Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by rdwoebke
The Self Confuser
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
Mini-HowTo
JR XG6 DLG Switch Modification

Since 1996 I have been using a JR783 as my primary radio. It is a good radio and is pretty good for DLG but a big downside being it was one of the last radios from the generation that predated the ability to backup and copy programs. It only has 8 model memories with no way to copy or transfer programs.

The 8 model memory limit has been an issue for years and the last few I have been looking at picking up a radio to allow me to have more readily flyable models. A big problem for me has been that until recently anything capable of DLG I was looking at $500-600. After thinking about what I fly some and what I would like in a radio I wanted the following (in order of importance):

1) Built in glider programming for DLG type models and 6 servo sailplanes
2) Flight Modes
3) Model transfer ability to a PC or a card
4) Under $500.00
5) Native 2.4
6) Built in Telemetry

The last 2 are kind of nice to haves but something I found important. I didnít want to get caught out like I did in 1996 with a feature like model transfer that at the time was newish and now is really a standard requirement. After looking at the radio landscape for a bit I kept getting pulled back to the XG6. There are a lot of great radios but the XG6 price has always been quite good for what the features include and recently Horizon dropped the price down to $180 so after a bit of final research and I decided to pull the trigger.

The downside to the XG6 is that it doesnít come with a 3 position switch and the momentary push button switches are on the face of the radio. Gliders want a 3 position switch (or maybe even a 4 position) and DLG guys would like a momentary switch on the outer corner of the radio. Here is what it looks like when you pull it from the box:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/JRP00619

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
I have to give a shout out to Thomas Lee who I pinged to get some info on the XG6. He told me that some local flyers had installed a 3 position switch although he wasnít sure how. Reading that was all I needed to switch the light bulb on.

This is where I need to add a disclaimer that I have no idea what making these mods to an XG6 does to your warranty. Honestly my opinion is that a $180 radio that comes with a $100 receiver is a $80 transmitter and I am perfectly willing to risk the warranty on a $80 radio. For this reason and other legal reasons this thread should be considered only for entertainment purposes.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:29 PM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
For my conversion project I bought 2 switches from Fryís. One is an on off on switch (3 position witch) and the other is (on) off (on). The parenthesis around the on means it is momentary contact (spring loaded). The switches have a .25 inch thread and these were the only switches at Fryís that were spring loaded and 3 position. Alternatively I thought about going with a pushbutton for the launch switch but Fryís didnít have one. I may switch to that over the spring loaded at some point. The 2 switches cost me a little over $5.00
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:30 PM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
Opening up the radio is a simple matter of removing 8 screws. I would have needed to do this anyway to add the ratchet (instead of the smooth) to the throttle stick and to increase the tension on the stick springs. So that wasnít a big deal to me.

The back of the radio as it comes from the factory looks like this. I spent some time working with a multimeter to confirm that at least for my radio the black wires go to ground. This is important for setting up the 3 position switch.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:30 PM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
To gain the 3 position switch required combining both of the factory installed switches. To me this is a better setup as I havenít ever used a switch on the right side of a radio in my nearly 20 years of flying RC gliders. Basically what you do is take the 2 black wires from the 2 switches (flight mode and aux is how JR labels them) and put that on the center of the 3 position switch and then take the green wires and one goes on each of the outer pins of the 3 position switch. Which goes where doesnít really matter. You can assign the flight modes to any switch. In my setup I have Speed as one switch on, float as the other switch on, and cruise as the default.

After the modifications the inside of the radio looks like this:

Here is a video of me working the switches:
XG6 3 position switch operation (0 min 10 sec)
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:31 PM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
The momentary buttons canít really be moved to the corners and still operate as a button (more on this later). They are little micro PC board buttons and there is a plastic piece that actually serves as the button and spring that sort of only works on the spots on the face. So that is where I used the (on) off (on) switch from Frys to replace one of the buttons. I wired it up so that the 2 outer pins are shorted together so that if the switch is pushed either forward or backward it operates the switch in the radio. I think the spring loaded switch works OK. I might in the future change over to a button. Fryís didnít have any buttons but I am sure I could get a suitable button at digikey or wherever. Here is what the leftover parts that a person removes looks like:
Last edited by rdwoebke; Jun 25, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:31 PM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
Now that I have consolidated the 2 corner switches this leaves the place that had been a switch on the upper right corner unused. There are 2 things that could be done here. One is to put the button that I took out in that whole. That works but it makes the radio look a little weird and after hand holding the radio a bit I realized I sometimes hold it right hand only and use the switch on the upper right to stabilize the radio. I ended up putting the original switch back in. It is a switch that does nothing and isnít wired to anything.

Ryan
Last edited by rdwoebke; Jun 25, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:40 PM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
And that is pretty much it.

Ryan
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by ThomasLee
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
4,257 Posts
Cool stuff Ryan!!! I asked my friend Robust to follow the thread later after work to see if he did anything different. I can't be sure but I think he had the 3 pos switch and the other switch still works for something else, but I can't be sure. Hope he can chime in later!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vibe Assembly Instructions
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:24 PM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
Thanks, Thomas. I definitely would like to hear from your friend.

With the way I did it a person could have kept that switch on the right and instead used the button on the right to combine with the switch on the left for 3 position functionality. I didn't see the purpose of keeping either though. I'm not sure what the value would be for any more switches or buttons. For how I fly DLG a 3 position switch and a momentary launch switch are the only switches I want to use.

Ryan
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:24 AM
Find More Posts by robust
Beginner
Shenzhen , China
Joined Feb 2008
113 Posts
Ryan, here is my XG6 and I modified it with 3-pos switch and spring switch for DLG. In China a few pilots follow me and modifiy their XG6 for DLG flying too.

For this thread I would like to use the photoes from Mr. Liu Xiaofeng a DLG pilot from Tianjian China, he draw a schematic for the modification.
robust is offline Find More Posts by robust
Last edited by robust; Jun 28, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:41 AM
Beginner
Shenzhen , China
Joined Feb 2008
113 Posts
Base on the modification, your XG6 could use right hand side 3-P switch to get the fly modes as speed - cruise - Thermal (need to rename in the menu). And use left hand side spring switch you could get "launch mode" (infact it's "speed" mode+elevator preset) , and the "launch mode" is with highest priority than any other fly mode. I would attache my setting file later, you can try it!

With this modification, the function of the two buttom switches would keep their own function as before, you could use them or just forget them.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:45 AM
Beginner
Shenzhen , China
Joined Feb 2008
113 Posts
Here is the thread that Mr. Liu Xiaofeng posted in a Chinese DLG forum.

http://www.tsmx.cn/bbs/forum.php?mod...read&tid=15398

And here is the another thread I posted in the same DLG forum

http://www.tsmx.cn/bbs/forum.php?mod...read&tid=14698
Last edited by robust; Jun 28, 2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:34 AM
The Self Confuser
Joined Feb 2004
18,046 Posts
Thanks for posting the info! Interesting way to do this and another viable solution.

Ryan
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by JamesCH
Falling with style
Thailand, Bangkok
Joined Oct 2011
90 Posts
I haven't found a need to mod the switches yet. But I throw in my mod to the spoiler stick so that it returns to non-deploying position.
JR XG6 Spoiler Stick Mod (0 min 30 sec)
JamesCH is offline Find More Posts by JamesCH