Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
17 Posts
Help!
Bonsai Setup

Motor: Floater-Jet Replacement Motor (AXN-2208-2150)
ESC- HobbyKing Red Brick 30A ESC
Prop-5x5
sevo-HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo

what do you think?
what battery will be good? i thought about this-Rhino 750mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly Pack
koriza is offline Find More Posts by koriza
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:26 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
you will probably need a little bigger battery to get it to balance with that motor. try a 1000 or 1300mah 3s. That will be a fast plane. the other gear is fine.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Feb 2012
17 Posts
it wont be too heavy? can u suggest lighter motor?
koriza is offline Find More Posts by koriza
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:30 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,473 Posts
koriza check the feedback on the hobby king page and see what other people are using
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:32 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
A little late but here's what I am using and it works GREAT. 12A plush, 5 x 43 and a ORange 410rx, 460 3s nanotech, ADH300S Brushless Outrunner 2400kv, a heaviier battery like a 600 3s or even an 800 3s it can handle or you can add a penny or 3 to the front.
It goes straight up at half throttle.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._BEC_BESC.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11882
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10034
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Perfect setup for the HK Bonsai

Hi i don't want to start a new thread but would like to share it for whom ever come across this.
This is fore sure the best light weight setup for this plane. it will do unlimited verticals with a smile, crazy fast, or because of its light weight setup it will glide surprisingly well or for those lazy fly days you will be able to take it to a crawl.

The setup:
Motor - Turnigy 204-14T
Esc -HK-10A
Battery - Turnigy Nano 3cell 460mah
Prop - 6*4 APC
Servos - 5g
Receiver - Orange 6ch

This little motor is a real performer but don't try anything above a *4 pitch or it will be to much and get very hot. a 2 cell also works very well for those lazy days. on the above mentioned setup I get a flight time of 10 to 20 min depending on how crazy you fly.

I also did a few mods; I epoxied carbon fiber strips on to the trailing edge of the ailerons, moved the esc to the top so that the receiver will be flush on the bottom and that it will be protected when landing + max airflow over it and I moved the battery bay so that it will be o top for landing purposes also .
Mreunit is offline Find More Posts by Mreunit
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:20 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreunit View Post
Hi i don't want to start a new thread but would like to share it for whom ever come across this.
This is fore sure the best light weight setup for this plane..
thanks for the info

i suggest you look back at the video of me flying the 3s set-up with the 2211-1700 on a 5043 - unlimited vertical

here ya go

i'm sure your set-up works too, but the 4.3gm servos are plenty powerful, and the radio gear fits easily in the provided hole in the bottom, negating the need for extra work

it glides well enough without interrupting the flow over the top surface which your suggestion causes as a consequence

not sure of the virtue of carbon on the control surfaces, but if it works for you, great !

if i was to use this design again i would be tempted to upgrade to the teksumo, as much for visibility as being able to carry a bigger payload without effort
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:43 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
I am dying for the teksumo, after flying the bonsai.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:00 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,303 Posts
thermalling with the bonsai

went out this morning in calm but hot conditions

dunno why, but the current set up with a "new" 5043 prop and a chunky o-ring holding it seems to have boosted the thrust to silly powerful - spirals vertically like a rocket

anyways, got to altitude where it was starting to get hard to see, and then noticed a pelican directly above me, soaring

cut the motor, and kept on going up - fast !

so much so that i eventually pulled full up and aileron, and it spiralled pretty much without dropping for a while

i have the timer set to only count when i am powered above 10% throttle, and using full speed to altitude and then cutting to zero, for a total motor use of 6 minutes i stayed up probably half an hour soaring - no slopes, purely flatland

in a stiff breeze from the south i have previously maintained height in wave lift from the ridge line upwind, but thermalling with the bonsai is a first for me

what a great little plane
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
Last edited by scruffy1; Mar 16, 2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:47 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Nov 2006
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I am dying for the teksumo, after flying the bonsai.
Aren't the Mini-Popwing, and Bonsai the same plane? Isn't the Pop Wing and Teksumo the same plane?
FD Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FD Pilot
Last edited by FD Pilot; Mar 16, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 08:20 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD Pilot View Post
Aren't the Mini-Popwing, and Bonsai the same plane? Isn't the Pop Wing and Teksumo the same plane?
people have reported that the minipopwing and Bonsai are the same.. and they sure do look identical so it would seem reasonable that the Pop wing and Teksumo are also.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
scruffy1 as you suggested, spoil your self with the teksumo, Amazing!!! but the bonsai is still my nr1 plane to go and fly no mess no fuss.
Mreunit is offline Find More Posts by Mreunit
Old Apr 01, 2013, 07:35 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,912 Posts
I also altered my Bonsai to place all the electrics on top. I glued a thin plastic sheet over both the lipo and rx/esc compartments, covering the edges with extreme tape. I prepped the EPP with some contact glue. Servos are 5 g HXT500 which I used on my scratch built Mini Wing which is a similar size. For the motor I've used is the AX-1806N 2500kv on an APC 4.75 x 4.75 & 2S 800 mAh pack. Performance is ok but I think I need a touch of nose weight as she will spirral in if I let the speed drop.
The roll rate is really lethargic. I'm thinking that stiff control surfaces might be the issue as I'm already on the outermost hole at the servo and lowest hole on the control horn. I'll work them a bit but failing this I'll cut away and re-do with UHU Por.
Bonsai EPP wing (2 min 30 sec)

I think it would benefit from a motor upgrade. I've a BW 3000 kv unit, 25 amp esc and a bunch of 800-1000 3S lipo's. This combo really woke up my Mini Wing
Mini Wing on 3000kv,4.75 x 4.75,Gens Ace 1000 3 cell (4 min 7 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Apr 04, 2013, 04:50 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2008
30 Posts
I have one of these coming soon along with an 1806 2500kv motor. I have two battery options available but I am having a hard time deciding which one to go with. I have some 2s 460's and some 3s 800's. I think the 3s is the way to go because the 2s 460 would give super short flight times of around 4-5 minutes according to my calculations. I am also unsure which props to use for 2s and 3s, i have some 5x3 3 blade props but i dont think they will work for this. Every thing i have flown up until now has come RTF or ARF so I never had to deal with this type of stuff so any feedback would help.
Sr.Sancho is offline Find More Posts by Sr.Sancho
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:10 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,912 Posts
On my AX-1806N 2500kv set up I use an APCe 4.75 x 4.75 & 2S 800 mAh pack. I think you will need the 800 pack to balance the model. If I upgrade to the BW 3000 I'll run a 3S 800-1000 mAh pack
I personally don't favour 3 bladed props as I always seem to break a blade on landing. They are not as efficient as a 2 bladed prop either.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain