HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:03 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Discussion
Plane stuck in tree

The dreaded day finally happened. The plane eating tree got me. I've searched the archives and didn't really find this problem answered. In my case the tree was at least 60' tall. And of course it was in the very top wedged nice and tight. I had no idea how to get it out. I ended up using a hammer and about a 150' of nylon line. It's incredibility difficult to throw a hammer through thick branches! After about an hour of awkward throws I lucked out and caught a branch or two. Is there a tried and true method for plane retrieval?

Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
suseuser is offline Find More Posts by suseuser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:06 PM
Wasaga Beach, Ontario
Joined Aug 2007
1,198 Posts
Cut down the tree?
kalnaren is offline Find More Posts by kalnaren
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:08 PM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Well, I did pull down a lot of branches. Most of them on my head.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:08 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suseuser View Post
Is there a tried and true method for plane retrieval?

Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Yes.
I have used my cell phone and credit card.
Both tools are necessary, unless you have $60 in lieu of a credit card.....In which case a cell phone would be adequate.

I have the local tree climber on speed dial.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:19 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Get someone with a tall cherry picker before you wind up hitting yourself with that hammer. Unfortunately, there is no other easy method.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:31 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,228 Posts
If you cant climb it and retrieve the plane yourself then you cant wait for the wind to bring it down or like mention above call the tree guy.

I once heard someone call the fire department but he got slap with a hugh fine BUT he did get is plane a name and photo in the local news paper.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:38 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,332 Posts
Our club has a 50' linemen's telescoping pole. It works pretty well. I've seen people use a bow and arrow with a string tied to the arrow. He shot though the plane and then pulled on the string. It worked....
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Jul 08, 2010, 09:39 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
I have used the lineman's telescoping pole method myself, and it works quite well, as a rule.

On the other hand, I would think that in idaho, you could find a tree trimmer that would get the plane for a case of beer, or perhaps, $50 dollars.

Yep, I keep a tree climber on my speed dial. No need for me to spend hours to get a plane out of a tree when a tree climber can have if for me in 20 minutes.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Jul 08, 2010, 11:10 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,883 Posts
A fishing rod and a lucky cast has worked for me.

Tree and plane in avatar
Ron H is offline Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Jul 09, 2010, 12:22 AM
San Diego
Joined May 2010
133 Posts
A friend that is good at fly casting does help.
QuadManiac is offline Find More Posts by QuadManiac
Old Jul 09, 2010, 01:04 AM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2009
185 Posts
I've gotten two planes stuck in trees. Both came out with the trusty "throw your shoe at it!" method. The first was a bit hairy since the ESC was burning and I was afraid it might light the tree on fire!
Hawkwings is offline Find More Posts by Hawkwings
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:25 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
The method to use depends a lot on how high the plane is in the tree. At lower heights, I've successfully used the stick tied to the end of a string. Hook the branch and then shake it to dislodge the plane. Higher up, the bow and arrow method did not work well for me -- string was too heavy, aim was bad.

There was thread that suggested stacking 10 ft lengths of PVC pipe with couplers between. The key to this method was to attach guide lines (rope) along the length of the pipe to prevent it from bending too much and to guide it's tip to the plane. Others suggested leaning lengths of pipe on lower branches to support and guide the pipe.

Alan

pipe size recommendation: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2988
Another retrieval discussion after post #8: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980116
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Last edited by Al Offt; Jul 09, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 09:01 AM
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho
Joined Apr 2010
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comm69 View Post
I have used the lineman's telescoping pole method myself, and it works quite well, as a rule.

On the other hand, I would think that in idaho, you could find a tree trimmer that would get the plane for a case of beer, or perhaps, $50 dollars.

Yep, I keep a tree climber on my speed dial. No need for me to spend hours to get a plane out of a tree when a tree climber can have if for me in 20 minutes.
I had considered the Fire Department, a tree trimmer or even the Power Company. But, I figured the service would cost more than the value of the plane. I can imagine calling a tree trimmer and asking him if he would get my plane down for a case of beer. But, you are right. Here in Idaho it is very likely they would do it. Even for generic beer.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 10:58 AM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
I flew a plane into a tree once. It didn't stay in the tree though. It came down in about 1,000 pieces.

Good luck with the recovery. Be careful with the hammer. It sounds like a potential disaster. Better to lose a plane than to lose consciousness and short term memory.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old Jul 09, 2010, 11:14 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,134 Posts
Ive seen results with a good casting rod with a good size sinker at the end... If you use a strong enough line, you may be able to break surrounding branches.
Last time this happend to me, I contructed a long PVC pipe and simply knocked it out.. If one needed to lift the aircraft, I suppose a NOOSE could be tied at the end.
You will be surprised how inexpensive the 8-10' pipe segments are at the home stores.. the ones i used had built in couplers and required no glue... MAKE SURE THE DIAMETER OF THE PIPES ARE THICK ENOUGH TO PREVENT BENDING AT LENTH AND HAVE HELP BECAUSE THE PIPE GETS SQUIRLEY WHEN LIFTED. YOU CAN RUN THE PIPE UP THE SIDE OF THE TREE AND USE THE BRACHES AS A GUIDE.
GOOD LUCK....
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MikeRx; Jul 09, 2010 at 11:19 AM.