Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 03, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
72 Posts
Discussion
Soaring at the beach in Florida?

I am heading to the Sarasota area right now. I brought a cheap electric glider with me. I am a rookie sailplane user at best but fly large gas planes mostly.
Do you guys have any tips. My thought is that the winds will come in from the gulf and heat as they hit land. Will I hit some crazy thermals? The area we stay is kind of flat so I dong think I an get much slope action. Any ideas???
mchadwick63 is offline Find More Posts by mchadwick63
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2014, 12:53 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
I've sloped the berm that goes around Lake Ochecobie, probably spelled it wrong Any way I once sloped the berm at Port Myaka where the St. Lucie hook's up with the lake. I had a friend once almost disappear in a cloud so yes there are thermal's in Florida. There are alot of club's all over the state too. Have a good time.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2014, 08:34 AM
Joined Sep 2011
72 Posts
I will give it a try. Just have to keep the sand out of my tx.

Thanks!
Old Jun 04, 2014, 11:26 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
I've seen a few video's here on the group's of pilot's slope soaring beach's with very light glider's and DLG. I once did the berm with a vintage Wrist-O-Crat for 20 minutes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2014, 09:27 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jul 2013
101 Posts
I sat at a restaurant last week gazing at the pelicans sloping the condos for an hour. From the water at about 30' they would enter the updraft close to the building. They would rise quickly going back and forth in the lift. In no time they would top out and head out to sea. They'd circle and dive for food and come back again at 30'.

Now, a motor would help getting started and as long as the wind blew..........

Of course if you can get to the roof...........
Grandpa Florida is offline Find More Posts by Grandpa Florida
Old Jun 07, 2014, 01:50 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,682 Posts
Grandpa Florida I have plan's on coming back to the PSL area only for my son and grand son's. I've heard stories of sloper's from the condo's and sloping the same. I went to the beach with my son and grandson's and my son made mention of the fact that I was spending my time there watching the bird's. I'm going to miss flying off "A" mountain alot, I hope there are still a few place's to fly in south Florida. I know I'll be able to DLG though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2014, 08:53 AM
Joined Sep 2011
72 Posts
I am giving it a try tomorrow morning. Today is already crazy at the beach. I will report back!!
Old Jun 07, 2014, 09:05 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,026 Posts
Let me know where you fly in Sarasota. I visit there from time to time.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jun 08, 2014, 08:05 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,530 Posts
Follow the buzzards.....
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Jun 08, 2014, 02:30 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
466 Posts
At the beach, follow the pelicans. Don't let them lure you downwind though. They have much better ability to speed up and get back upwind.
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
Old Jun 08, 2014, 04:51 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
839 Posts
All sorts of dunes on the east coast of FL, mostly pretty small but then again I havent traveled the entire coast. Given that there are dunes probably 15'-20' msl that will give you adequate lift all day long with a floater at 10 mph, for aerobatics you will need about 15-20mph
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Jun 08, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
72 Posts
I got in a couple 30 minute flights. About 5 minutes of motor time each flight consumed in total to get altitude. I was at the beach in Siesta Key. Up around entry 7, 5 and 4 it is wide and not much traffic. Flat as a pancake so no slope style. Not much in thermal that I could find. I am a rookie with gliders and this thing is a bit of a Tank. Lots of fun though. I will be there all week!
Old Jun 09, 2014, 07:51 AM
Joined Nov 2010
229 Posts
Both Mr. LVsoaring and AMBeck are spot on…watch the birds for “tells…especially if you are new to a coastal area and want to fly TD. Good general rule is look for “lift” over sand and try to stay away from flying over the cooler “sinking” water. Where I am fortunate enough to live, a barrier island off the coast of SC, I can stay airborne for hours by just joining the pelicans and riding the thermals down the front beach.
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Jun 11, 2014, 03:37 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
I've sloped the berm that goes around Lake Ochecobie, probably spelled it wrong Any way I once sloped the berm at Port Myaka where the St. Lucie hook's up with the lake. I had a friend once almost disappear in a cloud so yes there are thermal's in Florida. There are alot of club's all over the state too. Have a good time.
Many years ago we would use the berm at South Bay right around the park area where there is a ramp leading up to the top and sometimes a bit farther south when the winds were blowing out of the south at 15-20mph. Provided ok lift given the fairly gentle slope of the berm. I flew my Pierce Ridge Rat usually and my friend flew I think his Chiperossa(sp), this was way back in the late 80's.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:37 PM
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Jul 2013
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
Grandpa Florida I have plan's on coming back to the PSL area only for my son and grand son's. I've heard stories of sloper's from the condo's and sloping the same. I went to the beach with my son and grandson's and my son made mention of the fact that I was spending my time there watching the bird's. I'm going to miss flying off "A" mountain alot, I hope there are still a few place's to fly in south Florida. I know I'll be able to DLG though.
I've not sloped the dunes around here near PSL but I plan to. My flying skills are not that good but I'm workin on that. As I get better i'll start looking for spots to slope. Right now I'm not too good in confined spaces. I do flatland flying with my electrified Olympic 650. We have an empty housing development that we use and the thermals are pretty good. PM me it you want to get together (after 6 July).
Grandpa Florida is offline Find More Posts by Grandpa Florida