Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:06 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hink64 View Post
Give us a little more info - like battery size (for CG issues - I like this guy a bit nose heavy because I can correct it in flight - otherwise a tail heavy bird will correct itself in unkind manners) - how long the flight was - were the ailes and other control surfaces centered - did you toss or someone else - did you start & toss at full throttle/half throttle - did you throw into the wind. Lots of variables here my boy. We can help

Hink
Thanks man!

Everything is stock. I trimmed out the ailerons and elevator as close to level as I could. I threw it into the wind with about 3/4 throttle by myself. The wind was in the 7-10mph neighborhood, but nothing my little T-28 and Pole Cat couldn't handle with ease. I warmed up with those before the maiden because the last thing I wanted to do was to crash and then talk about it on here lol

Regarding the flight, it took off very quickly and I circled it around to my right. While in flight I couldn't get the elevator "level" enough for nice smooth flight. All the while I was attempting to circle it back towards me so I could fly it in a circle and get used to it. The next thing I know the thing is upside down heading straight for the ground. I managed to crash land it on its wheels from there, but it impacted so hard that the canopy flew off of it.

One other thing of note. I had a really hard time getting the elevator level, so I had to use the third notch from the bottom of the control horn to make it level. That could be part of the elevator sensitivity. The rod that connects to the servo is also rubbing on the inside of the fuse making a lot of noise, even after knocking out some foam to help the path.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by GBLynden; Nov 05, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:41 PM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,236 Posts
How did you get inverted? What are your elevator throws? With heavy throws you need to go light with the thumbs.
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:04 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,492 Posts
Big sigh....

This thing ain't a micro....

I'm sorry to hear about your maiden; it was/is one of my easiest to fly. You gotta fly this thing. It's not a trainer. Just make sure your controls are all centered and try it again. Are you using 1300's? And are they secured and not sliding back and forth? What's the C/G? If it's nose heavy...that's okay. Tail heavy = bad, very baaaaad. What throttle setting did you use? Mine (and I suspect most of the pilots on this thread) will fly off straight and level at 60% throttle using the stock prop and 1300 mAh battery.

Unless I'm watching a video or standing right there, everything is pure speculation. Try using less thumbs. These birds fly differently than micros; I have a Carbon Cub and I have to fly it differently than I do my "full size" models.

I dunno; just a bunch of random thoughts. Throw her up in the air and try again.

Patiently awaiting the results...
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:21 PM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hink64 View Post
How did you get inverted? What are your elevator throws? With heavy throws you need to go light with the thumbs.
My guess is that I was using heavy thumbs and the elevator and ailerons flipped it over as I circled it around like I mentioned.

What do you mean by elevator throws? I am not up on 100% of the lingo.

I don't just fly micros, I also have three helis and a parkflyer size EDF foamy jet. I obviously don't have it calibrated properly (my fault), but I am not sure how to correct it. I am planning on changing my D/R's to 60% and see what happens when the weather should be good enough to fly in two days from now.

I am using the stock 1300mah battery and not aware of a throttle setting. I have a DX6i. I have only learned when I have had issues like this in the past, so I feel some RC growth coming on.

Any help is appreciated.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jul 2003
65 Posts
Is it easier to balance this plane right side up or upside down?
butaford is offline Find More Posts by butaford
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:57 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,123 Posts
Sorry to hear about the mishap, at least it sounds like plane didn't suffer too badly.

Hard to determine what happened without being there or seeing the plane. One thing that comes to mind... is the DX6i the radio that you have to program expo in "reverse" from the other Spektrum transmitters? (negative instead of positive, or something?).

How did it respond immediately after launch (while you were still getting your hand back on the transmitter)? With no inputs, I'd expect her to start a roll to the left, and probably dip the nose.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
How did it respond immediately after launch (while you were still getting your hand back on the transmitter)? With no inputs, I'd expect her to start a roll to the left, and probably dip the nose.
At 60-65% throttle it'll fly straight outta your hand....no inputs. Plenty of time to reach back down with your right hand (if you're a mode 2 type flyer) and throttle up with the left and take care of business...

You get my point; it's not a heli and it's not an EDF...this thing is different and I'd recommend some help from someone who is experienced with this sorta thing to help you out. Once you learn how to fly this model, you'll find it's one sweet flying warbird.

Due to it's dihedral and the fact that it's a mid-wing, it'll balance just as easy right-side up as it will up-side down.

Just my .02
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Nov 05, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:16 AM
I am GBLynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butaford View Post
Is it easier to balance this plane right side up or upside down?
Oddly enough, it seems like upside down is better. It doesn't matter if the battery is installed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post
Sorry to hear about the mishap, at least it sounds like plane didn't suffer too badly.

Hard to determine what happened without being there or seeing the plane. One thing that comes to mind... is the DX6i the radio that you have to program expo in "reverse" from the other Spektrum transmitters? (negative instead of positive, or something?).

Thanks man! Thankfully it just looks like I did a belly landing favoring one side a little more than the other. I did an ok job making the crash damage as minimal as possible, but I still expected at least something to be wrong with it lol

The expo is +30 for all three settings. I may bump it up another +5 just to ensure I smooth things out as much as possible.

It did a little porpoising right after the launch. My question for any of you can you post a picture of how you have the elevator trimmed? Is it perfectly level or is it slightly one way or the other using the stock battery?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,007 Posts
I have been CGing up side down with the bat.
Like other warbirds tail heavy is risky.
There is not much clearance between the prop adapter and cowl.
I also opened the carb intake and cleaned between the pistons for air flow.
If the prop adapter rubs on the cowl it could influence torque roll.
Did you center servos then adjust surfaces?
Not sure I understand what you did to line up the surfaces.
Going to the inner holes on the control hornes will give you exciting amounts of throw!
Futaba and JR/Spektrum have reversed values for expo. I think the 6i is the same as the DX7 or 8. Positive expo softens the center.
I do not use any on helicopters. But then I lost interest in them.
The Wildcat really helped my learning curve.
After underpowered high wing Cubs and the like. I finally stopped reacting to what the plane was doing and started telling it what to do!
Wildcat is a fine stable plane.
Not perfect tho.
Yes check that elevator control horn. Especially if you went for more throws.
It looks fine in flight checks, but it can be lose.
I have had trouble with the control rod sleeves. At one point, after a nose in, the E sleeve moved forward all the way to the control arm on the servo. This would bind. At first I thought it was my flying skills, so it took time to sort out.
Wildcat will stall. Get a few mistakes high and practice stalling.
It recoveres quicker than ducted fan planes!
Good luck out there! Chris
Wamp is offline Find More Posts by Wamp
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:11 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,898 Posts
Your crash sounds a bit like the first one I had with my Wildcat, on flight 72 or so. I pitched it, only to have it circle hard right and roll in--something it had never done before. I was mystified until, looking at it post-crash, I realized that in sliding the battery in I had managed to pull one of the aileron servo leads loose and hadn't realized it. The involved aileron jammed, hence the roll and drop. Fortunately all I did was break the prop--sometimes it's the simple (and embarassing!) things.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,492 Posts
Flew 2 more 1250's and 4 more 1350's this morning for a total of 50 more minutes of flight time logged on the little 'cat !

Abundant sunshine, 72 degrees and little to no wind...just perfect

GBL, I snapped a couple of pics for you as per your request for elevator pics. Mine is basically level; maybe just a smidge of up elevator induced through mechanical trim. I always trim my models to fly hands-off at 50-60% throttle. As trimmed, at roughly 50% throttle, my Wildcat will fly straight and level hands-off for at least 250 yards before she starts to gently bank into the direction the wind is taking her. I just tested her again this morning and with little to no wind, at about 100-150 feet altitude, she just sails on by looking as cool as ever

Also, look down the long axis of the model and ensure the elevators are level, using the main wing as a guide...mine were a bit "wonky" as the Brits would say, and needed some light tweaking to get them straight.

Hope you get your bugs worked out...remember, gentle on the thumbs, easy does it
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Nov 06, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,486 Posts
Justwingit, I love your picks and overall take on the wildcat. I fly it stock and floaty as well. My ailerons have about the same warpage as yours but it doesnt seem to affect the flight characteristics one bit.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:24 AM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,504 Posts
I have a power 25 1250KV running on 4s 2200mah balances out slightly nose heavy with a 8x8 apc prop hauls ass! using a j3 cub parkzone landing gear....and home made tail wheel for taxi
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:34 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,294 Posts
My ailerons are pretty straight but my elevator is warped downward at the edges. What's with that do you suppose? This is z-foam just like other pkzone models and I haven't seen wierd warping like this in others. I got everything mechanically close to straight and it flies like a dream.

A few days ago I blew an aileron servo -- it deflected and stayed there! If I had a few more seconds to think about it I think I could have brought her back with opposite aileron (one was still working) and rudder, but she was pretty close to the ground by the hillside so when I got her stabilized I let her crash gently into the weeds... cracked the cowling. (I always keep a spare cowling handy.)

Upon further examination, that servo was just dead. I've had broken teeth but never this. Well, little harm done and it was pretty easy to replace. For you guys getting ariframes only, you can use the pkzone part, but an HS-55 fits nicely too.

We had strangely warm weather today (75F) and I tested the repairs in a light wind -- what a nice time. She's back.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:36 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
I have a power 25 1250KV running on 4s 2200mah balances out slightly nose heavy with a 8x8 apc prop hauls ass! using a j3 cub parkzone landing gear....and home made tail wheel for taxi
Woo hoo! That must be wild. I've only gone as far as a power 10 on 3S -- the unlimited vertical club .
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters