New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2003, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by Love2Glide
Starkville, MS
Joined Sep 2002
7 Posts
Slopes around Chattanooga, TN?

Hey Everyone,

I just moved to Chattanooga, TN, and am looking for some places to fly. Unfortunately there dosent seem to be much RC soaring around here.

Anyone know of some good sites? I've flown a HLG from Lookout Mountain Flight Park, but you can only fly there when there are no hang gliders and there isnt a place for anything bigger or faster than a HLG to land.

Thanks,

Tony F.
Love2Glide@aol.com
Love2Glide is offline Find More Posts by Love2Glide
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2003, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Re: Slopes around Chattanooga, TN?

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2Glide
Hey Everyone,

I just moved to Chattanooga, TN, and am looking for some places to fly. Unfortunately there dosent seem to be much RC soaring around here.

Anyone know of some good sites? I've flown a HLG from Lookout Mountain Flight Park, but you can only fly there when there are no hang gliders and there isnt a place for anything bigger or faster than a HLG to land.

Thanks,

Tony F.
Love2Glide@aol.com
I didn't know they fly Hang Gliders off Lookout Mt. Sounds cool. Have you heard about Normandy Dam in Tullahoma TN? It's west of you about 1 hour or less. You can fly in a south southwest wind. Not much else around hear in the way of slope soaring. There is a TD club in Tullahoma and one in Huntsville Al. I live in Huntsville. Drop me a line if you are into Thermal Duration.
Dave
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
Old Feb 10, 2003, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by Love2Glide
Starkville, MS
Joined Sep 2002
7 Posts
TD is great too...I would like to find a good field to fly from. Huntsville and Tullahoma are about the same distance from here I think.

Actually I usually fly TD ships from the slope, enjoy the soaring.....particuarly light lift days.

On another note...is anybody around Chatt. who owns a CNC and would be interested in making some models?
Love2Glide is offline Find More Posts by Love2Glide
Old Apr 07, 2003, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by scififlyer
Registered Useless
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2003
423 Posts
slope flying near chattanoogie

Two hours away, north and south! I hear there is some slope activity at Stone Mountain GA, and I fly with friends in Lake City, TN (see slope info at slopeflyer.com)
scififlyer is offline Find More Posts by scififlyer
Old Apr 08, 2003, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by Spaceship13
Just an A&P mechanic
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
places to fly

Hey man we fly the blueridge overlooks and they are great. we fly 20 acre place too,, good overfly area. but we live north of you. in waynesboro. va. it would be a long drive i think. but you could visit from time to time. heres our web. we have one memeber of our club in N.C.

http://www.adesigner.com/brass/
Spaceship13 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceship13
Old Apr 11, 2003, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by LWThompson
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
Hi from Nashville

Go to the Tennessee TreeToppers web site. They are a good bunch of guys located just north of you. This is a hang glider site but many of the guys fly Zagis and such also.

For the foam cutting, you could e-mail Steve Holmes in Murfreesboro. His e-mail is saholmes@bellsouth.net. He has a foam cutter and is an aircraft mechanic by trade.

Wayne
LWThompson is offline Find More Posts by LWThompson
Old Sep 18, 2003, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by keysersoze
Nashville
Joined Sep 2003
45 Posts
Where do the slopers fly in nashville, I know that they used to fly off percy priest dam, but I hear that is now offlimits. I'm looking to do a little slope flying ,but I'm not sure were people fly around these parts.

KS
keysersoze is online now Find More Posts by keysersoze
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keysersoze
Where do the slopers fly in nashville, I know that they used to fly off percy priest dam, but I hear that is now offlimits. I'm looking to do a little slope flying ,but I'm not sure were people fly around these parts.
KS
Go South 1 hour to Normandy Dam at Tullahoma TN. The Dam is good with wind from the South-South/West. I've flown there 3 times.

Also, in Nashville, I hear there is a slope in front of the the Grand Old Opra Hotel. I haven't flown there. I'm just remembering what I read somewhere.

Dave
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
Old Sep 19, 2003, 03:30 PM
Nashville
Joined Sep 2003
45 Posts
Intersting I'm going to have to check opryland out after work today.

Ks
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:10 AM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
Nashville SLope Sites

We are trying to get the dam opened back up. There is a Greenway that will end at the North side where we fly so we hope that will be soon.

The OpryLand site is private and you should contact BBreiden to go fly there since you have to park in a friend's front yard. It is a nice long grassy hill but not very high. We have fun with it though. We still fly the Dam on days with S or SE winds. On the other side of the Dam we can also fly the spillway which takes a WNW wind. That is mostly rocks and water so 8-10 steady is best.

In Nashville, there is a group of about 8 slopers that I know of. I have a mailing list and phone list if interested. BBreiden on this forum is the focal point for flying and coordinating the guys. Send him a PM!

Wayne
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:13 AM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
I also hear that Chattanooga has 3 AMA sites/clubs. May want to check with metro parks. I am looking for a place on Mount Eagle which is half way from Chattanooga to Nashville.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by scififlyer
Registered Useless
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Feb 2003
423 Posts
I've been thru Ducktown a few times and some of the terrain looks inviting.
However, the best way is to just pack up a few foamies and go on safari when the wind's up!
scififlyer is offline Find More Posts by scififlyer
Old Sep 21, 2003, 02:05 AM
Nashville
Joined Sep 2003
45 Posts
Well, I would love to fly with you guys. I haven't done much slope flying. I would really like to give it a try.
Old Today, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by spooledone
United States, TN, Dickson
Joined Apr 2014
78 Posts
What's the current status (2016) for slope flying? Is Percy Priest off limits? Any other slope spots around here? I also fly Thermal & DLG, live in Dickson, TN, work in Brentwood TN.
spooledone is online now Find More Posts by spooledone