Old Oct 07, 2013, 10:49 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,531 Posts
Idea
A340-600

Seriously considering this as a possible extra build for SEFF 2014. Much will depend on whether or not I can swing it financially.

The 340-600 looks like a pretty nice subject. Gear should be fairly simple. A lot less complicated than the 747's was, at any rate.

I figure 1:24 scale running on a pair of 10s 90mm fan units ought to make for a nice build.

That would make it about 10.25' long, 8' 8" wide and 2' 4" tall. I'm still looking at finding out whether or not this is really feasible, but if it is, I will probably go for it.

I'm kind of digging the Virgin Atlantic livery on this one...

Any thoughts?
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Last edited by KFC; Oct 07, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2013, 11:02 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2010
169 Posts
Well based on your 747 I say this is a must. Its a great looking bird and i agree the livery is excelent. So yeah, let's get to planning lol.
rlebaron is offline Find More Posts by rlebaron
Old Oct 07, 2013, 11:23 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,531 Posts
Scale looks ok, it would end up being a 500% enlargement of the plans I have. I had an offer made to sponsor my next build when I was at SEFF, so I'm waiting to hear if that offer is still on the table. We'll see how things go from there.
Old Oct 07, 2013, 11:41 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,440 Posts
With the short amount of time it took you to build your 747 and B-52 I would say go for it, the worst project in the world is the one you DON"T build!

I Really am gonna make it a priority to make it to SEFF this time round and it would be cool to see a brand-spank'in new A340!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Oct 08, 2013, 10:21 AM
I make stuff
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
532 Posts
Way cool! Do it!!!
cwrr5 is offline Find More Posts by cwrr5
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Great Planes Proud Bird EF-1
Old Oct 08, 2013, 10:47 AM
3 holes are better than twoo!
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2008
267 Posts
Olle maked one.....years ago...wonder what happened with this guy (Airbuzz)?
Building the depron A340, slideshow compiled from building pics (6 min 39 sec)
727Dream is offline Find More Posts by 727Dream
Old Oct 08, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2013
215 Posts
I really liked your 747 even though it was complicated, it was very scale and you are a very good builder
austinlam123321 is offline Find More Posts by austinlam123321
Old Oct 09, 2013, 11:05 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinlam123321 View Post
I really liked your 747 even though it was complicated, it was very scale and you are a very good builder
I'll be the first to admit that the 747 was a bit over-engineered, but it was the first time I had tried building a plane that way, so I'm not really disappointed. It flies and looks good, and it is a lot of fun.

On this one, I'm going to try and make the build more simple. I've got all the exterior parts imported and fixed up, and I'm working on the structural elements now. This one will probably be very different in its setup than the 747.
Old Oct 09, 2013, 01:54 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2013
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
I'll be the first to admit that the 747 was a bit over-engineered, but it was the first time I had tried building a plane that way, so I'm not really disappointed. It flies and looks good, and it is a lot of fun.

On this one, I'm going to try and make the build more simple. I've got all the exterior parts imported and fixed up, and I'm working on the structural elements now. This one will probably be very different in its setup than the 747.
You call it over engineered i call it scale
austinlam123321 is offline Find More Posts by austinlam123321
Old Oct 09, 2013, 05:48 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,523 Posts
A318 or A310 at same scale would be awesome and still really large twin. I had done some CAD on one last year but it went with the hard drive failure in August. I did save the An124 on my removable hard drive, wish I had save all of my projects from DevFuseFoam on it. Now I have to start over on them.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:27 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinlam123321 View Post
You call it over engineered i call it scale
I was referring more to the internal structural components. We ended up designing the airplane for loads that it will never encounter and I think that is a large part of why it ended up overweight. I'd like to try and limit the amgount of structural reinforcement on this one to keep the overall weight down and simplify construction. One of the big changes will be the way the wings mate up to the fuselage. I have a couple of ideas that I'm still fleshing out a bit on that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
A318 or A310 at same scale would be awesome and still really large twin. I had done some CAD on one last year but it went with the hard drive failure in August. I did save the An124 on my removable hard drive, wish I had save all of my projects from DevFuseFoam on it. Now I have to start over on them.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I try to keep backups of the really important files when I can, but I'm sure I'd still lose a bunch if I had a complete failure. Probably ought to order an extra drive and image the desktop. Don't want to lose all my p0rn, lol.

Started building the 3d model that I will be using to generate the structural parts that will end up holding this sucker together. The beauty of CAD is that it allows me to generate templates for parts very quickly, and also, to verify the fit of the parts that I already have.

I think I may have some assistance arranged on the financial end, so it looks like this one will be a go very shortly...
Old Oct 10, 2013, 01:44 AM
3 holes are better than twoo!
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2008
267 Posts
Hi
did you received my email?
727Dream is offline Find More Posts by 727Dream
Old Oct 10, 2013, 02:19 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 727Dream View Post
Hi
did you received my email?
yep!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 727Dream View Post
Olle maked one.....years ago...wonder what happened with this guy (Airbuzz)?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrEM2EuxRD8#t=42
He left the hobby and now flies full scale, I regularly speak with Olle on Skype.
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined Aug 2013
13 Posts
Is this going to happen?
I really hope so after the 747!
rcflyte is offline Find More Posts by rcflyte