HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:58 AM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Go to this link and you find it at the bottom.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/pc/eosfw552.html
MrMel is offline Find More Posts by MrMel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:59 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAp View Post
Does anyone know the formula and variables that are used to come up with a TCS value? It may be complex but I am curious to know how it can estimate the capacity in my packs shortly after plugging them in. It can't be as simple as a straight voltage reading. Does it somehow take into consideration the reduction in capacity as a pack ages? Depending on how it is calculated this could be helpful in determining the true amps a pack can draw and still be above %20 remaining. I know that as a pack ages its capacity drops and the amount you can draw and not go below %20 reduces. I just can't be sure where this is point currently in my packs.
No, it cannot measure the capacity, but usually when your capacity go down, the resting voltage does too, so in effect the TCS get lower as well.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:47 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,956 Posts
I just picked up a 1420i as an extra charger to supplement my TP 820CD. I'm a little concerned because I hooked up 2x 4S 5000 in series and one of the 4 packs came off overcharged by about .1V. Not sure how this happened since all 4 batts were at same voltage when they went on and are same battery. This was without balancing of course, charging at 1C.

I series-charge big packs on the TP and this never happens - they always come off excatly the same. Is there something about the Hyperion I need to know, or is this a know issue requiring firmware fix? Input voltage is 24V, if that matters.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:04 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Why did not you not have the balancer connected?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:10 AM
Norway
Joined Sep 2008
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
I just picked up a 1420i as an extra charger to supplement my TP 820CD. I'm a little concerned because I hooked up 2x 4S 5000 in series and one of the 4 packs came off overcharged by about .1V. Not sure how this happened since all 4 batts were at same voltage when they went on and are same battery. This was without balancing of course, charging at 1C.

I series-charge big packs on the TP and this never happens - they always come off excatly the same. Is there something about the Hyperion I need to know, or is this a know issue requiring firmware fix? Input voltage is 24V, if that matters.
No balancer on these big batteries?, then you can risk a fire or worse. Internal resistans will change, causing different cell voltage. So if one cell goes low another cell can go High in voltage and not detected by the charrger as long as The pack voltage is correct .....
Doffen24 is offline Find More Posts by Doffen24
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:46 AM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
Why did not you not have the balancer connected?
Charging in series guys. How can I hook up balance leads on 2 separate packs? I have been doing it this way for 2 years now, BTW. No fires, no issues, and cells in my packs are all at same voltage. I never charge at >1C, and I balance each pack every 10 cycles. Works like a charm on the Thunder Power 820. The charge on the 1420i is the first time I have seen an overcharged pack.

In any case, can we get back to my original question: is there anything I need to review or correct firm-ware wise, or is this just a known issue on these chargers? I went through this thread a bit and noticed a lot of folks not happy with the latest firmware upgrade...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:49 PM
RC flying addiction
Joined Dec 2012
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
Charging in series guys. How can I hook up balance leads on 2 separate packs? I have been doing it this way for 2 years now, BTW. No fires, no issues, and cells in my packs are all at same voltage. I never charge at >1C, and I balance each pack every 10 cycles. Works like a charm on the Thunder Power 820. The charge on the 1420i is the first time I have seen an overcharged pack.

In any case, can we get back to my original question: is there anything I need to review or correct firm-ware wise, or is this just a known issue on these chargers? I went through this thread a bit and noticed a lot of folks not happy with the latest firmware upgrade...
You may find this video helpful:
Hyperion EOS1420i NET3 connecting sequence for dual pack charging (4 min 8 sec)

I also found this article/review interesting & helpful.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...rience/tp820cd
RC_Adik is offline Find More Posts by RC_Adik
Last edited by RC_Adik; Jan 29, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:28 PM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
2,003 Posts
TTRotary, if you don't use the balance taps, how is the charger to know what each cell voltage is? You can have a weak cell, causing 3 cells to overcharge, as the charger only aims for 16.8 volts for the pack irregardless of each cell.

I highly doubt that Hyperion would even want to provide support for charger operation in such a way that it is not designed. I also personally attended a funeral of one of our club members a few years ago, he was charging in the garage for Saturday morning flying, fell asleep, and the charger over charged the battery in the method you describe. He was the same as you, "I charge this way all the time, and I don't have any problems." A number of us had explained why it could go bad sometime when he least expects. We sure do miss a good friend and excellent pilot.
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Last edited by Jim Varley; Jan 29, 2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:32 PM
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Sep 2004
108 Posts
Charging in series on any charger without using balance taps is just asking for trouble.
jdanks is offline Find More Posts by jdanks
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:04 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Varley View Post
TTRotary, if you don't use the balance taps, how is the charger to know what each cell voltage is? You can have a weak cell, causing 3 cells to overcharge, as the charger only aims for 16.8 volts for the pack irregardless of each cell.

I highly doubt that Hyperion would even want to provide support for charger operation in such a way that it is not designed. I also personally attended a funeral of one of our club members a few years ago, he was charging in the garage for Saturday morning flying, fell asleep, and the charger over charged the battery in the method you describe. He was the same as you, "I charge this way all the time, and I don't have any problems." A number of us had explained why it could go bad sometime when he least expects. We sure do miss a good friend and excellent pilot.
Well that sure got my attention. It seems several of you agree this is a very bad idea. I'll reconsider.

I also need to correct my prior post. It is not true that I ahev been series charging packs to full " for a couple years". What I have really been doing, for about a year since I got into bigger planes and got the 820CD, is series charging, say, 7S on one side while parallel charging 6S packs on the other port (none of this balanced). Since the 6S packs would always finish a lot faster (the 820 starts to pull a lot of current back over 6S), I would then separate the 7S and parallel charge the 3S packs on one side and the 4S packs kn the other. So the 7S series charge was not seeing more than .4C charge rate and I always did the full charge in parallel.

So the 8S series charge that I did on the 1420 is actually the first time I have allowed a series charge to complete.

I will say that I have never had an issue with an out-of balance or over-charged pack EVER in 3 years of parallel charging. And I do check every cell in every pack about once every 2 cycles.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:20 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Adik View Post
You may find this video helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I76y8eizm0

I also found this article/review interesting & helpful.
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...rience/tp820cd
Thx RC Adik... not quite how i was doing it
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:28 PM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
EOS firmware 5.86 is now released

It's a service firmware with two fixes
- Termination of storage charge at low charge rate (less than 1C) now works properly.
- When using EOS suite there is no overlap in commands that cause delay, if you uses temporary fix before of raising command delay you can now lower it back to 40-80 or so.

Note: IR reading is lower than 5.52 and earlier firmware, this is on purpose to be aligned a bit more with the rest of the chargers on the market.

Firmware is found on http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/pc/eosfw586.html
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:04 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel View Post
EOS firmware 5.86 is now released
Excellent. I have been waiting for this before instaling a bluetooth adapter.
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:02 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I hope this extends to more than just the storage charge at less than 1c. Do we know if this also effects the regular full charge termination if that too is less than 1c? This is important as a few of us have seen long wait times when lipos enter the final stages of charging and take forever to balance out.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:07 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Test it, i do not know