, will do this easily.

I've made well over 10 of those cables, and they work!
Are you sure you have +5V under load and not around 4.2V? Depending on the batteries and/or holder there may be a small diode built into the holder which reduces the voltage by about 0.7V.

Does the red LED turn on when you connect your battery? The very, very early versions didn't show any LED when using the special cable, so that isn't a true indication if your cable is working or not.

I'm presuming you've wired the plug correctly. Pin #4 is the one next to the ground, 3 pins away from the standard +5V pin.

The firmware has absolutely nothing to do with the "special" power supply. It is a true appendix and totally isolated from the rest of the system.

4GB will give you a little more than 70 minutes of video at 7Mb/s.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
I'm having a problem with the camera I got yesterday. It's a #11 (shows 18 on back) with the weird style usb connector. I cannot get it to record video when disconnected from my computer.

When I press the power button, the yellow light turns on for about 5 seconds and then goes off. I charged it overnight, same thing. I can connect it in webcam mode and read the SD card from my computer so that seems to be working. It's just when it's not connected to the computer that nothing works.

I've read through the earlier pages of this thread but didn't see information about a problem like this. Any help?
cpolaris502 is offline Find More Posts by cpolaris502
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:46 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpolaris502 View Post
I'm having a problem with the camera I got yesterday. It's a #11 (shows 18 on back) with the weird style usb connector. I cannot get it to record video when disconnected from my computer.

When I press the power button, the yellow light turns on for about 5 seconds and then goes off. I charged it overnight, same thing. I can connect it in webcam mode and read the SD card from my computer so that seems to be working. It's just when it's not connected to the computer that nothing works.

I've read through the earlier pages of this thread but didn't see information about a problem like this. Any help?
It may be you have a dud battery that cannot hold a charge. Does it record normally when powered by the external car charger?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,156 Posts
I know this is pointless post but I had similar problem last night while upgraded the FW on one of my #16's from v0.36 to V0.49, so I could have time lapse function with intention of filming the Solar Eclipse in 10 second intervals, however the damned clouds spoiled my fun here in Sydney and all I ended up with was about 150 pictures of heavy cloud.

But I had the same problem where the cam was doing the same thing (at first I thought I might have bricked it), I finally got t going, but for the life of me I can't remember how - as it 6.30am and I had been up all night working on website stuff, watching 'When We left Earth' and working on my R/C Models.
If I think of what the solution was was I'll let you know. - Even if you are talking about the #11 and not #16, there could a relation. However I'll let you know if I remember what the problem was. Try another memory card, I was getting them mixed up during the upgrade and I think it came good with different card in it or perhaps was not inserted properly or had a bad contact - dunno.

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
You might be right about that, Tom. I can record just fine while it's plugged into the 12v car adapter and the charging USB cable. (The other must just be for data transfer). I unplugged the power from the camera while it was recording and it kept recording for another 5 seconds while unplugged and then stopped when the battery must have died.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpolaris502 View Post
You might be right about that, Tom. I can record just fine while it's plugged into the 12v car adapter and the charging USB cable. (The other must just be for data transfer). I unplugged the power from the camera while it was recording and it kept recording for another 5 seconds while unplugged and then stopped when the battery must have died.
It's also possible, but not as likely, that your camera's charging circuit is not functioning properly. Finally, open the camera case and see if the battery is securely plugged into it's socket. You could unplug and re-seat it to be sure.

If that does do anything and you have no external lipo charge to test your battery with, try emailing your camera vendor with the details. You can likley get a replacement battery under warranty.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,932 Posts
I put the standard 808 #16 on my transmitter and had the 808 #16V2 D lens on the plane for this video. The entire video was shot with these two cameras.

RC Bowling with Reaper #16D HD (re-edit) (3 min 11 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:44 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,156 Posts
Lee,

Cool video, cool 'combat / targeting cones' stuff.
Tell us about your field, with nice grass, whats with 'asphalt/tar' looking area with the white lines, what's with 'fencing' with the white rings.
It's all quite different - What does it all mean?!!
Looks like some weird field out of Realflight Simulator.

Did you say shot with #16 cams! - You'll get busted by Tom, this is the #11 thread!!!

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:15 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Lee,

Cool video, cool 'combat / targeting cones' stuff.
Tell us about your field, with nice grass, whats with 'asphalt/tar' looking area with the white lines, what's with 'fencing' with the white rings.
It's all quite different - What does it all mean?!!
Looks like some weird field out of Realflight Simulator.

Did you say shot with #16 cams! - You'll get busted by Tom, this is the #11 thread!!!

-B!LL!
Those are irrigation sprinkler piping systems. But you're right... #16 video is off-topic in the #11 thread, and should be posted in the #16 thread (please!)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Aug 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
It's also possible, but not as likely, that your camera's charging circuit is not functioning properly. Finally, open the camera case and see if the battery is securely plugged into it's socket. You could unplug and re-seat it to be sure.

If that does do anything and you have no external lipo charge to test your battery with, try emailing your camera vendor with the details. You can likley get a replacement battery under warranty.
You are pretty in-tune with this camera stuff and the vendors. You called it, I emailed them after my last reply and they are sending out a new battery. Guess I'll be waiting another 2+ weeks for that now. I might crack open the camera and take a look inside in the mean time.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
I've read lots of posts but did not find an answer to my question:
is there a firmware for #11 V2 that supports Stop/Save/Continue function?
I tried to make recording with external power supply but got only one 4Gb file. Then yellow led lights up and recording stops.
What are possible ways to make long recording that fill the whole 32Gb memory card?
Thanks
rafael73 is offline Find More Posts by rafael73
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:38 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael73 View Post
I tried to make recording with external power supply but got only one 4Gb file. Then yellow led lights up and recording stops.
What are possible ways to make long recording that fill the whole 32Gb memory card?
Thanks
I don't have a #11 V2, but S/S/C has always been supported. However, you need a "special" cable if you want to use external power. The 8 pin connections have been posted several times.
Here's the link.

You can use the normal cable if you connect the cable after you have started the recording - at least that's the way it works with the V1.

IMO, the #11 and #18 were badly designed for use with external power. The #16 can use external power using any standard cable.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:26 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafael73 View Post
Thanks
The only FW available is posted for download in the front of this thread. The FAT 32 file system cannot save files longer than 4GB, and will always stop and save at that point, but I don't know if it is supposed to continue from there (I also don't have the v2 #11 camera). Earlier v1 #11 camera had problems doing this with some FW versions.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread