Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by zekjet
Joined Feb 2007
22 Posts
Question
Whipit DLG help

So, bought a Whipit today and had to take it out and toss it even with the winds blowing about 20 Knots. Had one pronounced issue and another that may not be an issue but something I need to get used to.

The issue I had was a control issue trying to turn, especially left. Once at the top of the climb I would try to make a left turn to get downwind and come back to me into the wind. It would take almost full rudder to get the turn started. Once started I could hold the turn with normal rudder input.

Turns to the right seemed to be a little better but due to trees just to my right in the field I didn't get much chance to turn right.

There may have been a decent thermal just to the left of the airplane at the top of launch because it appeared to catch some lift after I would get it through 45 deg of turn but it also might have been a bit of "stick lift".

Could this be caused by trying to fly too slowly for the rudder to be effective? Is it more likely a need for more control throw? (I was flying 3D foamies so I am used to a lot of throw) I am going to increase my throws through changing the horn hole used and try that Sunday or Monday. Supposed to be less wind those days too.

The other issue was the elevator was super sensitive. CG is right where the instructions say to have it or slightly ahead. Non-computer radio so no expo possible. Might change that control arm hole also to reduce the elev throw.

Anyone have ideas on how best to address the rudder issue?
zekjet is online now Find More Posts by zekjet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by Cfiimei
New at this whole life thing
United States, IL, Sherrard
Joined Nov 2015
489 Posts
Howdy! #1... Don't fly in that much wind. 20 knots is way too high to fly the Whipit. With that kind of wind it would be very hard to determine how it handles. #2... Move the pushrods to a hole closer to the rudder on the rudder control horn. My experience is that with the Whipit you want as much throw as possible. Check that the rudder is centered, and if not carefully pinch or expand the little "U" in the rudder pushrod until it is.

Beyond that, wait for a calm day to try again. Take some tape and foam safe glue with you to the field, and have fun!
Cfiimei is online now Find More Posts by Cfiimei
Old Jun 25, 2016, 11:46 PM
Find More Posts by Cfiimei
New at this whole life thing
United States, IL, Sherrard
Joined Nov 2015
489 Posts
You might also try flexing the rudder hinge back and forth a bit when you have the rod off the horn to loosen it up a bit. If it is too stiff you may be running pushrod flex issues.
Cfiimei is online now Find More Posts by Cfiimei
Old Jun 26, 2016, 02:51 AM
Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
Get RAD! and stay RAD!
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jun 2013
1,145 Posts
I've flown the whipit a lot. I found in any sort of wind the rudder takes a while to get the turn going and then once it is, it seems too much, like all or nothing.

In evening dead air the whipit rocks! Turns are lovely and the thing floats around for a good amount of time as such a slow speed.

Hard to thermal as it just gets pushed out.

But a fun little thing, mine is just stock out the box, and I have my battery pushed to the back of the slot, but tried it forward as well in the wind and tbh I can't tell a lot of difference. Did pinch the elevator wire as mine had some down elevator out the box. Elevator level, battery all the way back and on calm days it's a winner.
i_am_mark_evans is offline Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Destroyed DLG!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 08:33 AM
Joined Feb 2007
22 Posts
Thanks guys,

Increased the rudder throw last night and got in a few tosses this morning. It was Oklahoma calm (winds around 10) so I could watch the flight of the plane better.

Rudder response was much better with the elevator still very touchy. I think I will stick and train my thumb for the elevator. Launch is low and fairly flat with a med throw but glide seems about right. I feel the launch should be steeper to get more height but that might come with harder launches or slightly more up angle at launch. It is almost neutral in pitch through the speed range in launch (no pitch as speed changes, needs a slight down pitch at the top)

After 30 min of flying last night and today I think it is a winner. Makes me want a heavier, glassed fancy DLG!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by Rewinged
FF lift master...sometimes
United States, OR, West Linn
Joined Feb 2010
248 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2450359

With a small glider like the Whipit, don't use a preset to rotate to climb, just throw it steeply upward. The Whipit flies great for its size, and thermals well.
Rewinged is online now Find More Posts by Rewinged
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,865 Posts
Whipit cool little glider for price. 20knot wind get real way to much for such small glider. To bad they don't go for 3 ch bigger version .
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 26, 2016, 08:13 PM
Joined Feb 2007
22 Posts
Ok, I will try increasing the angle of launch a little at a time to try to find the optimal angle. I am guessing something in the 45 to 60 degree range at the top of climb would be about right. Seems like when I get things steeply angled I cannot get a smooth transition at pushover.

Went out to fly when I got home tonight but it is raining with lightning, not good conditions even when I fly in winds of 20.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by Jasong911
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Jan 2011
416 Posts
I fly mine with tons of negative(!) expo just to stay ahead of it. Agree with the poster that said it seems to take a long time (with no expo) to start a turn and control the duration. I'm at 6000 ft here in Denver and that makes a ton of difference.

--Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasong911 is online now Find More Posts by Jasong911
Old Jun 27, 2016, 12:04 PM
Joined Feb 2007
22 Posts
Well, calm winds this morning. What a great little airplane! Started with side arm launches and moved up to more of a soft DLG style.

No noticeable pitch change through the speed range. Needed down stick (just a little) at the top of the climb to transition smoothly to glide.

Turns were like I would have expected, Obviously the problem was the winds that first day.

Thanks again for the help making sure she was set up right. I am going to start a new thread about flying the thing.