HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2014, 11:31 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2013
613 Posts
Discussion
Repairing foam planes?

I had a crash that effectively made the cockpit opening shorter (by bowing out the sides slightly). So now the hatch covering doesn't fit on so well (Bixler 1.1).

What are the most effective ways to repair or reshape foam after a crash (if any)?

Right now I'm just holding the hatch on using Velcro going around the diameter of the fuselage like a seat belt.

I briefly tried heating the foam with a heat gun to see if I could soften it up enough to pull it out straight again but I didn't have much luck (didn't try it for long as I didn't want to make things worse).

Any ideas?
Seattlehiker is online now Find More Posts by Seattlehiker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2014, 11:59 AM
My everything hurts
United States, AZ, Bisbee
Joined Sep 2013
145 Posts
Hot water. Try soaking a washcloth in very hot water....use gloves....then press the hot cloth to the area you want to re-shape. It will make the foam pliable and will set back up after the heat is removed.
waywardson is offline Find More Posts by waywardson
Old Feb 06, 2014, 12:14 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,410 Posts
waywardson's method works and works well, the water needs to be near boiling.

This will cause some alligator type issues with the foam.

Repair an EPO RC plane with water (1 min 44 sec)

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...po-foam-repair
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Feb 06, 2014, 04:04 PM
United States, NC, Davidson
Joined Feb 2012
154 Posts
+1 on the hot water.

Plus if you need to glue - be sure it says "Foam Safe". If it does not, it will eat the foam.
CHSNative is offline Find More Posts by CHSNative
Old Feb 06, 2014, 07:50 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSNative View Post
+1 on the hot water.

Plus if you need to glue - be sure it says "Foam Safe". If it does not, it will eat the foam.
The bixler is EPO foam, which does not require foam safe glue. Normal CA is fine, actually its better, and will form a stronger bond on EPO than foam safe.

Few planes sold today actually need foam safe CA. The only ones I can think of would be any of the UM's, since you cant make those super thin wings from EPO... the GWS slowstick is another.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 07, 2014, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
Google Beacon Foam-Tac. It is probably the best glue for any type of foam on the market today. You'll be amazed at how little of it you use to make a really strong bond.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 07, 2014, 11:09 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
511 Posts
WHITE gorilla glue also works well. Be aware that it really expands when curing so you might want to tape over any seams with painters tape.
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
Old Feb 07, 2014, 11:34 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad View Post
WHITE gorilla glue also works well. Be aware that it really expands when curing so you might want to tape over any seams with painters tape.
I'd add that the white gg sands and is easier to shape than the regular gorilla glue.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Feb 08, 2014, 11:29 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,940 Posts
I'd add that Gorilla Glue is really lousy in Florida sun, rotting in about a month to become a friable useless imposter of a repair job. It will turn to powder upon first stress or contact with anything more robust than a feather. Turns yellow too.

It's the most disappointment I've ever had with a repair technique.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins