Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:52 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Help!
Stab Tilt

Would stab tilt have the same effect with a double rudder at the ends of a stabilizer design as it would with a single in the middle rudder design, especially if the rudders extend below the stab as well as above?

Kev
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,466 Posts
Works the same Kev.

I have double rudder/fin models with tilt on them to make the models turn.
I do tend to set the fins up vertical though, as otherwise they look a bit strange cantered over.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:52 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Thanks, gossie. I'm in the process of building a Half a Wake, just kitted by Easy Built Models. Question: The 1 oz. weight rule for FAC - is that including the rubber motor?

Kev
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:15 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,209 Posts
Kev, most of my rubber models don't use stab tilt for their turn. Instead I use rudder tab or warping to get my glide turn and then play with the side thrust to keep the same size turn with power and on through to the transition to pure gliding. In fact I don't recall that I've ever used stab tilt on any of my rubber models. If I'm mistaken and did then it was only one or two out of many dozens over the years. Just no need.

Now hand launch and catapult gliders and glow powered models are a whole other story. There the climb to glide speed variation is so high that the rudder deflection needed for the proper size glide turn would be WAYYYYYYY too much for the fast power portion of the flight. For those I definetly use stab tilt.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:46 AM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
The plan calls for a trim tab for both rudders.

Kev
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:46 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,566 Posts
Each to their own - I use stab tilt, as required, on all rubber models.

Also fly a lot with twin fins - If any rudder tab is required then only necessary on one fin
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney