HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:09 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
Discussion
Need help

So, was all happy with the Extreme Flight Edge quality until I tried to get the left wing on. Something must be wrong with the blind nut as every time I try and thread the wing bolt it just strips the threads down. Trimmed the wing bolt a bit and tried again but it won't go in. It's like the blind nut is a size too small. What do I do now? Can't fly if I can't get the wing attached securely. Hate to call them but I may have to ask for a new wing or at least take it over there and see if they can thread a bolt to it. Seems defective.

Any suggestions?
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Last edited by rpstar; Oct 25, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
2,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
So, was all happy with the Extreme Flight Edge quality until I tried to get the left wing on. Something must be wrong with the blind nut as every time I try and thread the wing bolt it just strips the threads down. Trimmed the wing bolt a bit and tried again but it won't go in. It's like the blind nut is a size too small. What do I do now? Can't fly if I can't get the wing attached securely. Hate to call them but I may have to ask for a new wing or at least take it over there and see if they can thread a bolt to it. Seems defective.

Any suggestions?
Definitely call... or email (info@extremeflightrc.com) and just explain the problem.
There may be a burr in the blind nut, I've gotten one or two new in a pack like that before.
Easy to imagine a factory dealing with many thousands of them in a year will get a bad one now and then.
(I've also messed one up by accidentally crossthreading it, but it does generally mess up the bolt threads instead... unless you use a bolt harder than the nut like I did that time)

Generally, I use to use a tap to clear the threads, on any nut that doesn't feel 'right' on my first attempt... but then again, I've always had that sort of tool on hand.

Call 'em! I'm sure they'll take care of you.
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
agree, blind nuts are bad about having problems. If you have a tap you might want to run it through the threads, if not SLOWLY run a metal screw through the threads, if it starts fighting you dont force it. but it will tell you something is for sure a problem on the nut side.

Will the wing bolt screw into the wing when its not in the plane? i have seen the wing holes not line up exact and cause this problem as well.

which edge is this? i might have some spare blind nuts around here somewhere if you cant make it work.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:11 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,197 Posts
Russ this is a simple fix - blind nut probably has some glue that got in the threads. With the wing off - thread a regular bolt through the blind nut and it should clean the glue from the thread. If that doesn't work we can meet up and I'll fix it for ya.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:16 AM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
Russ this is a simple fix - blind nut probably has some glue that got in the threads. With the wing off - thread a regular bolt through the blind nut and it should clean the glue from the thread. If that doesn't work we can meet up and I'll fix it for ya.

MLT
Tried it out of the plane quite a bit last night. I'll try the metal screw idea today. Might be that the nut is twisted also (need to look) and making it impossible to thread. Either way I think I'll be needing a new wing bolt as the nylon one now has too many ruined threads.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:25 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,197 Posts
Quote:
Tried it out of the plane quite a bit last night. I'll try the metal screw idea today. Might be that the nut is twisted also (need to look) and making it impossible to thread. Either way I think I'll be needing a new wing bolt as the nylon one now has too many ruined threads.
I've probably got extra wing bolts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,740 Posts
Yeah....my bet is a bad thread in the blind nut. Do as MLT suggest.....if the metal bolt starts to meet resistance back it out an then start it again like you would a tap....go slow. A tap would be better.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
Braselton Ga
Joined Apr 2009
504 Posts
Had that problem with my FunCub. Went to Ace and got a tap for it.
LannyT2 is offline Find More Posts by LannyT2
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,146 Posts
Quote:
Hate to call them but I may have to ask for a new wing ,
Any suggestions?
Seriously?
Colin had this same problem last week. He ended up shortening the screw down to about 1/2" and it was enough to suffice.

I would call EF and ask them what the thread is.... I tried 3 mm and 4mm and 8-32 on his plane and it wasnt any of those.
I almost think it's 3.5MM.

I would buy the proper Tap, and make them send you 2 new bolts.
I would tap both wings for good measure.

McMaster has all sizes..... this one is under $7
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SliderBat - a GeoBat derivative
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:52 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,745 Posts
Ok, you guys were right. You made me remember I had a set of Yak54e wings lying around one of which still had a metal wingbolt installed. Same size as for the 48" Edge. Carefully used it to repair the threads of the nut and now even the nylon bolt goes in, although I really should ask for a new one of those as I ended up trimming it a bit more than I'd like due to the damaged threads.

Really should get a set of thread taps though as this is not the first time they would have been handy.

All I have now is receiver install and hookup as the servo's are already in and adjusted. Oh yes.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,197 Posts
Quote:
Ok, you guys were right. You made me remember I had a set of Yak54e wings lying around one of which still had a metal wingbolt installed. Same size as for the 48" Edge. Carefully used it to repair the threads of the nut and now even the nylon bolt goes in, although I really should ask for a new one of those as I ended up trimming it a bit more than I'd like due to the damaged threads.

Really should get a set of thread taps though as this is not the first time they would have been handy.

All I have now is receiver install and hookup as the servo's are already in and adjusted. Oh yes.
I usually trim mine down anyway so I don't have to twist it so much to install it. HOwever I check to see if I have any extras

MLT