New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2014, 04:37 AM View Post
Volantex RC
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by orcas flier
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
228 Posts
This plane has been long awaited by those of us flying other Lanyu planes, in my case the Phoenix 2000 motor glider. Both share the durable plastic fuselage.
The problem has been finding WHERE to purchase one! This plane is currently available at General Hobbies.
I would really like to hear a flight report from someone who owns one!
orcas flier is offline Find More Posts by orcas flier
Old Sep 04, 2014, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by cropcircle
Joined Oct 2012
124 Posts
Now on HobbyKing:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...00mm_ARF_.html
cropcircle is offline Find More Posts by cropcircle
Old Jan 03, 2015, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by NoMoGlo
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Nov 2014
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier View Post
This plane has been long awaited by those of us flying other Lanyu planes, in my case the Phoenix 2000 motor glider. Both share the durable plastic fuselage.
The problem has been finding WHERE to purchase one! This plane is currently available at General Hobbies.
I would really like to hear a flight report from someone who owns one!
You can find a youtube video of the unboxing and the maiden flight at Aussie RC Playground website.
NoMoGlo is online now Find More Posts by NoMoGlo
Last edited by NoMoGlo; Jan 03, 2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2015, 11:24 AM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
228 Posts
Purchased one from General Hobby. Good quality, flies predictably, flaps slow it down noticeably and power is adequate but I'd like a little more. I don't like the prop adapter. Mine flew off at the first run up and bent. Replaced with a unit from Tower for less than $5 shipped.
ESC is rated for 2-4s but I can't find anything regarding the capability of the motor. Waiting to hear from Volantex...
Old Jan 04, 2015, 01:41 PM
Joined Nov 2014
236 Posts
Specs on the HK international website state that the motor is a 4023, 1000kv motor and if it is the same motor that shows up on a search on the same website the specs on the motor show a max voltage of 12.
Old Jan 04, 2015, 08:45 PM
Joined Nov 2014
236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcas flier View Post
Purchased one from General Hobby. Good quality, flies predictably, flaps slow it down noticeably and power is adequate but I'd like a little more. I don't like the prop adapter. Mine flew off at the first run up and bent. Replaced with a unit from Tower for less than $5 shipped.
ESC is rated for 2-4s but I can't find anything regarding the capability of the motor. Waiting to hear from Volantex...

If I may ask, what were the shipping charges from General Hobby to you in Washington state? When I was pricing the Decathlon the price for the plane was reasonable but +$30.00 shipping seemed a tad high from California to Oklahoma.
Last edited by NoMoGlo; Jan 09, 2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2014
236 Posts
A little research indicates this model is not a Super Decathlon but instead a Citabria bearing a Super Decathlon name.
The Super Decathlon does not have flaps.
Citabria made one model (7GCBC) that has flaps.
This model has a flat bottom wing.
Citabria has a flat bottom wing.
Super Decathlon uses a symmetrical wing.
The Citabria and Decathlon airframes are very similar in appearance but of course there are many structural and power differences.
I'm not being a nit picker, just supplying this info for those interested in this model as a scale representation.
I will still buy one, I'll just leave the "Super Decathlon" decals off and call it what it is, a Citabria.

Steve
Last edited by NoMoGlo; Jan 25, 2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 12:03 PM
Joined Nov 2014
236 Posts
Decathlon/Citabria

I couldn't resist the on sale price on this plane and ordered one from AMAIN HOBBIES today for $149.99. Shipping was the cheapest I have seen too @$15.99 from the west coast. Hobby King missed the boat on this one.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 10:02 AM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
228 Posts
Response from the manufacturer was use only 3s, motor not rated for 4s. With a different (larger blade area) 12x6 prop it pulls 38 A and has a 40A ESC. I'm very happy with this plane.
Old Mar 08, 2015, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by crtaylor
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
660 Posts
will have mine next week . Amain hobbies . cant beat the price
crtaylor is offline Find More Posts by crtaylor
Old Mar 09, 2015, 09:51 AM
Joined Nov 2014
236 Posts
Mine is on the way to my house now via UPS. I have been looking at this one for a couple of months but when I saw the price from AMain Hobbies I had to pull the trigger. I have seen nothing but positive reports on this plane. Looks like a good "every day" plane, lots of versatility.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by Vrated
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoGlo View Post
Mine is on the way to my house now via UPS. I have been looking at this one for a couple of months but when I saw the price from AMain Hobbies I had to pull the trigger. I have seen nothing but positive reports on this plane. Looks like a good "every day" plane, lots of versatility.
Please keep us posted on this guy. I have always been intrigued by the Decathlon/Citabria. I especially like the plastic fuselage concept.
~Fred
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Mar 09, 2015, 05:11 PM
United States, WA, Olga
Joined Dec 2011
228 Posts
Had some excellent weather last weekend so I took the Super D up a few times. Really like how this plane handles. I'm a push it to the limits of my ability type of flier. My abilities are improving so I feel comfortable doing giant loops, aileron rolls, stall turns, spins, snap rolls, and other simple aerobatics. This plane easily does it all. Put the flaps way down and she slows down nicely. Flaps are not needed for landing, just fun to play with. The wing loading is a bit higher than most of my other planes so she takes a bit of a run to get airborne and lands at a faster speed than I'm used to. No problem with a rough field either. I fly from a mowed hay field! Looks great in the air, handles great, inexpensive, that's all I need from a plane. Had one landing with flaps that ended in a sort of plop. The excellent gear took the load, zero damage. Gotta love that.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 09:46 PM
Joined Nov 2014
236 Posts
Control throws?

Just finished unboxing and everything looks good. I will start the assembly tomorrow but while looking through the manuel, I see no recommended control throws. Can someone please advise how they have theirs set up? I can always guesstimate but would prefer to go with what works well from the get go. Thanks in advance for your input.

Steve