Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:50 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
3,699 Posts
Mini-Review
Cheerson cx-10

INTRODUCTION

Cheerson is a relatively new chinese RC quadcopter brand who shipped first a nice Phantom clone: the CX-20.
In May 2014, Cheerson announced three new models i) two nanoquads: the CX-10 and the CX-11 and ii) one microquad: the CX-30.
This review is dedicaced to the CX-10, a nano quadcopter (40mmx40mm) with the "phantom" after my CX-11 review (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2173041)

This CX-10 belong the fast growing list of protoX clones : WLtoys V272, V282, V292, Moontop M9911, Cheerson CX-11, UDI U389, JXD 395 and more models to come. From left to right: the UDI U839, the WLtoys V272 and the Cheerson CX-10

The target price of this model is very agressive due to this fresh nanoquads war, less than 23 USD for this RTF model.
Is this cheap model equivalent or even better than the initial ProtoX ?

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Cheerson CX-10 (with a 100mAh LiPo soldered)
+ 1 x tiny controler (using 2xAAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB charger (ending with micro JST 1.25mm connector)
+ 4 x spare props (2 CW, 2 CCW)
+ 1 x Instruction manual (english only)

OVERVIEW

The main body reprensents a 40mmx40mm square.

The total weight of the CX-10 (including the 100mAh LiPo) is 11.9g so relatively light compared to a WLtoys V272 for example.

4 screws are locking the two parts of the canopy. The bottom part is scaling

Unfortunatly, the LiPo is directly soldered on the PCB

The PCB is welcoming on the bottom side the STM32 F050K4 as main MCU (a ARM core) while the upper side the Infineon 6050C as gyros+accelerometers (3+3=6axis) chip and a BK2421 as RFChip (GFSK@2mbit/s, BW 2.5Mhz, sensibility -85dBm).

This BK2421 is the former model prior to the BK2423 (in BK2423, they add the 250kbits mode and the extra sensibility flag to -87dBm but not used in practice in any known protocol).
Compared to most of similar models, only the F050K4 ARM core (http://elcodis.com/parts/5854903/STM32F050K4.html) is replacing the classic MINI54ZAN one.
On the rear side, can be find also a micro-switch. A total of 4 LEDs can be found: 2 blue for the front arms and 2 red for rear arms.
You can find a 2.4G dipole antenna on the upper side. 1 male micro JST 1.25mm connectors can be find to welcome the USB charger cable.

Motors are 6mmx12mm jailed into plastic motorpods. Compared to available ProtoX clones, motors are solidely blocked into these pods so you can expect some extra stability during flying.

If you need to replace a motor, you will have to first unscrew the bottom part of the canopy then unsolder motor's wires. The same is you want to change a LiPo.

Props, identical to the CX-11 are 30mm long and have an internal diameter of 0.6mm all in white color.

Even if you have different led colors to distinguish front to rear, it would be a plus if the props colors were different.

Props are slightly shorter compared to V272/M9911 ones

The shipped LiPo is a 100mAh (no charge rating given) and scaling approximatively 2.8g.

If you don't want to use the original charger, you can design you own cable with this micro JST 1.25 connector.

Basically, the ground clearance is the same than the V272.

The transmitter is very tiny (the same as for the CX-11), ideal for transportation but also not really adapted for large hands ("no free lunch").

Sticks are short but ending with 2 relatively large plastic "mushrooms".
Gimbal' springs are relatively strong. With such tiny TX, you can give relatively precize controls. You can find only 2 trimming buttons (1 of them is associated with the left/right steering.
You can change speed mode by pressing the left stick. 3 modes are available i) beginner, ii) intermediate and iii) sportive. In beginner mode, the TX led becomes green
To perform flipping, you need to press prior for the right stick (you can hear a click) and then indicate how to flip with the right stick direction.
Finally, you can calibrate gyroscopes by: i)right stick in upper-left corner then left stick in lower-left corner. The 2 back-rear red LEDS will fast flashing at the end of the calibration.

You wil need to insert 2 x AAA batteries (not included).

The good news is this protocol used by the CX-10 and by the CX-11 is the same than for the "YD-717-SKy Walker" quadcopter and have been already implemented into deviationTX.
So if you already modded your favorite deviationTX compatible Devo controller with a nRF24L01+PA, thanks to the last Nightly build, you will be able to enjoy this CX-10 with a great TX.

Instruction manual is in english only

FIRST FLIGHTS

After performed the calibration procedure, I tried first with the original TX. Even if I am not a great pilot with such tiny things, I was absoluptly not lost and manage to fly this insect quiet smoothy.
The quad is very stable, fast and quiet silent almost without drifting...
The CX-10 is reponding fast to vertical throttle. It's great. Flipping are good (you are almost not loosing altitude) and the yaw rate is good too, maybe slightly faster than the V272.

Good point, the CX-10 have a LVC alarm (led are flashing fast) when your LiPo is close to 3.7V. In more sportive mode, the quad is banking great.

I am estimating the flying duration equal to 5mm (3.7V measured voltage at LVC)

Secondly, I tried with my devo 7E outdoors ..... and of course it's really better... precise flight ans so fast !!!!. Actually, flipping are working by assigning a button to the fifth channel.

CONCLUSIONS

This quad is an excellent nanoquadcopter: stable, fast, robust. light, LVC alarm,and deviationTX compatible but in another hand, you can't insert a spare LiPo if you want to increase your fun time. For 23 USD, you can't be wrong with this quad !!! I like it a lot...

UNBOXING AND QUICK TESING

Cheerson CX-10 unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy of Banggood) (10 min 32 sec)

PROS

+ Stable, fast, and robust quadcopter (thanks to the 6050C, ideal for beginners)
+ Good vertical lift
+ LVC alarm
+ Close to 1.7g lighter than a WLtoys V272 (11.9g in total)
+ DeviationTX compatible (via the "YD-717-Sky Wlkr" protocol, found in the last Nighty Build. Requier to mod your Devo controller with a nRF24L01+PA chip)
+ Very good deal for the price
+ Tiny TX, easy transportation and ideal to train everywhere

CONS

- Can't insert/use a spare LiPo
- LiPo soldered on the PCB
- 4 white props

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Banggood in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 23 USD at

http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX1...105842201212FR

EDIT added model file for Devo7E

EDIT 06/20/14 THEY ARE TWO VERSIONS OF THE CX-10. ONE WITH RED PCB AND ANTENNA "ABE" COMPATIBLE WITH SKYWLR PROTOCOL, ANOTHER ONE GREEN WITH A NEW PROTOCOL
SeByDocKy is online now Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Jul 07, 2014 at 09:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:51 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3,699 Posts
Reserved for mods and videos

CHEERSON CX-10 outdoors flight (Courtesy of Banggood) (1 min 42 sec)

With vertical antenna pointing
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2007
250 Posts
Sbd, if you have to pick one, cx-10 or m9911?
driverside is offline Find More Posts by driverside
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverside View Post
Sbd, if you have to pick one, cx-10 or m9911?
Both

No kidding .... the M911 seems a little bit slower in FFF outdoors .... but got a great yaw rate
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:39 AM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Oct 2011
220 Posts
Great review like always Seb. Ok I am getting one lol. Could you share your ini. file for the 7e?
ogrope1 is offline Find More Posts by ogrope1
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:43 AM
Joined Nov 2007
250 Posts
Geez you're not making this any easier, are you

The yaw rate seems to be fast enough. Did you mean the M9911 has even faster yaw rate?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driverside View Post
Geez you're not making this any easier, are you

The yaw rate seems to be fast enough. Did you mean the M9911 has even faster yaw rate?
Yep ...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:47 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrope1 View Post
Great review like always Seb. Ok I am getting one lol. Could you share your ini. file for the 7e?
Here is mine ... D/R on FMOD 1 , FLIPS on HOLD1 + FMOD1
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
Here is mine ... D/R on FMOD 1 , FLIPS on HOLD1 + FMOD1
what's channel is flips on
Timmyd463229 is offline Find More Posts by Timmyd463229
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyd463229 View Post
what's channel is flips on

Channel 5
Old Jun 10, 2014, 02:36 PM
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Oct 2011
220 Posts
Thanks a bunch, order placed
ogrope1 is offline Find More Posts by ogrope1
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:39 PM
Joined Sep 2013
7 Posts
Very thorough review. Thanks.
The battery is soldered as expected, considering such a compact design.

Anyway, I'm getting my own soon.
wildeny is offline Find More Posts by wildeny
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:39 PM
Joined Nov 2007
250 Posts
Would you say that because of the shell, the CX-10 is more durable and less prone to damage ? If yes, maybe you should put that in the pros list.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:00 PM
Canada, ON, Cochrane District
Joined Oct 2011
742 Posts
nice review, my manual is all Chinese, not one word English.

Could you possibly post better images of the manual?

Tiny quad...

my thumb squishes it like a bug...
cr8tive_leo is offline Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Nov 2007
250 Posts
LOL yea. It's getting really close to actual bug size.

In a few years they'll make it much smaller. Give it autonomous power source, swarm intelligence, detection avoidance, face recognizition, etc.. can't run from the wife anymore