HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:12 PM
Joined May 2011
15 Posts
Discussion
Frank's Hobbies - Phoenix Arizona - WARNING

WARNING !
Do not use cash when purchasing anything at Frank's Hobbies in Phoenix over $10 (under this amount they charge a service fee anyway). By using your credit card you have automatic Return Protection that gaurantees you the right to return anything for any reason for up to 60 days. Don't be intimidated or hood-winked by these guys.
Frank's Hobby House in Phoenix, AZ is a private company categorized under Crafts. Our records show it was established in 1981 and incorporated in Arizona. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $1 to 2.5 million and employs a staff of approximately 5 to 9. Bernard "Bernie" Frank is listed as the president and Martin Frank (his son) is listed as the owner. In other words, Bernie is NOT just a cashier.
BTW, never, never show any emotion when trying to return an item and getting stonewalled by them as they will all have a good laugh after you leave. All in all, quite a low-brow place.They could care less that their grief over returning a $5 item (part of a much larger purchase) may impact a future $200 purchase.
See how this works, Frank's? Bad business practices travel fast and breed bad press. Google this place check out other reviews.
CONDOR2 is offline Find More Posts by CONDOR2
Last edited by CONDOR2; Jun 03, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2009
4 Posts
Thanks for the Heads up. I shop at Duncan's R/C but its farther west. They have 2 locations but nothing near as far on the East side as Franks. But they are cheaper than Hobby Bench and great service in the last 2 years Ive shopped there.
lyj888 is offline Find More Posts by lyj888
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:17 PM
Glendale, AZ
Joined Dec 2007
79 Posts
Have always avoided them, due to numerous poor reviews.
LufthansaCFI is offline Find More Posts by LufthansaCFI
Old Oct 18, 2013, 02:25 PM
Obsession, not a hobby
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2013
170 Posts
Nothing has changed since, they're still the same! I recently purchased a $120 ARF with all required items, which came to almost $250. I purchased 2 optional parts--one was in stock and one was ordered and in 2 days later. When I went to return one of the items, it now became a "special order item" and Bernie didn't want give me store credit. I was never told that any of the items were "special order" and non-returnable. Both optional parts fit multiple planes as well. This place is a joke and I can't see how the stay in business. Between the ridiculous policies, like only having one set of wheels in stock, no CC payment under $10, no refunds, etc., and Bernie rudely and disrespectfully gawking at my wife's chest every time we're in there together, I've had it! They will not get another dime from me!
T.A.Z is offline Find More Posts by T.A.Z
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Hanger
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:06 PM
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
This is great information to know. I've never personally shopped there but will not support a business that treats their customers like that. I personally shop at Duncan's RC and HobbyTownUSA anyways. But rest assured, cheap parts or not I will not stand for that kind of business behavior.
jayj001 is offline Find More Posts by jayj001
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Dec 2013
1 Posts
really?

i must have a different outlook as a bussiness owner (not hobbys) I've only had great experiances there. Pricing better than most every where else in town, and returned compete models small parts ect never having an issue. But I have To admitt I always treat them with respect, in return been treated the same.I coninue to shop there and will as long as i 'm treated the same. Thanks for being there for me!
jayfab is offline Find More Posts by jayfab
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:51 AM
Glendale, AZ
Joined Dec 2007
79 Posts
Gee, wonder if the above post is from the owner? First post, and last post since joined....seems a bit obvious.
But seriously, I think most people treat people at the sales counter with respect, until they are shafted by poor attitudes from the other side.
LufthansaCFI is offline Find More Posts by LufthansaCFI
Old Feb 07, 2014, 12:42 PM
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Nov 2008
118 Posts
Eh, Byron from Duncan's isn't always the most pleasant of shop owners either. Tony and Mike are really cool and that's why I've been using the Greenway store. I haven't seen Tony in a while though. I've always had good service at the 43rd and Bell Hobby Bench, I really like Rick, but I know people that hate that store. In many of the mom and pop hobby stores I've been in, the shop owners/employees are grumpy. I've found if you keep going back they warm up

I've never shopped at Franks. To be honest I kind of want to now to see what the fuss is all about. Maybe I'll go look around, if the owners a dick, I'll leave.
Dooz is offline Find More Posts by Dooz
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:54 PM
Comic Art Collector
United States, NY, Eastchester
Joined Jul 2013
505 Posts
Yikes, I'm heading out to AZ in a few days to visit my parents and Franks is apparenetly the closet shop to them so I was going to visit it. Maybe I ought to think about trying someplace else.
DrewC is online now Find More Posts by DrewC
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:29 PM
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2007
7 Posts
Franks Hobby

As with any older persons all have there up's and down days, I have shoped at Franks several time's and my first visits were less than enjoyable. Over time the service has improved, seems to always have what I need and that is more important than anything. Hobby Bench as some drone like people including Rick's wife. There prices are not even close to the word reasonable, but Rick is very experienced and has great advise some times well worth the price. The shaved head guy has the personally of Lurch from the Adams family. Avoid if possible, Duncons seem to cater to electric flyer's and I find the boring! I know Mike and fly with him nice guy The rest not impressed.
robertwilkerson is offline Find More Posts by robertwilkerson
Old Apr 05, 2014, 02:43 AM
Joined Nov 2012
46 Posts
Avoid Frank's Hobby House

I'm not sure how this place stays in business. By far the rudest most unprofessional shop in the valley. Bernie (owner) is a first class jerk and apparent hoarder by the looks of the checkout counter. Go to any other shop in the valley or order online. Don't support this place.
azalbino is offline Find More Posts by azalbino