Old Oct 06, 2006, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by doc-e
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,151 Posts
Discussion
Partenavia #2

The Kavan Partenavia was one of my first planes, and I enjoyed it for several years (even before I knew all that much about flying). It is one truly remarkable plane - easy to fly, beautiful and graceful in the air, and fairly aerobatic. Eventually I sold my old Partenavia to a friend who wanted a 4-channel trainer to learn rudder/aileron coordination on. I though I was done with the Partenavia until I found one for $90 NIB. I just couldn't pass that up, so... let me introduce Partenavia #2! This one has two AXI 22/12/26 motors spinning 10x5 APC-E props, separate Jeti 18A controllers and two 3S TP2100 packs. Configured this way, the plane came to exactly 47oz. Technically I could go with lighter packs since the draw is not that much (about 15-16A per motor), but weight is not gonna be an issue with such a light wing loading and ample power (300-320W on a fresh charge - that's over 100W/lb). This time I mades some mods. First the wing is in two pieces connecting in the middle with rods. The weak point of this plane has always been the bolts attaching the wing to the fuse. After sufficient high-G maneuvering, the wing bolts will sometimes tear out the foam around the attachment points and the wing will depart the fuse (happened to my friend). So instead of the plastic nuts, I used threaded wooden blocks to hold the wing more securely. Finally, I decided to go for a slightly different look, so I covered the plane with Ultracote. The maiden should be (hopefully) this weekend with pictures and video if possible!
Doc

P.S. Here's a video of my old Partenavia with a stock sp.480 motor setup flying in fairly brisk winds a couple of years ago...
http://www.iona.edu/faculty/livanov/...ia_4_16_05.wmv
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2006, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by Evo 78
Fly it like Ya mean it!
Laguna Beach
Joined Jul 2006
112 Posts
WOW! Great job!!
Evo 78 is offline Find More Posts by Evo 78
Old Oct 09, 2006, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by doc-e
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,151 Posts
Thanks!
Even though it seems this thread hasn't attracted much attention (I thought there were several guys on this forum flying Partenavias), as promissed, here are some pictures from yesterday. I'll post some video later today or tomorrow. Enjoy!
Doc
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by doc-e
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,151 Posts
As promised, here's the video:

http://www.iona.edu/faculty/livanov/...tenavia2_1.wmv

Enjoy!
Doc
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by Evo 78
Fly it like Ya mean it!
Laguna Beach
Joined Jul 2006
112 Posts
Thanks for posting the video! Im thinking of doing aerial photography, and do you think this would be a good airplane for this? It seems the larger wing span and two motors would help. Im shure there are many people flying these, maybe search the forums? Thank you for posting the video; great flying! Evo
Evo 78 is offline Find More Posts by Evo 78
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by PaulVi
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Very nice. It has a very scale aperance only thing giving it away is the lack of a pilots head in the windows..

what kind of flight times are you getting from this setup...
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Oct 10, 2006, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by MustangAce17
EDF Addicted
United States, FL, High Springs
Joined Sep 2005
5,490 Posts
im loving my Partenavia,got a video ill post a link to. Used two GWS 2212 13t,t 18's and 1 Tanice 1760 15 c 3 cell,plenty of power and super sweet
MustangAce17 is offline Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Old Oct 10, 2006, 06:51 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,490 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575371 there u go for the vid,the first pass is pretty quick but there was a good headwind
Old Oct 11, 2006, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by doc-e
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,151 Posts
Thanks, guys. The plane is indeed a lot of fun and very easy to fly. It it has a very low wing loading and hence flies "on the wing". Most of the time I'm flying it on 1/3 throttle, or simply gliding. The only time in I've gone to full throttle in the video above is for the hammerheads. Timewise, I've set my timer to 7min, but I usually end up using less 1/3 of the battery capacity, so I can comfortable stay up doing mild aerobatics for 15-20min or more. Believe it or not, the Partenavia can actually thermal on a good day. I had my old one up for close to 40min once with the engines off most of the time. Evo, I believe the Partenavia will make an excellent aerial video platform since can easily carry extra weight. The problem is that there aren't many of these planes left. Hobby Lobby used to carry them, but then they discontinued them, so now you can pick one up only if you pay attention to the "for sale" forums on EZone and RCU. Sometimes they come up on Ebay too.
My only beef with this plane is that the foam is very soft and you get dings in it just by holding the plane with your fingers. In all other respects it's one of the best planes I've ever flown.
Doc
Last edited by doc-e; Oct 11, 2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:16 PM
EDF Addicted
Joined Sep 2005
5,490 Posts
i agree with doc,great plane
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by doc-e
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,151 Posts
Hey, Ace, do you have any pictures of your Partenavia?

Here are a few pictures of my Partenavia's bigger brother - DeHavilland Dash-8, 72" wingspan, 6lbs AUW.

Doc
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by doc-e
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,151 Posts
A few new pictures...
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by cadconversions
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,646 Posts
Nice partenavia. Classic plane and glad it's available again (how-be-it hard to come by).
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Mar 09, 2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,352 Posts
Hey doc

Tom Smith here. I just picked up a used Partenavia and flew it this weekend. It wanted to climb like crazy. I had it balanced as per the manual but I had to use full down trim and fly with forward stick to keep it from looping itself. Mine has two HiMax brushless inrunners in it with 7x5 props. Did your have this tendancy to climb like crazy. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Mar 15, 2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by JWDen
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Aug 2014
447 Posts
Very nice plane. Thanks for sharing.
JWDen is online now Find More Posts by JWDen