HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2011, 03:37 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
392 Posts
Just took delivery of JussiH's FreeIMU 1.22L. But before I hook it up to the Flydino I just wondered if the INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS should be disabled or not (using MultiWii 1.7). I'd hate to let the black smoke out before I can get it airborne

I trust this is the way to go in terms of connectors between Pauls sensor bob and the Flyduino?

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,025 Posts
Yes, disable pullups in code.
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old May 23, 2011, 04:33 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
Yes disable it, with as llc it doesnt matter, as on the bob, but simply disable it in soft and you be safe even connected directly.
Goofy23 is online now Find More Posts by Goofy23
Old May 23, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyepro View Post
I believe octo is being added now to the MWC code, the mega will suport the 8 outs. Not sure what the timeline is for adding it to megapirates code.

GPS is being worked on, it is in the arducopter code and it is being added here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1382503
that means i can get my flyduino and jussis shield now and slap it together and at least use the mwc code to fly until gps is fulli functional ?

what other electronics ( except the 2 boards i just mentioned ) will i need to modify my multiwii octo ?
M4d_D is offline Find More Posts by M4d_D
Old May 23, 2011, 04:56 PM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4d_D View Post
that means i can get my flyduino and jussis shield now and slap it together and at least use the mwc code to fly until gps is fulli functional ?

what other electronics ( except the 2 boards i just mentioned ) will i need to modify my multiwii octo ?
Hi,

The octo code is implemented in the multiwii dev version for beta testing.
I'm looking for someone to test it.
Alexinparis is offline Find More Posts by Alexinparis
Old May 23, 2011, 05:11 PM
Joined Dec 2006
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinparis View Post
Hi,

The octo code is implemented in the multiwii dev version for beta testing.
I'm looking for someone to test it.
well , i would just need to get my flyduino and i can test it , im really not up to date since i was out flying the whole time or my girlfriend was here , which kind of got in the way of flying or other multicopter related stuff ^^

if this works i would have two warthox boards with pro mini , nk and wm+ ( both original ) .... anyone interested from germany , luxembourg or france ?

i would like to have something similar to the mikrokopter but still easy to set up so if i would use jussis board it would work with multiwii , wouldnt it ?
what about the gps ( i know im getting on peoples nerves here , but still ) , will it be available fr multiwii as well , since it seems to work quite well with the arduino mega and the ardupirates code . am i right to say that i can use both codes on the flyduino , multiwii or ardupirates ?

i know that multiwii works with a mac , but do the other programs work with a mac as well ?

so many questions but im still a noob when it comes to the different platforms and till now i only used the promini with wm+ , so ....sorry
Last edited by M4d_D; May 23, 2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old May 23, 2011, 05:34 PM
Paris, France
Joined Jun 2009
756 Posts
Quote:
well , i would just need to get my flyduino and i can test it , im really not up to date since i was out flying the whole time or my girlfriend was here , which kind of got in the way of flying or other multicopter related stuff ^^

if this works i would have two warthox boards with pro mini , nk and wm+ ( both original ) .... anyone interested from germany , luxembourg or france ?

i would like to have something similar to the mikrokopter but still easy to set up so if i would use jussis board it would work with multiwii , wouldnt it ?
what about the gps ( i know im getting on peoples nerves here , but still ) , will it be available fr multiwii as well , since it seems to work quite well with the arduino mega and the ardupirates code . am i right to say that i can use both codes on the flyduino , multiwii or ardupirates ?

i know that multiwii works with a mac , but do the other programs work with a mac as well ?

so many questions but im still a noob when it comes to the different platforms and till now i only used the promini with wm+ , so ....sorry
If you take Paul+Jussi board, I can guarantee an octo multiwii conf will work with gyro+acc+mag well implemented.
I've still difficulties with baro implementation, but I'm sure it's a question of time. No GPS for the moment, as the baro is a prerequisite.

As this hardware is well documented, other code could also run on it.
Alexinparis is offline Find More Posts by Alexinparis
Old May 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
Joined Dec 2006
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexinparis View Post
If you take Paul+Jussi board, I can guarantee an octo multiwii conf will work with gyro+acc+mag well implemented.
I've still difficulties with baro implementation, but I'm sure it's a question of time. No GPS for the moment, as the baro is a prerequisite.

As this hardware is well documented, other code could also run on it.
thats a start .... where do i get the developer beta version ?
do you also have a wiring schematic for the octo and those two boards ?
Old May 23, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hovership
Joined Aug 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
thats a start .... where do i get the developer beta version ?
do you also have a wiring schematic for the octo and those two boards ?
http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/so...%2Fdev_version
Old May 23, 2011, 08:38 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
The progress these days is awesome, thanks Alex for the octo.
Her ei copied some question i got in a pm.

I just want to check a few things with you before I start wiring things up if that's ok?

- I will be powering all the avionics (Flyduino, Rx, etc) off a 5V switching regulator. To power the Flyduino off 5V, do I just need to short together the '5V' and 'BEC' pins at the top right of the board, and then feed the regulated 5V into the 'IN' pin at the bottom left of the board as normal?

-No, if you feed it by the IN on the bottom left you go over the internal 5V regulator, this one is for lipo directly.
I would suggest if you really want to use switching regulator go with him on the 5V on the bottom left.
Otherwise do the 5V jumper if you want to use the supply of the BEC.

- I am using one of Jussi's 9DOF FFIMUs. I notice in your image, you've got 5V and 3.3V going to your Flydusense BOB. However, on my Flydusense at least, the 3.3V track doesn't appear to go anywhere - it just ends up at pads with nothing soldered to them, marked 'PULLUPS 3.3V'. Do I actually need to send 3.3V to the Flydusense, or is 5V sufficient?
For the FFIMU you only need the 5V.
The 3.3V are ment to be used if you need it for a WMP or some Sparkfun stuff, btw there is a via on the board it go to several other palces..
For Sparkfun Sensors without 3.3V Pullups you can solder some on these Pads, those are not included cause the FFIMU doesnt need it.

- Am I right in seeing that I will not be able to use my current FTDI interface with the Flyduino? It seems the pin functions are in a different order? Can you tell me where you got the FTDI interface in your photo from? Or shall I just make up a little interface cable that connects the right signals to the right pins on my existing one? I assume one only needs 5V, GND, Tx and Rx?
Hm, hard to say, smoetimes it can be misunderstood cause a rx have always go to a tx, maybe they only changed the naming.
The printing for serial connectons is sometimes misleading.
It have to be tested, i dont think they changed it, there is no reason to change the standard.

- In the current / default MultiWii code, do the 6 motor outputs needed for a Hex appear on 'PWM Out' pins 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7?
Its 2,3,5,6,7,8
http://multiwii.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Doc/Diagrams
/8%20Connection%20diagram%20Seeeduino%20Mega.png
The Flyduino Diagram is not up to date.
Goofy23 is online now Find More Posts by Goofy23
Old May 23, 2011, 09:59 PM
USA, MO, Smithville
Joined Oct 2008
148 Posts
5V FTDI Basic

I am at the same crossroad with my FTDI. I actually cross the the cables and put them so they matched and I can not get it to work. Before I go any further I'd like to see what everyone else is doing. And by not being able to get it to work I mean, I couldn't burn a bootloader or upload to the I/O board. I've got one of the pre production runs flyduinos and I plan on setting it up like warthox did on a smaller hex. I'm pretty new to multicopters but I'm determined.
MOdesigner is offline Find More Posts by MOdesigner
Old May 24, 2011, 12:04 AM
Hovership
Joined Aug 2010
1,025 Posts
Is there any reason to take caution about the distance between the power distribution board and the sensor board? Will the power board give off noise that will mess with the sensors?

I am not using the connectors that came with the power board, just soldered my ESCs to the board to keep it all low profile. My sensor BOB will be sitting less than 10mm above this. Obviously being careful that nothing between the 2 boards touches.
Old May 24, 2011, 05:18 AM
Joined Dec 2010
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOdesigner View Post
I am at the same crossroad with my FTDI. I actually cross the the cables and put them so they matched and I can not get it to work. Before I go any further I'd like to see what everyone else is doing. And by not being able to get it to work I mean, I couldn't burn a bootloader or upload to the I/O board. I've got one of the pre production runs flyduinos and I plan on setting it up like warthox did on a smaller hex. I'm pretty new to multicopters but I'm determined.
FTDI Works fine, I use it too! But I read you wired it up to "match" the labels, so you mean ftdi rx -> rx on flyduino and ftdi tx -> tx Flyduino? because that would be wrong! the ftdi tx -> rx Flyduino and ftdi rx -> tx Flyduino.

Sorry if this was obvious but I'm just checking
rvbcrs is offline Find More Posts by rvbcrs
Old May 24, 2011, 07:38 AM
Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbcrs View Post
FTDI Works fine, I use it too! But I read you wired it up to "match" the labels, so you mean ftdi rx -> rx on flyduino and ftdi tx -> tx Flyduino? because that would be wrong! the ftdi tx -> rx Flyduino and ftdi rx -> tx Flyduino.

Sorry if this was obvious but I'm just checking
i think all FTDI have same pinout.

at least my BASIC FTDI was plugnplay. just watch to plug it in with correct direction GND <-> GND ....
alteskind is offline Find More Posts by alteskind
Old May 24, 2011, 08:11 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
I've just been chatting with Paul via PM, and I just thought I'd share my setup connections

Can't wait to get this all up and running!

Cheers!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster