HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2007, 06:08 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,475 Posts
Discussion
Glass Tail question From SAL in Yahoo!

I was reviewing stuff in the SAL files thing on yahoo and found the light weight glass tail file! The shapes appear to be curved so I reason that there is considerable sanding involved to shape them? What's the easiest way to attack these? Thanks in advance...Kevin. ( I like the shapes but not the sanding, ...consistency in building might be an issue?)
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2007, 06:35 PM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Kevin,

when you say 'consistency in building' would this be for production? it makes a difference

If you are talking about the SG tails they do have airfoils, which can be wire cut in foam or sanded by hand

the easiest way would be to wire cut the tails like the SG, requiring a minimum amount of sanding

The other option would be by hand, foam is harder to sand than contest grade balsa, but it really doesn't take that long if you are sanding just one or two

There are a couple of PDFs out there showing how to shape the tails and you can also find the airfoils for download on the CRRC website

Jose
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:42 AM
United States, VA, Warrenton
Joined Apr 2001
1,148 Posts
Yes, there should be a file on Yahoo or the CRRC site that describes how Mark does accurate sanding. If I remember right, it involves using a stock of wood blocks to get the wood you are sanding to the right height and moving it backwards and forwards to cut various bevels. You then use a light to cast a shadow on the piece and smooth everything out. I've never done it, but it seems very time consuming.

~Dan
Ninjak2k is offline Find More Posts by Ninjak2k
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:20 AM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSharbonda
I was reviewing stuff in the SAL files thing on yahoo and found the light weight glass tail file! The shapes appear to be curved so I reason that there is considerable sanding involved to shape them? What's the easiest way to attack these? Thanks in advance...Kevin. ( I like the shapes but not the sanding, ...consistency in building might be an issue?)
Kevin,

The easiast way is to order Mark Drela's glasstail spyderfoamcores directly from Aradhana Singh in New-Mexico. Little or no sanding required - just cover with 27g Glass. Consistency guaranteed.

Another way to build these tailfeathers is with lightweight Quartergrain Balsa. To start, you can sand simple symetrical profiles. This works fine. Just make sure to have your max thickness at ~20 to 25% of the chord. Cover with Oralight.

With some practise you will eventually be able to sand cambered profiles pretty accurately. It's great fun to master the technique.

Enjoy it !

Yves
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt