New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2016, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by Rodizio
Joined Mar 2012
267 Posts
Download
EZ-WifiBroadcast, cheap digital HD transmission made easy!

Well, the headline already says it, Wifibroadcast made easy.

The goal of this project is to make the usage of Befinitiv's Wifibroadcast (https://befinitiv.wordpress.com/wifi...ve-video-data/) easy for people who would be otherwise drawn away because it can become quite time consuming and frustrating setting everything up if you're not used to tinkering with linux. You just need to download the SD card image, put it on two SD cards, switch everything on and 15 seconds later you have a live HD picture.

Edit: Here's a (long) thread with more infos and experiences with Wifibroadcast:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2454052

Features:
---------
- Supports all Raspberry Pi models including Pi3, Pi Zero and also Odroid-W
- Supports the new Pi V2 cam
- Configuration can be done from Windows, no Linux knowledge required
- Support for 2.4Ghz band (incl. Channel 14) and all three 5Ghz bands on Ralink and Atheros cards
- Support for 2.3Ghz band on Atheros cards
- TXPower increased (and verified) for both Atheros and Ralink cards
- 2x transmit diversity support
- 6x receive diversity support using 3 cards (more should also be possible, just haven't tested that yet)
- Live RSSI display per card and defective blocks display
- Ground recording to USB stick
- Startup time reduced, now about 10-15 seconds depending on Pi model and Wifi cards used
- SD card reliability and general robustness tweaks (read-only filesystem, syslogging to SD disabled, etc.)

Wifi Cards:
----------
You have a lot of choice. All wifi cards with one of the following chipsets should work:

Atheros AR9271
Atheros AR9280
Atheros AR9287

Ralink RT2070
Ralink RT2770
Ralink RT2870
Ralink RT3070
Ralink RT3071
Ralink RT3072
Ralink RT3370
Ralink RT3572
Ralink RT5370
Ralink RT5372
Ralink RT5572

However, there might be whatever small issues that prevent those cards from working, so if you want to play it safe, choose one of the cards that have been tested by different people and definitely work:

- CSL 300Mbit Stick (2.4/5Ghz, Diversity, RT5572 chipset)
- Alfa AWUS036NHA (2.3/2.4Ghz, high power, Atheros AR9271 chipset)
- TPLink TL-WN722N (2.3/2.4Ghz, Atheros AR9271 chipset)
- ALFA AWUS051NH v2 (2.4Ghz/5Ghz, high power, Ralink RT3572 chipset)

This ones also looks promising for high power needs:
- Alfa AWUS052NH (2.4Ghz/5Ghz, Diversity, high power, RT3572 chipset)

On the other hand, if everybody gets the same cards, we'll never find out which other ones work. There are also very small and lightweight RT5370 cards available in china shops for under 4$. Aliexpress for example has a lot of cheap wifi cards in general. It would be nice if you report back your findings in case you tried a wifi card that is not listed here.

Installation / Setup
--------------------
- Download the image and unzip it
- Write it to two (minimum 1GB) SD Cards using Win32DiskImager or any other SD image write tool
- That's it

Configuration
-------------
- Put SD Card in Windows computer or anything that has a text editor (Tablet, Smartphone) and edit wifibroadcast.txt

Ground Recording
----------------
- USB Stick must contain a folder called "video"
- Plug USB stick to ground Pi before powering on
- Before disconnecting power, disconnect all USB sticks and wait a few seconds for the recording to be stopped, then power off

Please report back if it works for you. Also if it doesn't

Dowloadlinks:
V1.2:
http://en.file-upload.net/download-1...t-1.2.zip.html

V1.0:
http://en.file-upload.net/download-1...t-1.0.zip.html

(Sorry for the crappy filehosters, couldn't find anything better quickly. Consider using an adblocker like "uBlock Origin").

Edit: Bortek was so kind to set up a Github page with Wiki and alternate downloadlinks.

Wiki with downloadlinks: https://github.com/bortek/EZ-WifiBroadcast/wiki
Main Page: https://github.com/bortek/EZ-WifiBroadcast

Edit: EZ-Wifibroadcast Version 1.2 has been released.

Changes from version 1.0 to 1.2:

- Befi's and Rangarid's OSD integrated
- Raspbian Update to Kernel 4.11 and latest Raspberry Firmware / Userland (Pi Zero/V2 Cam)
- Display of configured Frequency and FEC-Parameters at the bottom of the screen
- Ralink: Different bitrates for video and telemetry possible
- Ralink: Wifi bitrate can be configured via wifibroadcast.txt
- Atheros: Wifi bitrate can be configured via module parameter
- Ralink: TXPower can be configured via module parameter
- Supports V2 Cam 1280x720 up to 75fps, 1640x922 up to 48fps
- AIFS/Backoff parameters tweaked, Atheros chipsets now give about 10-15% more throughput, Ralink about 3%
- Atheros LED behaviour tweaked, blinks faster now, is "more sensitive"
- CPU/GPU/RAM overclocked and force_turbo activated for less/more stable Latency and higher possible bitrate on Pi1/Zero
- USB Ethernet Tethering support activated in Kernel (for smartphones)
- DHCP enabled on Ethernet interfac (system will contact the DHCP server with "wifibroadcast-tx" or "wifibroadcast-rx" hostname)
- Bash-prompt shows ro/rw status of the filesystem, macros ("rw","ro") added for quick switching
- Reduced TXPower for Atheros chipsets slightly (just to be on the safe side)
- Reduced TXPower for Ralink chipsets to default level
- Patched Atheros Firmware for additional Atheros Chipsets (AR9287, e.g. TPLink 822N V2)
- TX shows some status infos after startup
- video.c changed to 240fps for less latency/jitter
- addedd fflush to rx prozess (just to make sure ...)
- disabled Systemd journal daemon (used up CPU ...)
- Kept software, tools and libs etc. in the image, should make modifying or adding own features to the image easier
- Support for two TX wifi dongles. Experimental right now, not in the config file, has to be configured manually in Linux

Bugfixes:
- Potential rapidly raising latency, stuttering image on Pi1/Zero in some cases: overclocked CPU/GPU/RAM, force_turbo=1, enabled performance governoer, reduced bitrate to 4.5Mbit, video.c patched to 240fps, added fflush in RX process, removed systemd-journald

- AWUSH051NH and 052NH did not work cleanly as TX on 5Ghz band: Reduced TXPower for Ralink chipsets

Tested wifi dongles:
AWUS036NH, AWUS036NHA, AWUS051NH, TL-WN722N, TL-WN822N V2, CSL 300Mbit stick

(My favourites for 2.4Ghz are TL-WN722N and AWUS036NHA at the moment, for 5Ghz the AWUS051NH. The more I test with the CSL 300Mbit dongles, the less I like them, not much TXPower, unclean signal when TXPower raised, they seem to have problems with high power TX cards when used as an RX card (bad blocks when being to near) and somehow there seem to be more badblocks compared to the 722N when used on a wifi channel with other wifi networks.)

Tested Raspberry Hardware:
Pi 1 B+, Pi2 B+, Pi3 B+, Pi Zero 1.3, Odroid-W
official Pi V1 Cam ("V1.3" on the PCB), official Pi V2 Cam ("V2.1" on the PCB)

Note:

TX: The CPUs on the Raspberry Pi 1 and Pi Zero are more or less maxxed out with standard settings (720p, 4.5Mbit bitrate, 8/4/1024 FEC). Two TX dongles, higher resolution/bitrate, or more error correction or smaller packet sizes will not work. Even if it seems to be working on first look, it can happen that latency suddenly raises if the CPU is loaded to much (in situations with high bitrate, like fast scene changes). I'd recommend a Pi2 or 3 as a TX because of this, it has enough headroom to not be worried about CPU usage at all.

RX: Raspberry Pi1 and Pi Zero have just about enough CPU power for one RX dongle, that's it. Multiple RX dongles, OSD, and/or ground-recording to memory stick will not work reliably. Get atleast a Pi2.
Rodizio is online now Find More Posts by Rodizio
Last edited by Rodizio; Jul 21, 2016 at 06:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2016, 09:38 AM
Find More Posts by tshado
France
Joined May 2009
243 Posts
@Rodizio
I have been following the other very long thread about wifi broacast for hd Fpv
Thanks a lot for having made a such good summary/tuto
I have 1 raspberry 1,
2 rasperry 2
1 raspberry 3
And soon a rasp pi 0 with csi interface
I need to complete my shopping list and will let you know :-)
Cheers
tshado is online now Find More Posts by tshado
Old May 16, 2016, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by derelicte
Joined Aug 2006
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshado View Post
And soon a rasp pi 0 with csi interface
where did you get it from?
derelicte is online now Find More Posts by derelicte
Old May 16, 2016, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by mmormota
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,745 Posts
Pimoroni has kits and cable.
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota
Old May 16, 2016, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by mmormota
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodizio View Post
Well, the headline already says it, Wifibroadcast made easy.
Thank you for the great work.

Now I can build a small, practical Tx unit using the new Pi Zero.
An EzAndroid version for the Rx side could make it competitive to Lightbridge.
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota
Old May 16, 2016, 02:10 PM
Joined Aug 2006
3,370 Posts
thanks!
Old May 16, 2016, 02:23 PM
Joined Mar 2012
267 Posts
Yeah, really cool with the new Pi Zero with camera port.

Combined with such a mini spy cam for the Pi:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1937

And a 3$ mini wifi stick:
http://de.aliexpress.com/item/100-Or...902217209.html

It makes for an incredibly small and cheap HD system.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by ioi8
United States, OH, Elyria
Joined May 2016
7 Posts
Anyone know of a cheap 5.8Ghz wifi stick that is compatible?
ioi8 is offline Find More Posts by ioi8
Old May 17, 2016, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by dweano
Joined May 2015
80 Posts
I have a couple questions:

1. I am a semi newb...should I try it?

2. Does it have live output? Or just for recording? How do you get the image on your goggles?

3. Can you use aftermarket antennas? If so...does diversity work the same way? Like you could have one omni and one directional?

4. Does using a Pi zero or a Pi 3 matter much? In terms of lag or something?

Thanks! I have browsed the other threads like this but it has always been over my head
dweano is offline Find More Posts by dweano
Old May 17, 2016, 03:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
3,370 Posts
1. only you can answer this
2. of course it has live output. it isn't any use for fpv without that
3. you can use any antenna you want. some probably work better than others. see the other thread for known working examples.
4. you can use any pi. now that the zero has a camera input, it is probably the best choice for the tx. it is fine for the rx too if you only want to use 1 wifi adapter.
Old May 17, 2016, 03:16 PM
Joined Aug 2006
3,370 Posts
rodizio,

you should put a link to the main thread in the first post.
Old May 18, 2016, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by jregholdsworth
Joined Jul 2006
229 Posts
Trying to add OSD ..but the minimalist version of raspbian doesn't seem to have wlan scanning or the adapter on a raspberry pi 3 is somehow blocked ....just playing with the rx side first. in any event establishing a wifi link with the on board wifi facilities to get to the OSD software modules is proving difficult.

Also trying to change to an English keyboard using the raspi-config method doesn't seem to work..any ideas..my linux knowledge is poor..to say the least.

Any pointers much appreciated

regards JH
jregholdsworth is offline Find More Posts by jregholdsworth
Old May 18, 2016, 08:48 AM
Joined Mar 2012
267 Posts
derelicte:
Yes, will add a link.

dweano:
1. Since wifibroadcast is still relatively new, we're more or less all newbs at it, so I guess that doesn't matter

2. Yes, of course

3. That's an interesting question WiFi digital data transmission is very different from analog video transmission. I'd say which antennas in what configuration give best results with Wifibroadcast is yet to be determined. Right now my feeling is, that expensive circular FPV antennas are not really needed as long as you don't fly acrobatics.

4. Any Pi will work, however, the Pi1 and Zeros have a lot less processing power than the Pi2/3, higher bitrates and an additional OSD can give problems. I also noticed weird image problems when shaking the cam very fast with the Pi1 as a receiver, but haven't looked into that further yet. So I'd use atleast a Pi2 to play it safe.

jregholdsworth:
I've disabled all the wireless stuff and also the kernel module for the interal wireless card because I didn't want it to interfere with wifibroadcast.

If you want to connect to it remotely, you can either use ethernet and configure the network with:

"sudo ifconfig eth0 <desired IP for the Pi> up"
"sudo route add default gw <your router's IP>"

(if you don't want to do that everytime, you can also add those two lines to the ".profile" file)

Or use a serial connection (be careful not to power it via serial and micro-USB at the same time).

Regarding the keyboard config: Hmm, didn't notice that, will look into it when I have time.
Old May 18, 2016, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by dweano
Joined May 2015
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodizio View Post

dweano:
1. Since wifibroadcast is still relatively new, we're more or less all newbs at it, so I guess that doesn't matter

2. Yes, of course

3. That's an interesting question WiFi digital data transmission is very different from analog video transmission. I'd say which antennas in what configuration give best results with Wifibroadcast is yet to be determined. Right now my feeling is, that expensive circular FPV antennas are not really needed as long as you don't fly acrobatics.

4. Any Pi will work, however, the Pi1 and Zeros have a lot less processing power than the Pi2/3, higher bitrates and an additional OSD can give problems. I also noticed weird image problems when shaking the cam very fast with the Pi1 as a receiver, but haven't looked into that further yet. So I'd use atleast a Pi2 to play it safe.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply....I might have to check this out...once I get a better pair of goggles. I guess having 720 or 1080 would be wasted on my 800x480 display. Even though I bet it would look alot better than what I have now.

Anyways...what does this mean then:

- 2x transmit diversity support
- 6x receive diversity support using 3 cards (more should also be possible, just haven't tested that yet)

-Does digital diversity just mean higher bandwidth? I think that is how some wifi routers use with all those multiple antennas.

-Has anyone used this on ground rovers before? Low resolution is weird/worse than in the air because on the ground close up details matter more (for me it seems like)

-Would a high power 2.4ghz wifi card have better range than a 5.8ghz wifi card? That is how analog would work but I have no idea about digital stuff.

-What is the max range anyone has pushed this setup?

-Would using a pi zero as a transmitter and a pi3 as a receiver still work good? Or would the advantages of the pi3 be limited by the pi zero transmission ability?
dweano is offline Find More Posts by dweano
Old May 18, 2016, 10:31 AM
Joined Aug 2006
3,370 Posts
2x tx diversity means you are using a wifi adapter with 2 antennas. 6x rx diversity means you are using 3 wifi adapters with 2 antennas each. has anyone actually shown that the wifi adapters transmit on both antennas? I'm not sure they do.

adding more wifi adapters doesn't increase the bandwidth, just the chance of improving reception. not much bw is needed to transmit the compressed video.

the tx pi does very little work which is why you can use any version. the rx does all of the work, especially if you are using multiple adapters and/or the osd. using a newer/faster pi as the tx really only reduces the boot time a little bit.

I keep meaning to stick this on my rc car but just haven't gotten around to it. I actually think it will be pretty neat, but it might be a little big for my 1/18 rc buggy.