Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by Justin K
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
Discussion
Seagull Skybolt

Has anyone had a look at the new Seagull Steen Skybolt yet ?

It looks nice but it seems to have disappeared since it was unveiled earlier this year.
Justin K is offline Find More Posts by Justin K
Last edited by Justin K; Jul 19, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2015, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by NJulius
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
Just bought one a couple of weeks ago, plenty of places carry it.
SIG is ware I bought mine.
This is one good looking biplane, the build is pretty easy too.
Im powering mine with a DLE20cc with pits muffler mounted inverted, with this motor the cowl needs to be extended about a 1/2 inch.
I also painted the cock pit flat black and used a much better looking pilot figure.
NJulius is offline Find More Posts by NJulius
Old Aug 09, 2015, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
United States, CO, Oxford
Joined Feb 2012
554 Posts
I've been thinking about the Skybolt also. Sig is cares Seagull models now. I think Horizon Hobby's would only carry a few of there ARF's so they would not compete with there other models. You can now get all of the ARF's Seagull has from Sig.
DMHIGHFLYER is offline Find More Posts by DMHIGHFLYER
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by mustflynow2
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,786 Posts
It looks gorgeous! Any chance of some detailed comments\pictures?
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:39 AM
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
They are now available in the UK according to the distributor but I've yet to see one in any of the online stores.
Have you flown yours yet NJulius ? anyone else got one ??
Old Aug 30, 2015, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by B NEASHAM
United Kingdom, England, Darlington
Joined Apr 2006
25 Posts
I was in Model Shop Leeds yesterday and I noticed they had one in stock, the gold/black scheme, after a quick look in the box I bought it!
Reasonable price too, 222.50.
Don't know if they had more than one in stock
B NEASHAM is offline Find More Posts by B NEASHAM
Old Aug 30, 2015, 05:03 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,786 Posts
Lets see it,please, I'm a million miles from a lhs, am wondering if a os GT 22 will fit and how practical demounting the wings is? Please
Old Sep 05, 2015, 03:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEASHAM View Post
I was in Model Shop Leeds yesterday and I noticed they had one in stock, the gold/black scheme, after a quick look in the box I bought it!
Reasonable price too, 222.50.
Don't know if they had more than one in stock

Good man , what do you think?
The only thing stopping me buying one is that Seagull say it has plug in wings and its supplied with wing transport frames but looking at the manual online it seems the bottom wing isn't a plug in fit (underslung) and the manual seems to say it's to be bonded into a one piece wing. I cant see how this can work with wing transportation frames?
Pictured is how they did it with the (Seagull factory built) Hangar 9 Christen Eagle, I like the way the aileron connector rods and the inter plane struts can be left joined & Seagull seem to describe the Skybolt as being of the same design but I just cant see how it works ??
I have asked them directly via email and on the facebook page but they won't respond.
Old Sep 05, 2015, 05:22 AM
Find More Posts by B NEASHAM
United Kingdom, England, Darlington
Joined Apr 2006
25 Posts
I can confirm that NO wing transport frames are included, and the manual shows the bottom wing glued together, because of this I will more than likely make the top wing one piece as well.
Build quality seems fine, the covering job on my example is average with quite a few wrinkles to iron out, although with a lot of black in the colour scheme it tends to look worse than it is.
Going to power it with a YS 110 I have spare, I expect it should be ample for my needs!
B NEASHAM is offline Find More Posts by B NEASHAM
Old Sep 05, 2015, 06:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEASHAM View Post
I can confirm that NO wing transport frames are included, and the manual shows the bottom wing glued together, because of this I will more than likely make the top wing one piece as well.
Build quality seems fine, the covering job on my example is average with quite a few wrinkles to iron out, although with a lot of black in the colour scheme it tends to look worse than it is.
Going to power it with a YS 110 I have spare, I expect it should be ample for my needs!
Thanks for that. Well that is disappointing and a down right lie on behalf of Seagull models. I was / am keen but could do without a faf at the field really.
I have a Saito 115 waiting for this one but will probably buy the Seagull Christen Eagle now.
Your YS should be ample indeed lol. What are the fittings like on the skybolt?
Last edited by Justin K; Sep 05, 2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2015, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by 900ftjesus
fly by night
United States, CT, Roxbury
Joined Apr 2012
8 Posts
Hey guys, I just completed my skybolt build. I bought mine from sig.com. Price was $324. Plane came packaged nice. Everything intact with no damage. It's a nice looking kit, the black and gold scheme looks sharp. The covering job is pretty good... I've built a bunch of hanger 9 arf and I felt they do a better job but that's all I can compare with. So first I'll say that the manual is light on descriptions and details. If you've built a few planes you can figure it all out but it wasn't without some challenge. I used an evolution 15gx engine which fits pretty easily on the this plane and I love using gas engines! First issues encountered were mounting gas tank which isn't easily accomplished because of its location deep inside the fuselage. Don't mount it to far to the front or you will have issues with clearance once you mount the engine. I discovered this the hard way and they have you hard mount tank using a balsa block you glue in. So don't do that. Next was the throttle linkage.. The servo mounts directly inline with the fuel tank and they don't detail linkage installation so I had to route the linkage around the tank and then back to center of motor mount to reach desired location.. Not ideal in my opinion. Also the throttle linkage connector supplied for the servo arm came without being drilled. I had to drill a small hole in it so that linkage could slide through. They did provide set screw but forgot to drill it!?! The control surfaces are all ca hinges which went fine. And elevator and rudder assembly and setup went well. The top wing is in three pieces. A central root that mounts to top of plane. A wing tube and then the wings slide into place and mount using an m3 bolt. Bottom Wing is glued together with a wing tube and then mounts to fuselage. Now here's where it gets strange. All your servos and rx and everything mounts inverted under fuselage. So you plug in bottom wing and mount to plane. Dowels hold the front and some plastic wing bolts hold the rear. Then they want you mount an aerodynamic cover over the wing and epoxy it!! There is no other way to mount it and if you leave it off it would look terrible. But to epoxy it means that lower wing isn't removable unless you break this cover off. I plan on leaving wings in place. I live right next to my field and it fits in back of my truck in one piece but this makes transporting this plane difficult. I've yet to maiden it as I just completed the build but I'm curious if anyone has built one and encountered similar issues. I also had some missing hardware. Some m4 nuts to mount top wing weren't in my kit. Had to pick me up. Cool looking plane and I love the size.. I just feel the design team could use some work on this one. I'll post once I've flown it and let you know how it went. Fingers crossed
900ftjesus is offline Find More Posts by 900ftjesus
Old Oct 03, 2015, 04:02 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,786 Posts
Thanks for posting your thoughts 900ftj. Question, could the belly pan be secured, leaving access to the wingbolts? Are there no through holes for the wingbolts? Then could the wing be removed as one piece easily enough.
For me the skybolt is academic at this stage as i have gone with the seagull bucker 133 for my 22cc engine, looking forward to your flight reports though, good luck!
Old Oct 04, 2015, 06:36 AM
fly by night
Joined Apr 2012
8 Posts
There are access holes to remove the wing bolts mustfly, and I thought the same thing,but the dowels into the fuselage at the front make it so even after bolts are removed you can't slide wing out the side. And you can't lift rear portion of wing to allow dowels to free up because the panel is there. I'll post a pic of the panel installed. For me this isn't the end of the world, I can leave wings installed but I know it's a feature most people need. Just kind of a strange design blunder unless I'm missing something. Posting one picture with panel and one without
Old Oct 04, 2015, 06:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900ftjesus View Post
There are access holes to remove the wing bolts mustfly, and I thought the same thing,but the dowels into the fuselage at the front make it so even after bolts are removed you can't slide wing out the side. And you can't lift rear portion of wing to allow dowels to free up because the panel is there. I'll post a pic of the panel installed. For me this isn't the end of the world, I can leave wings installed but I know it's a feature most people need. Just kind of a strange design blunder unless I'm missing something. Posting one picture with panel and one without

Yes thanks for that and i to look forward to your flight report. The whole bottom wing thing seems to be a big error by seagull , in development and in much of the sales listings they state plug in wings and transportation frames. I emailed the UK importer and they have changed the description on their web site.
This cover piece issue compounds the problem , looks like they have released this one to soon.
Looks great tho . J
Old Oct 15, 2015, 09:15 AM
fly by night
Joined Apr 2012
8 Posts
Well I flew my maiden flight. After I finished the build the cg was just about where they recommend without having to move anything around or add weight so that was a plus. I used a 14x6 prop on my 15gx for break in and first flight. I may up this to a 15x8 for more pull next time. Had a cross wind at my field and almost didn't maiden it but in the end I couldn't wait and went for it. First impressions are, this thing is really heavy! After take off I could barely climb with the 15cc engine. Also the recommended throws in low rate of 10mm weren't enough. I instantly needed to switch to high rates to get it to maneuver. After a few trim adjustments she was flying ok. Great looking plane in the air and it flys in a very scale manner. I need to up my rates for next flight as roll rate is very slow. Like a high wing trainer on barrel rolls lol. Also I feel I need to lean the engine out for some more rpm and change props. Overall the is plane flew nice but I was expecting some nice acrobatic characteristics and they just weren't there. Maybe a 20cc engine would work better? I'll continue to tune and play with it for next time and post any results. if I can figure out how to post a video or a link to one I will.