New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2015, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by rc_addict1
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2015
17 Posts
Discussion
cheaper modes

Hi guys I've recently been approved for a Hobbyking wholesale account. I'm thinking about starting a small hobby business in Brisbane with the aim of selling your favorite HK products at a discounted rate. We're also looking at offering advice and 7 day a week pick up.
If you're wondering why??? basically we're two guys super keen on anything RC. Recently we've been thinking how great would it be if we could buy our HK products on the weekend and not wait for delivery. Then we got thinking about how awesome it would be to get the products cheaper and it all started from there. I already have a successful business so you could say I'm doing this for the love not the money.
We're keen to hear your thoughts and gauge if anyone is interested. Post or email me at [email]electrica1@westnet.com.au
rc_addict1 is offline Find More Posts by rc_addict1
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by LooseSox
Loose Sox Special Spec
Australia, SA, Modbury North
Joined Feb 2012
1,613 Posts
An interesting idea, pending what pricing structure you secure with them. There used to be a Hobby King store in Adelaide, branded HK, stocked with 95% HK lines. The issue was that their wholesale account entitled them to a grand total of a whopping 10% less than HK website pricing. Throw in GST and you're back up to retail rrp, then freight. Don't know if it's fixed now but HK used to make a tidy commission on wholesale freight so they conveniently picked the most expensive option for you.

All this combined led to a store front selling HK lines on par, if not at a higher price, than parkzone and eflite products!

Not trying to put you off, just suggesting you be very careful and thoroughly do the sums before dropping any cash on the endeavour.
LooseSox is online now Find More Posts by LooseSox
Old Feb 17, 2015, 02:12 AM
Find More Posts by H2SO4
Mixmasta belongum jeezus kraes
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,849 Posts
Agree with what LooseSox said - be cautious and cold when doing the sums. The remaining bricks 'n' mortar LHSs are also HK resellers, openly or otherwise. Most people who can't wait a few days for that OrangeRX receiver know they can pick it up from the LHS at a mere 300% markup.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Feb 17, 2015, 02:43 AM
Find More Posts by RingburnDave
Goes in hot, comes out hotter.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2009
222 Posts
redacted
RingburnDave is offline Find More Posts by RingburnDave
Last edited by RingburnDave; Mar 06, 2015 at 02:01 AM. Reason: redacted
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:13 AM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,650 Posts
Saturday afternoon about 5 I decide to see whether there were any worthwhile savings in the HK Aust warehouse sale. The result was waiting for me at home today. If I'd broken something even Sunday, I'd still have far better odds than a small reseller that the warehouse would have me good to go on the next weekend.

Unless you can match the whole stock of the warehouse, you're doomed. You won't be able to keep up with the flood of new product and old stuff will be dead. Noone will ever get you to order stuff in, because it will arrive quicker and as cheap direct. The warehouse is your supplier and your most deadly competitor - I can't see that as a business model.

Doing it for love rather than money - spend the time, especially the time and dollars you'd lose trying to run a money pit on buying and playing with more toys. I watched the slow death of my LHS. They had lots of generous supporters, but everyone has a financial bottom line somewhere and when the hobby is a commodity business, IMO there's just not enough value add in bricks and mortar.
scirocco is online now Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:58 AM
Find More Posts by popeye96
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2011
65 Posts
I actually disagree with what has been said here. I would actually prefer to buy HK products directly from a local, even if it is slightly more expensive than through the warehouse. When buying direct, there is postage to take into account , plus I always tend to buy a few extra bits and pieces that I don't really need, to make up postage weight. Usually I only need a single motor or receiver etc and would love the idea of just being able to pick up only what I need. It does, or course, depend on what lines you actually stock and have on hand.
popeye96 is offline Find More Posts by popeye96
Old Feb 17, 2015, 05:03 AM
Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,879 Posts
I cant see how you could get any real margin on their stuff knowing how much they pay for many things...They are working on hi volume low margins already, so the 10% mentioned sounds believable.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Feb 17, 2015, 04:27 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2015
17 Posts
we have been thinking of stocking things like batteries, scale war birds, the EFX racer and a few other bits. however we would be happy to order things in for people. at this stage the idea would be for Brisbane based customers who can pick up. to cut out the freight cost. we are looking at doing this from home so we don't have a store front.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:18 PM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Joined Feb 2012
1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye96 View Post
I actually disagree with what has been said here. I would actually prefer to buy HK products directly from a local, even if it is slightly more expensive than through the warehouse. When buying direct, there is postage to take into account , plus I always tend to buy a few extra bits and pieces that I don't really need, to make up postage weight. Usually I only need a single motor or receiver etc and would love the idea of just being able to pick up only what I need. It does, or course, depend on what lines you actually stock and have on hand.
The problem is that it's not 'slightly'more expensive, more ridiculously so. For instance in the Adelaide store (that is no more, go figure) a Turnigy 2S hard case car lipo would sell for $60-70 that is available for $34.50 online. Likewise the Orange RX 6ch rx that you can buy for $14 online costs you $37 instore. I don't know what deal rc_addict is getting, but like I said the Adelaide store got 10% off website pricing. Then they have to add 10% gst, dock fees, freight costs, over heads etc etc. Their landed cost price was 50% higher than website rrp before they even looked at adding a profit margin to it.

FYI I knew the guys there quite well, these figures are what they told me and not me talking out my ass making stuff up.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:19 PM
Loose Sox Special Spec
Joined Feb 2012
1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_addict1 View Post
we have been thinking of stocking things like batteries, scale war birds, the EFX racer and a few other bits. however we would be happy to order things in for people. at this stage the idea would be for Brisbane based customers who can pick up. to cut out the freight cost. we are looking at doing this from home so we don't have a store front.
No store front will help you greatly, cut as many over heads as possible out of the equation and might just be a feasible operation.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 06:49 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2015
17 Posts
Like I said earlier where not in to to make a lot of money we just want to help local people out as much as we can with the falling au dollar it's getting more expensive to buy models in Australia. If we can help save people money it's a win
Old May 22, 2015, 08:33 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2015
17 Posts
ok guys after doing my research I have HK stock and worked out prices.(list to follow) these are for pick up from Brisbane to save on freight if you willing to pay freight that's fine we can ship it.

Durafly EFX Racer High Performance Sports Model $183.00

Durafl SkyMule Twin FPV Sports Model EPO 1500mm $231.00

Durafl D.H.100 Vampire Mk6 EDF Jet w/retracts 1100mm $152.00

Durafly™ JU-87G Stuka w/flaps & lights 1100mm $169.00

Avios Hawker Sea Fury warbird 1200mm $277.00

Avios Riff Raff 99 Sea Fury Racer 1200mm $296.00

HobbyKing Bix3 Trainer/FPV EPO 1550mm $122.00

HobbyKing Walrus Glider w/Flaps EPO 1400mm $86.00

Trainstar Tough Electric Trainer 1.4m $122.00

T-50 Golden Eagle EDF Jet Trainer EPO 820mm $195.00

H-King FW190 w/Lights Flaps Retracts Gear-Doors 1200mm $163.00

MX2 Blue 3D 1400mm EPO $195.00

AXN Floater-Jet Glider EPO 1127mm $86.00

Payment methods: cash, pay pal and credit card.

We are open to ideas or suggestion of items you want to fly.

don't for get to like us on facebook. Propeller Heads RC
We stock planes for beginners too
Old May 23, 2015, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by v2rocketeer
Australia, NSW, Ingleburn
Joined Mar 2013
363 Posts
good luck,, I'd prolly buy from you if I was in Brisbane
v2rocketeer is offline Find More Posts by v2rocketeer
Old May 23, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by RoGuE_StreaK
Caution: Noob in training
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
906 Posts
How about stocking common sized batteries? Say some 2S, 3S in maybe 1300 and 2200 (30+ C), and a couple of 4S to suit what you stock?
RoGuE_StreaK is offline Find More Posts by RoGuE_StreaK
Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by Nicoduf
Australia, WA, Albany
Joined Oct 2014
292 Posts
I think this is a great idea to help locals, and I want to encourage you for doing something for the community!
My guess is that people would mostly go for little things they need quickly, such as that missing adapter cable, or a propeller they broke.

I'm guessing if someone was to buy a whole new bird, they would tend to order a few accessories with it, and it makes the postage worthwhile - so they would buy from the warehouse.
Also think about storage for you... how many 1200mm planes can you store in your house?

That said, the "missing little cable" or the propeller, that everybody needs urgently, comes in many different types and sizes. So that would mean many different items, which is harder to keep organised and up-to-date.

Just thoughts
Nicoduf is online now Find More Posts by Nicoduf