HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:31 PM
WarpQuad, Flip260FPV, etc.
Tampa,FL
Joined Dec 2003
1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
So far, it seems that the problems reported for the 6 axis version mainly appears in FFF. I have never flown full-speed FFF with it and this may explain why I haven't seen any problems. I suspect that if the heli settles on a constant speed for some time, the accelerometers will react much more than if you were flying small circuits with much more frequent input corrections. This is because flying at a fast constant speed is like hovering to the accelerometers. I have been experiencing the same sort of problems that you reported with my Master CP. However, the effect seems to be less when there is wind around as the heli gets pushed around more often. Otherwise, I find flying mild 3D much pleasant than with the 3 axis version.
lol, I'm just the opposite, my mastercp flies much better at speed than my v120 does.
candy76man is online now Find More Posts by candy76man
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:36 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
It's mounted on top of the boom holder with the FBL gyro mounted on the receiver tray (didn't want the gyro on the boom holder where it would get more vibrations). These pictures show it better.

The Plush 60A was supposed to be temporary untill the YEP80A I have backordered arrives which is why the wire isn't sleeved. It's become obvious now that won't be for a while so I've since sleeved the throttle wire properly. All of the wires between the RX and FBL are run though one sleeve with the plugs color coded. I've flown it pretty far out and flipped it without issues, I don't do hard 3D though. However at almost any angle at least one of the antennas is poking out from behind the frame somewhere.

Tarot 500 with a bunch of aftermarket upgrades added. Except for the lynxheli canopy locks and CF rudder pushrod which I added after those pictures and gorilla gear none were actually necessary. And those three are necessary even on a real Trex in my opinion. Especially gorilla gear, it will save you a lot in crash costs and repair times. If it gets bent up in a crash you can just toss it into boiling water for a minute and bend it back into shape.
Sweet, i looked Tarot does not make a 250 yet. But the CX 250 is pretty sweet, then i'm going to put the DFC head on it. That is interesting about the Gorilla gear. I didn't know they bent and can be thermally reset. That is pretty cool.

Quote:
So far, it seems that the problems reported for the 6 axis version mainly appears in FFF. I have never flown full-speed FFF with it and this may explain why I haven't seen any problems. I suspect that if the heli settles on a constant speed for some time, the accelerometers will react much more than if you were flying small circuits with much more frequent input corrections. This is because flying at a fast constant speed is like hovering to the accelerometers. I have been experiencing the same sort of problems that you reported with my Master CP. However, the effect seems to be less when there is wind around as the heli gets pushed around more often. Otherwise, I find flying mild 3D much pleasant than with the 3 axis version.
Yeah, it does seem that this is the main area people have been complaining about. I've also seen complaints about drifting in bank turns. But again, most people doing FFF are doing fast, steep bank turns too. So people not going FFF would be taking a leisurely bank turn, which is what the 6 axis seems to like if it slows down banking by drifting out in FFF turns, as reported. It does seem that for localized 3D, the gyros work great. it's the type of flight that always has the heli tilted consistently the same direction that is going to be the problem, it seems.
IntegrityHndywrk is offline Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Apr 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I am very happy I got this heli and now it appears that my high maintenance 130X's are going to see significant shelf time. Thinking of going 2s on this heli for kicks. But for now, the 1s version is really good.
What maintenance issues are you having with the 130X?
I was looking to get one early next year as I thought the only problems were making sure the tail wasn't vibing itself to death.

I've read they fly like a bigger bird ... have you or anyone else any thoughts on using the AS3X mainboard in a D02s ? I know it will require a 2 cell motor and other tweaking but is this a possiblility?
rangebound is offline Find More Posts by rangebound
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:35 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebound View Post
What maintenance issues are you having with the 130X?
I was looking to get one early next year as I thought the only problems were making sure the tail wasn't vibing itself to death.

I've read they fly like a bigger bird ... have you or anyone else any thoughts on using the AS3X mainboard in a D02s ? I know it will require a 2 cell motor and other tweaking but is this a possiblility?
Since my 130X is running the HP08S motor, the added power makes the heli loads of fun but it comes with a price. It is going through tail gears, tail shafts and tail servos. I even installed the DS35 to see if it would last longer but that servo is good for FFF but not for all out. I think I may go back to stock all the way around to preserve the durability a bit.

Comparing the new V120 to the 130X is a trade-off IMO. The V120 is rock solid and durable. There are no tail vibrations and she is full 3D capable even with the 6axis. However, I do experience the unpredictable pitching up in aggressive FFF circuits with the KDBB blades. The 130X does what you tell it to do. FFF is flawless and is also full 3D capable. Its just that darn tail resonance (even after spin balancing the blades) that increases the maintenance. I am going to CA the bearings into the plastic tail case and loctite them into the metal tail case to eliminate some of the vibrations.

In the end, I guess I like both helis for different reasons and have fun either way.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:42 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,297 Posts
Quote:
Since my 130X is running the HP08S motor, the added power makes the heli loads of fun but it comes with a price. It is going through tail gears, tail shafts and tail servos. I even installed the DS35 to see if it would last longer but that servo is good for FFF but not for all out. I think I may go back to stock all the way around to preserve the durability a bit.

Comparing the new V120 to the 130X is a trade-off IMO. The V120 is rock solid and durable. There are no tail vibrations and she is full 3D capable even with the 6axis. However, I do experience the unpredictable pitching up in aggressive FFF circuits with the KDBB blades. The 130X does what you tell it to do. FFF is flawless and is also full 3D capable. Its just that darn tail resonance (even after spin balancing the blades) that increases the maintenance. I am going to CA the bearings into the plastic tail case and loctite them into the metal tail case to eliminate some of the vibrations.

In the end, I guess I like both helis for different reasons and have fun either way.
+1 on your pretty good review/comparison.
I agree that the 130X does what you tell it to do, similar to a larger 3D heli.
FFF is flawless and a great 3D heli. Very smooth flyer on sports flying.
I also have the HP08S with 11T pinion on one of my 130Xs. Lots of torque, but decided to go back to stock motor (maybe install it again later ?)
Depending on how much vibration there is, the 2 flanged tail bearings requires replacement after so many flights. One of my 130Xs has the metal (Microheli) tail upgrade while the other is all stock except for the extended CF tail boom support.
In most cases (I fly 4times in a week), I go home with no broken parts flying them both even after some crashes on grass field.
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Spyro37; Nov 09, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:56 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,381 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, on my 3 axis v120 i had to turn the gyro pot WAY down, almost to the bottom to get it to not react funny with the KBDD blades. I don't know how that would work out on the 6 axis. It seems like they are too light and feed back odd input to the gyros from time to time. In high winds it will take to wobbling around. IMO the KDBB blades are a give and take. Being so light they are not always the most stable in the air. But the heli will perform better. I've been thinking of trying the weighted blades with the bullets. Just to try.

I put them on my V120D05 too and they are a big improvement, because that bird needs all the head speed it can get. It's pretty heavy which helps in the wind, thats for sure. But the same thing. Gyro pot all the way down, then turned up just a bit. Using the same RX too, 2622V.

V120D05CS08 - 3D Flight - 11-08-12 (3 min 18 sec)
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Nov 09, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
So does everyone think the current V120D02s is Walkera's last 120 size heli? I wonder if they have any new tricks up their sleeve for an end of year or beginning of next year release of a newer and improved model. Who knows.....maybe this V2 is the last and final model of this size.

We will see
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:17 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
So does everyone think the current V120D02s is Walkera's last 120 size heli? I wonder if they have any new tricks up their sleeve for an end of year or beginning of next year release of a newer and improved model. Who knows.....maybe this V2 is the last and final model of this size.

We will see
They have released the Genius CP, Mini CP and Master CP, all of which are brushed with a motor driven tail. What is missing is a ?? CP that is 120 sized. It is possible that they could go a bit bigger though. I have to add that the Master CP is a radical departure from their previous design philosophy. For once, you have got a model that is extremely tough and is very plug N play at the same time.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Apr 2010
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
I had two V120D02's set up exactly the same with same stock motors but one with the 3 axis and one with the 6 axis. Every time I took them out to fly I would crash the 6 axis during the first pack. I tried out the 6 axis for about a month or two and finally took it out. I used it for a while in my V120D05 and it was no better. Too much pitch up and bucking on fast forward flight. I tuned the gyro pot in every which way with no improvment. I tend to not fly very level and the 6 axis was just not forgiving at all. It WANTS to be level all the time so for my flying style it didn't work. I found I was constantly fighting it and it made flips, rolls, and steep banking very difficult. The RX2622V-D (3 axis) is still the favorite with me. Now days I hardly crash unless I have a mechanical failure.
I really love the 3-axis gyro on the V120... sure wish they would keep it...
Chief
BHChieftain is offline Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Apr 2010
874 Posts
Quote:
They have released the Genius CP, Mini CP and Master CP, all of which are brushed with a motor driven tail. What is missing is a ?? CP that is 120 sized. It is possible that they could go a bit bigger though. I have to add that the Master CP is a radical departure from their previous design philosophy. For once, you have got a model that is extremely tough and is very plug N play at the same time.
I'm going to give the Master CP a go for my son who is making the transition from FP to CP. He is flying a V120D01 sucessfully right now. I think the V120D02 would be too fast for him.

Chief
BHChieftain is offline Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Sweet, i looked Tarot does not make a 250 yet. But the CX 250 is pretty sweet, then i'm going to put the DFC head on it. That is interesting about the Gorilla gear. I didn't know they bent and can be thermally reset. That is pretty cool.
It took a fall from 30 feet straight down on the skids (tail rotor failure) to bend them permanently. They were kind of bent outwards on one side after that so I heated them in boiling water and bent them back into shape then ran cold water over them and they held the shape I'd bent them into. If not for piro comp on the robird keeping it level as it spun wildly and the gorilla gear to cushion the fall the helicopter probably would have been demolished. The damage was a bent feathering shaft and mainshaft, bent pitch control arm on one grip (arms are seperate like the RJX head) cracked finish on the canopy (one of the $15 Fusuno ones from Hobbyking) and a broken Fusuno fiberglass tailfin (carbon probably would have caused tail damage) Amazingly the blades were totally undamaged.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Nov 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:19 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Tarot did make a 250 but was discontinued. Tarot parts for the 250 are still available. The 250 size was never popular in the first place. They cost nearly the same as a 450 but are much harder to maintain.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:32 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Anyone have the d02s rx on there m120d01? I need your settings bc mine seems to wobble and be unflyable no matter what I'm doing.
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:26 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,381 Posts
Quote:
Tarot did make a 250 but was discontinued. Tarot parts for the 250 are still available. The 250 size was never popular in the first place. They cost nearly the same as a 450 but are much harder to maintain.

Yeah, I suppose your right. The 250 is a nice medium between the micro and 450 size. But the thing is going to be just as costly in a crash. Besides my 450 feels small to me now after flying the X5. I think i'll just stick with the 450 as my staple size for now while i recover from the X5 purchase and try to build batteries and parts supply up for the X5. I don't know what i was thinking wanting to get a 250 size. I should be looking for a used 300X because i can use that RX now. If the heli is no good i can at least review it and then use the RX with beastX anywhere i like. I don't think i'm looking to buy any new helicopters besides the nano any time soon. Though i might consider trading my custom upgraded D05 for something i need, like a AR7200BX or something like that. Otherwise i'm pretty much covered on heli for the time being:

Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:28 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Anyone have the d02s rx on there m120d01? I need your settings bc mine seems to wobble and be unflyable no matter what I'm doing.
You probably need to turn the Gyro gain pot down some. On my heli it is turned almost all the way down. But thats on a D05. But wobbling servos is usually gyro gain too high.