Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 07, 2009, 09:37 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Discussion
Electric to Glow conversion

With all these new planes being released as electric 'only', I imagine there's been some that have been converted to glow... for a number of reasons, mainly that glow is way cooler!

Anyways, I'd be interested in hearing what plane you have converted.

I am going to try to put a Saito 40 on a Mini FuntanaX, but not sure how successful it will be. I reckon I'll keep the plastic-geared micro e-flight servos and see how long they last with the 4-stroke vibrations going through those huge ailerons....
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2009, 11:38 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,167 Posts
Theres an EFlite Extra260/480 that someone put a 4-stroke .30 on... this is/was on YouTube... I don't have the link, but you can probably search it if your familiar with YouTube... it seemed to perform very decently in the video... the hurdle though is... how long will it perform like that??

I don't know if I'd go the .40 though... that is an awful big weight to put on that smallish plane... I'm not saying it wont' work... but .... its just an awful big weight... the MiniFuntana just isn't that big.

I've got a few smallish electrics.. one being the EFlite MiniEdge540.. I couldn't imagine a .40 4-stroke in it... on the other hand, I could easily imagine a .20-.25 2-stroke... I just don't think the airframe would last at all... something might shake apart immediately with that big of an engine.. but I'm sure your looking into that.... please do post back your findings though for sure, I'm curious... and whatever you do .. be safe.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:43 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Airplanes designed for elecric will have less structure than a glow design. The electric does not need to deal with the cyclic stresses of the glow engine.

So it becomes problematic giving general advice on how to modify an e-power design to accept a glow engine.

Without someonoe having done that particular conversion and had success... you won't get a good answer.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Aug 08, 2009, 01:46 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I've got as far as installing a 1/4" plank of plywood onto the firewall. I am hoping that can absorb some of the abuse.

The 40 does not weigh much more than the 30 and the 30 is discontinued....
Old Aug 08, 2009, 04:23 AM
love croppys
Coolgardie western australia
Joined Mar 2006
183 Posts
I have converted a black horse piper cub electric to glow
and it has done very well no airframe damage I am running a os fs30 in it ,all I did was put a piece of 1/8 ply in as a new firewall also just converted a boomerang fighter which was electric to ic and I have put a enya 11cx diesel in that did the same thing to the firewall on that I think if you look at the firewall and go from there
the rest of the fuse should be ok, the vibration should be taken up by the firewall , and I don't think there would be
much rear of the firewall this is what I have found with my
conversions
musterpilot is offline Find More Posts by musterpilot
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:08 AM
Turku, Finland
Joined Apr 2007
13 Posts
I have not yet converted anything to glow, but i have one homeless .25 Irvine engine. I've been looking Hyperion ARFs or something in that size for next project.

Any suggestions ?
mkk8 is offline Find More Posts by mkk8
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:09 PM
Turku, Finland
Joined Apr 2007
13 Posts
Brilliant threads, thanks!
I tried to search threads like those, but too much beer makes me "blind"
mkk8 is offline Find More Posts by mkk8
Old Aug 08, 2009, 02:59 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Broke the new engine in for a bit then flew a few times. 5-cell battery in the rear of the fuselage and small fuel tank trying to keep CoG reasonable.

Completely unlimited vertical.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 04:11 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
Looks good, usually an added firewall and some extra triangle and go over all the wood up front with CA will be enough strength to use a glow engine. I even did this on my .40 Lanier explorer and ran a 21cc GAS/GLOW weedeater engine, CG was right on with no mods and lots o power, my friend now has it with a 26cc Sthil on it.
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V
Old Aug 08, 2009, 05:10 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Jul 2007
56 Posts
I put an OS55 AX on a Hyperion Chipmunk. All I did was apply thinned epoxy to all the wood I could reach with a paint brush and add 3/16" ply to the firewall but primarily as a spacer. I have approx 30 flights and it flies great. AUW is 6lbs w/o fuel and the performance is right on for a sport flyer. Vertical is not unlimited but it does huge loops. I have my eye on the Hyperion P51 next- that bird comes with both elec and glow mounts.
michael7810 is offline Find More Posts by michael7810
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:57 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
The biggest advantage electric has over glow is dependability.
Two deadsticks (fuel tank issues) in a row has taken a toll on appearances.
But I still prefer glow, over electric. Yawn.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 08:07 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
these electric planes are Built Very Light! Fuel tank leak, not remedied soon enough=fuel soaked wood. 4-stroke vibrations. Couple dead stick landings a bit harder than desired. etc. etc.