HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Kiesling, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:55 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Tom, Why? Because they are/were big events, and I thought they would have made the callendar and since the contests themselves were announced it seemed to meet that requirement too. I didn't even consider that they wouldn't be qualifiers. All the big events should automatically be considered qualifiers unless it does not have a sanction, then, it will be announced as a NON-qualifier. Upon that announcement we can all hound the organizers to get the Sanction :-)

And I'm out.

Mike
Unfortunately the calendar for this cycle does not exist for a variety of reasons. So there is no calendar at the moment for people to look to. Therefore, back in this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1255 in April I had to ask people to announce their contests and let Ryan know they wanted them to be qualifiers 30 days before the event.

Tom
Kiesling is online now Find More Posts by Kiesling
Last edited by Kiesling; Aug 17, 2011 at 02:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:34 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post
Unfortunately the calendar for this cycle does not exist for a variety of reasons.
If a person wants to look at the upcoming contests you can just go to
http://f3k.us/page3.html
That is the calander for the Google account usaf3k@gmail.com. This is the calander of AMA sanctioned contests that have asked to be part of the TS qual program.

The web page says it is the 2010 calander, but you can see it has 2011 dates and upcoming contests listed.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,081 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that Ryan. I just looked at the 2010 at the top and moved on. Hopefully Seid will be able to get back to you soon so the rest of the web site can be updated

Tom
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:14 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Hey Mike, Mike, nice to meet ya.

Thanks Ryan.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
TS qualifying

Sorry way too long and repeated below
Newbie DLGer is offline Find More Posts by Newbie DLGer
Last edited by Newbie DLGer; Aug 17, 2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Too long
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:37 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,626 Posts
Frank affordability is the issue for all pilots. This being said many that qualify like last year will not attend because of having sufficient funding to go. It is a year long flying in Az Ca i would imagine Florida too possibly some other states. Would be nice to see the try outs in Colorado this time around and they are trying to put in a bid for it.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:48 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie DLGer View Post
Maybe the committee should poll those people who qualified last year for their suggestions and improvements, but this banter and ideas from people who didn't make the TS and didn't see what it was like at the TS just muddles the process.
Actually, I belive per the AMA FAI teams process the TS committee should be accepting input from any team program participant. So that's another reason to call 1800IFLYAMA and get that done.

Ryan
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:55 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
No, he replied to "like.2.fly". you are Fly F3B. Like to Fly is also a Mike. This Mike (not a Seid) is helping me with the spreadsheets.

Mike, meet Mike. Mike and Mike, meet Mike.

Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B View Post
Hey Mike, Mike, nice to meet ya.

Thanks Ryan.

Mike
Howdy Mike Smith! We actually met and talked briefly earlier this year at the "count-for nothing" IHLGF in Poway (all the Mike's in question were there, see photo). I sure enjoyed watching you fly. What an awesome talent! I'm fairly confident you would have made the team if you could have competed at the last TS.

Mike Maurer
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:51 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,322 Posts
Entertaining reading guys!, Thank you. TK has spoken, no changes during this cycle but I will be very surprised if the next cycle is not different... There is no doubt that several of our top US pilots were missing from the first TS event and likely from the US Team. I am sure there are good personal reasons for that but hopefully they will have the opportunity to make the TS this cycle. I heard the same thing that George heard, that the guys in Colorado will be putting in a bid for the TS next year. I fully support their efforts and will help in any way I can to see it happen.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:12 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,901 Posts
Yo Newbie... nice post (who are you?) , but we have a good process, just wanna make it better, and your numbers are off a bit. By my research, we had 52 qualified, but only 30 entrants at the 2010 Team Selects. Am I wrong? wouldn't be the first, or tenth time. Until we have an actual problem of getting too many qualified pilots at a TS, we should include as many contests as we can using the current system of qualifying as has been developed and see where that gets us. Nobody wants to flood the TS with a bunch of pilots just for the sake of having big numbers. We have some cool, large contests to go to throughout the year, and people can plan way ahead to make it to the ones they like. Those big ones should, in my opinion, be automatically set as TS Qualifiers. - (More incentive for some to go in case another reason were needed other than flying in Bruce's back yard) A TS with 40 contestants would be about perfect, and in 3 full days of flying, the 3 at the top deserve to be the team.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie DLGer View Post
I really disaggree with some of the previous comments and logic

I think the idea that to qualify you only need one point is way too easy- Basically one weekend of good flying and u qualify and if u go to one of the smaller contests with 10-15 pilots, the top two can qualify-ie LISF
I know u want to open it up to as many in the community as possible, and get the best representation at the TS , but u also want to make it so that the TS will select the best pilots to represent the USA

Let's look at last years TS- DESS did a great job there were 50 pilots and 18+ rounds in the prelim

There were only 4? clubs that even put in a bid to host the TS, and I am sure the west coast flyers didn't cry about having to go to the east to fly

if as some of u suggest we open it up to get 70, 80 or 90 like The Bruce, then how many rounds would you get in 2 1/2 days- even with 15 pilots/round and up to 6 flight groups, it would take 1 1/2 hours per round- The Bruce only plans on 10 rounds and then a flyoff- what was the biggest complaint of the pilots at the Worlds- not enough rounds in the preliminaries

The East coast will always have fewer contests to qualify- that's mother nature- nothing is stopping the east coast pilots from traveling to a qualifying event-

Except for York, none of the ESL contests got more than 11 experts in any day of flying, is that representative of a TS qualifying event?

Maybe the committee should poll those people who qualified last year for their suggestions and improvements, but this banter and ideas from people who didn't make the TS and didn't see what it was like at the TS just muddles the process.

For example, let's look at the Worlds- after the first 5 or 6 rounds, the top 10 flyers all had 5000 points- the next ten were separated by around 40 points- it took 4 or 5 more rounds to create more separation, but that was probably more due to weather conditions, than just extra rounds. Most of the pilots really wanted 12-18 rounds in the preliminaries and it sounded as if they were willing to fly an extra day

If we look at some of the local contests with very few flyers, and a large mixture of sportsman and experts, by the time , most of their preliminary rounds were completed those at the bottom had no chance of making the flyoffs- so, in a task like poker, they had nothing to lose in calling a 9:58- generally an unreasonable call for the top pilots who r looking to remain at the top-so in effect, opening up the TS to more pilots could potentially create a situation where pilots who may not have had a chance of making the team,fly for pride while hurting a top pilot

I am not saying that this would occur, but we need a process that pre-selects those people who r the best and then have them compete against themselves- not against the whole dlg community

just my 2 cents
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:14 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,626 Posts
CAN WE TRY OUR ABCs NEXT
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:15 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,626 Posts
I like the F3J just go try out.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,081 Posts
Yes, we had exactly 30 entrants in the first team selection. I'm hoping the number will increase to 40 to 50 this cycle. As Mike said, the process works well as it is. With the exception of extending the qualifying period for next cycle, I'll be surprised if there is going to be a need to change much else. Until we actually start getting more pilots that we can handle at the team selection, I think the basic qualification system should be left alone.

As an aside, I personally really liked the 30 person team selection. We got tons of rounds in (24 if I remember correctly - even with rain delays). Unfortunately some at the AMA was not impressed with that number. By requiring everyone that wants to qualify to enter the program and hopefully increasing attendance at the team selection by 10 to 20, we will demonstrate that F3K in the US is a popular event and deserves continued funding.

Tom
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:38 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
I like the F3J just go try out.
Do you like that there are only two or three F3J events in the entire country per year?

While some of the qualifying stuff may not seem logical or necessary, it may be helpful to understand that the qualifying events are not all about getting qualified. For F3K, the qualification events were intended not only to get people qualified, but also force host clubs to start using the actual F3K rules to better prepare the US to compete in international events. They also were intended to motivate clubs to host more local contests and maintain or increase the interest in F3K. I think the program has done these things and it has been good for F3K.

I think F3B would really benefit from bringing back qualification for the team selection. F3J would probably also benefit from having a qualification program. Having incentive to hold more F3B and F3J events I think would be a good thing, but that is a topic for a different thread.

Tom
Old Aug 17, 2011, 05:55 PM
Turn down for what?
Joined Feb 2004
14,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiesling View Post

As an aside, I personally really liked the 30 person team selection. We got tons of rounds in (24 if I remember correctly - even with rain delays). Unfortunately some at the AMA was not impressed with that number.
Really? I thought 30 is pretty good. F3j only has 35-45 or so, right? Do other FAI events have really big programs? I know some of the free flight class's also have a qualification process

It should be noted the qualification process is really good for the community. It generated a bunch of interest, got clubs sanctioning contests, got people traveling, etc.

Ryan