HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2006, 08:39 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Discussion
UCSD's AUVSI entry

Hey guys, the AUVSI challenge is on, we have shipped our plane. Reliable autonomous navigation is no problem. More posts and updates to come. I hope the other competitors are upping the bar, because we definitely are.

Competition website-
http://www.bowheadsupport.com/paxweb...rs/default.htm

More posts, pictures, and updates to follow.

David Klein
UCSD AUVSI Project Manager

I'll post pictures of our plane and our technical paper on Wednesday evening.
Hint- 12' wingspan, all composite construction, 86cc gasoline powered, advanced autopilot installed and working reliably.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2006, 03:07 AM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2005
54 Posts
I look forward to you updating this with more information!
hugo_vincent is offline Find More Posts by hugo_vincent
Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:47 PM
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2005
54 Posts
Any updates yet David?
hugo_vincent is offline Find More Posts by hugo_vincent
Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:08 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,995 Posts
Not sound like an internet malcontent but I brought this up last year to the people running the AUVSI competition why would they have a sponsor that forbids any autonomous aided flight?
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:29 PM
Professional Lurker
United States, MD, La Plata
Joined Nov 2004
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickegan
Not sound like an internet malcontent but I brought this up last year to the people running the AUVSI competition why would they have a sponsor that forbids any autonomous aided flight?
I'm not sure what you mean? Who is the sponsor that "fordids any autonomous aided flight"?
Magician is offline Find More Posts by Magician
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:37 PM
Who needs a pilot??
Alexandria, VA
Joined Jul 2002
1,167 Posts
Hm, which sponsor?

If you're referring to the AMA link on the main site... Most of the teams bring stock or modified RC aircraft, so AMA rules are used since they are geared toward this size aircraft (excepting autopilot control). This provides a well-defined standard for keeping the planes flying safely. Where AMA has closed the door on autopilots, this competition requires all LOS operation and a manual override (independent of the autopilot). Also, if the RC system loses link, failsafe is set to a hard-over crash maneuver. The autopilot is always the least trusted item (as opposed to Predator which goes into a holding orbit when comm's are lost, for example).

Maybe that helps explain the AMA logo...

Dan
danstrider is online now Find More Posts by danstrider
Old Jul 01, 2006, 02:53 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Well, we placed fifth. We were the highest placing first year team. I was a little disapointed in our performance. We had a wireless video failure on the flightline, and thus brought back no video, and no target recognition. We really didn't get to show all of our true capabilities. But there is always next year. We did a lot of development and our students are really eager to get back at it. Next year will be great.
Old Jul 01, 2006, 02:54 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Team Picture
Old Jul 05, 2006, 08:45 AM
Professional Lurker
United States, MD, La Plata
Joined Nov 2004
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djklein21
Well, we placed fifth. We were the highest placing first year team. I was a little disapointed in our performance. We had a wireless video failure on the flightline, and thus brought back no video, and no target recognition. We really didn't get to show all of our true capabilities. But there is always next year. We did a lot of development and our students are really eager to get back at it. Next year will be great.
Come on David, you forgot to mention the aerobatics UCSD's bird did some wild manuevers when the autopilot was first engaged which was fun for the spectators.

A great showing by all the teams who were there with a plane, that in itself is a great accomplishment!
Magician is offline Find More Posts by Magician
Old Jul 05, 2006, 11:08 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,995 Posts
Dan,

Yes, I do see the Aircraft Requirements-Safety, section I the rules section about complying with the AMA Safety Code.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan