HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2009, 06:54 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Discussion
F-104 Starfighter anyone?

It was raining, I had the day off, the kids were at school and my wife was out so I made a little Starfighter. I needed a break from the Su-33 and the Mirage. I've never cut foam like this before but it was really pretty easy. I clamped my small bow to the bench and use 3 cells of a 3000mah nimh to heat it. I cut out posterboard templates from the Verlinden plan that I had enlarged last year. I pinned the templates to the foam being careful to align the register marks on the templates and started cutting by rotating the templated foam against the hot wire. It's the same technique used by MaHo for his F-104.

It's kind of rough but I think that a little spackle and sanding will smooth it out. Have to cut the duct openings yet then I'll glue the parts together. I have a GWS EDF55 with an HET 240-15 motor. It makes from 350 to 420w on 3s depending on the battery. I cut the flared part of the housing off so that the EDF will fit into the duct.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Sep 25, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:09 PM
Smoke, Fire, ahh SMIRE!!
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,715 Posts
Very scale and it looks great but those tiny wings are going to make it a bit of a challenge to fly I'd suspect. Just a guess, but if you're as good a pilot as you are builder and fabricator it likely won't be an issue for you. Me on the other hand, instant LAWN DART!
Drew816 is offline Find More Posts by Drew816
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
582 Posts
very nice
crtaylor is offline Find More Posts by crtaylor
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:14 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
Hey that's really nice! Can't believe it only took you a day. That beats 10 hours of skinning/gluing/cutting/sanding for the rough shape by a mile!

That's really neat.
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:35 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Thanks guys. It really only took around 4 hours, maybe a little less. I was doing some other things in between parts. The most tedious part was making the templates. I wasn't ready to cut up the plans so I first made templates from heavy drafting Mylar then used those as patterns for posterboard templates. This method means that I had to cut two sets of templates. I now have to make templates for the internal cuts for the ducting and gear.

I forgot to mention the dimensions. It's 33" long without the pitot and has a 15" span with the tip tanks in place.

Hope it flies too!

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:04 AM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
I pulled this out of the rafters yesterday and had a look at it. I'm thinking of scaling it up a few percent so that it can take a 64mm fan. I love those little 64mm EDF's. They make a boat-load of power on a 3s 1300 lipo and are really small. Need 4 x 5gm servos and I'm ready to go. I've been thinking on how to spar the wings and I think that two fuselage formers made of a laminated balsa/depron/balsa cut to look like this: --O-- would work fine.

I have a million projects to finish so what's adding another to the list?

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
So I pulled out the plans and some small edf units and the rough foam model. If I keep it the same size I can drop in a 51mm Haoye EDF and use the HET 240-14 6000kv motor in it. Should really scream on a good 3s Lipo. Here are a few pics from just kicking around some ideas.

Mike

GWS EDF 55 with the HET in it:

Haoye 51mm EDF:

This pic shows the intake template on top of the 51mm EDF unit. Larger than scale but not by much.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:16 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Finally had a chance to mount the HET 240-15 6000kv motor in the 51mm Haoye edf. It screams and has plenty of pull on 3s. If I can actually build this thing it will certainly have enough push. Sounds awesome.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:25 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Raining so I did a little head scratching and experimenting today. I couldn't find my small cutting bow so I used a hand jigsaw to rough out the opening and then sanded it to shape. I think it has potential although I may make the entire thing a few percent larger. There would be a negligible weight gain going slightly larger. I won't be using this white foam for the flying model. I have some dense Dow blue foam for the airframe.

Here are some pics.

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:54 PM
Deutschland, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Dec 2001
865 Posts
Nice!
regards Martin
MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö