SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:02 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,119 Posts
Ever want to see a vintage, Piper factory J-3 CONSTRUCTION video?

Dear Fellow Cub Lovers at RCGroups:

The PIPE Here...thanks to my local RC club's (at http://wingbusters.homestead.com/ ) newsletter editor's recent find at YouTube, we can sit back and enjoy what SEEMS to be a Piper factory video from 1943, showing HOW the full-scale originals of our fave J-3s got built "back-in-the-day"...

The Construction of a Light Aircraft (1943) (27 min 24 sec)

...it's a LONG one at some TWENTY-SEVEN minutes, but just about everything that goes INTO a J-3 is shown!

And there's even what SEEMS to be a 1/6th, or even 1/5th scale, "museum grade" structural engineering model of the "bones" of a full-scale J-3 that first appears at almost exactly one minute into the video! That model almost looks like one of us could place an airborne pack into it (receiver, servos and all), install a single-jug, glow ignition four stroke mill inverted into its cowl, cover it with an iron-on fabric like Solartex after fitting it with some clear plastic windows, and have a very nice scale flight session with it !

The way that model was framed up in the video is just about EXACTLY how I like to do up the design of an RC Scale model on my CAD system (but in 2D as flat paper drawings)...the one RC Cub design that I feel fewer people have noticed on the Internet than any other, Paolo Severin's design at http://www.paoloseverin.it/Piper/Piper.html , is about as close to what the model in the video is, that we've got today that's freely downloadable from the 'Net for scratchbuilding one!

In fact, head over to YT themselves and watch it full-screen for the best viewing experience...the original film quality DOES show its age quite glaringly from time to time, but it IS original imagery from Lock Haven, PA when Cubs were rolling off the production lines "for real" to help beat back Adolf & Hideki for the eventual Allied victory.

Hope my fellow CUB lovers enjoy this rare find from 1943... !!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,655 Posts
Dear Fellow Pipe at RCGroups:

The SkylineFlyer Here...Thanks for the video. Its great seeing old footage on the build of the J3 Cub. I'm currently building a J3 Kit right now. Any advice you like to give me on that thread would be great. Thanks.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580658

Yours Sincerely,

The SkylineFlyer
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,202 Posts
I hereby announce the "PIPE" as contributor of the month for all of MARCH. I salute you and your friends for that video..all working together for the common good.
Cabin fever my axx.That is pure gold.Makes me want to build a 1/4 scale J-3 ! Oh wait I am! Well ,it makes me want to build it better now.

Thank you Gentlemen.

Since ThePipe clarified the source,I'm more than happy to thank N1EDM for supplying the movie.Kudos!
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Feb 29, 2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: n1edm
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,924 Posts
+1, for the Pipe's vid.

I have seen Ceconite shrunk with an iron before, but I have not seen Grade A cotton until now. It was fun to watch it shrink with a spritz of water, just like our silkspan and Jap tissue!

Also, wouldn't it be nice to have all that tooling and jigs when doing a one-off homebuilt, like a Wag-Aero Vagabond or similar. And the nibbler for tube cutting, instead of torch-cutting or grinding the tube ends, or the automated riveting machine. Man, no wonder how they were able to ramp up production rates to dizzying numbers during the War!
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,202 Posts
tongue in cheek

I was surprised at how heavy the wheel covers are.when they started weighing it the cap was off....but when they finished weighing it ,the cap was on and the plane was heavy on the left by EIGHT lbs. Lead caps???and now the cowl's off.
look at what you're looking at=hahahahahahahaha

Kinda disproves the theory of right wing heavy counteracts torque ,huh?
and is that a J-4 or J-5 they're adjusting the compass on?-it's side by side seating.check out that door!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Feb 29, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:49 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,924 Posts
Earl, looks like Ken is getting some stick action in that cockpit there... (8^o

What kit is that? BUSA?
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy View Post
Earl, looks like Ken is getting some stick action in that cockpit there... (8^o

What kit is that? BUSA?
Yeah man! that's Briana's contribution.Scale be darned!Ken's RIDING !
Yes -it's a BUSA 1/4 scale cub.....It'll have two cowls,one for the 4 banger,
and also one for the 3 cyl radial,which I'm scaling now.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,119 Posts
Don't forget that there's a DUMMY CYLINDER KIT for a "boxer mill" available...

Dear Fellow J-3 Cub Lovers:

The PIPE Here yet again - thanks for the compliments on the Cub video, but PLEASE remember that it was RCGroups' member "N1EDM" that first sent the link for it around to all my fellow Wingbusters MAC members up here in the Bay State, both current and former (as I'm one of the "former", until I can get back to work) that first alerted me to it, and prompted me to post it up here !!

"N1EDM" was very glad that I liked it, and when he viewed it he DID state that he saw something like the structural engineering "bare bones" model in the video, built by Graeme Mears on display at last weekend's WRAM Show - and that he wouldn't want to have been one of the nitrate-dope-spraying painters in the video from the Piper plant!

The MAIN reason I'm replying this time is to let all of us know, that within the last year's worth of time, a NEW source for a dummy "boxer mill" for a single-jug mill-powered (be it gas OR glow) Piper J-3 became available at http://www.topnotchkits.com/index_files/TN_Kit11.htm , and these dummy cylinder kits are available for any Cub from the 1/6th scale kits, like the Berkeley/Sig RC-3 classic Cub kit that I built my NC51992 L-4 Grasshopper from in the late 1970s, all the way up to a 1/3rd scale size. It's about as complete a kit as can be had for the dummy cylinders, and I've included a pair of scans of the Continental A65 boxer mill's installation drawing for reference, if anyone might need them.

These MIGHT be a nice accessory even for the "electron-powered Cubs" in that scale size range as well...and it could help to add weight up front if it's needed, a challenge for some RC electric Scale birds, from what I've heard in the past!

Hope the link and attached drawings are a help for anyone who might need it...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; Feb 29, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
Thanks for that link The PIPE!!

I will defenitly have to order a set of those cylinders!

ford f47
ford f47 is offline Find More Posts by ford f47
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,923 Posts
http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/125.htm
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:02 PM
the Ford man
ontario
Joined Jun 2010
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Wow those are nice to!

ford f47
ford f47 is offline Find More Posts by ford f47
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:06 PM
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
733 Posts
Sorry, had a nice link but see that the Pipe covered it
Captainhook1 is offline Find More Posts by Captainhook1
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford f47 View Post
Thanks for that link The PIPE!!

I will defenitly have to order a set of those cylinders!

ford f47
Hey-ThePipe !I just ordered the cylinder kit from topnotch...Got the 1/4 scale version...we'll review it as soon as we get it. Ogled the site,and purchased on the spot...goin'on my BUSA J-3
Thanks for the link...had seen it then promptly forgot where You're the MAN.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
9,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford f47 View Post
Wow those are nice to!

ford f47
Yeah-but they're arfs....I wanna build mine !! lmao
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,655 Posts
Are videos okay?

I just bought the GoPro Hero2 camera and strapped it to my huge Piper Super Cruiser. Hope you like and give me some feedback on how to make it better. Also, would you please subscribe to my youtube account so that you can see my other videos as they come out? And give me a thumbs up if you like it.

GoPro Hero2 on 1/4 scale Piper (5 min 44 sec)
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer