SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 06, 2009, 04:29 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
heres pics of my motor install. still need to do a little cleaning up. also, showing my "hogging" mods. alot of beef(aka weight) you really dont need in a electric model this size/weight/speed. this setup on a 14x7E makes 750W on 4s 5000mah. trying to keep this thing light, so around 6.25lbs. we'll see how that goes. heres the look im going for with mine....going to sand all the paint/primer off and probably use chrome monocote, and buff it down some with scotch brite to kill the cheasy look
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2009, 11:06 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,926 Posts
It looks like you've lightened that frame up nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing your chrome job. Have you considered using a chrome paint instead of ultracote? Those complex surfaces on the fuselage might not be the easiest things to do with ultracote, and you'll lose the panel detail.

Either way, having seen your previous job on the Spitfire, I'm sure it'll look sweet.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2009, 12:52 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
yeah, it may be tricky, but it would be pretty hard to get paint to look like that.... then that means that i have to glass the wings/tails....dont want to do that either. trying to keep it light. i know it would be a paint on the fuse, but just may have to try it.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:06 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
well, i got the VQ P-51 struts for it(basically robart struts) and they are pretty nice, some burs and a couple tapped holes that arnt that great, but for 1/2 the price, they were worth it! im using the robart .25 size mech retracts, just drilled them out a tad to use the slightly larger gear wire. they seem pretty strong, so im not too worried...i once scratch built a jet that weighed 5.25 lbs and i used GP .10 retracts....so im not too worried about these! i installed the gear, and they look pretty good. im using robart 2.75" tires. i think 3" would fit, but ill probably stick with the 2.75's. i also cut the flaps out to scale size, ill post pics later to show how i did this. mad some progress, but not as much as hoped. was hoping my package from tower would show up, but alas, it did not.tomarrow i guess!
Old Dec 13, 2009, 03:23 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
Corsair Nut - did you keep the position of the stock gear wells or did you change them?
topher39 is offline Find More Posts by topher39
Old Dec 13, 2009, 05:23 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
at first i was, and make scale inner gear doors.....but i bagged that. keeping stock wells, just enlarged them for the more scale like sized tires. ill try to post pics later.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:34 AM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
would love to see some photos of your gear mounted in the wing. I too have the VQ struts.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:26 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
well, i got my stuff from tower today. i got the dave brown 3.5" p-51 spinner, and its a smidge big, but looks really good, so im gunna keep it! i need to polish it but it looks pretty good the way it is. ill get some pics goin..
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
before you guys get crazy on me....that prop is off another model, and im not done with the wheel wells....so take it easy on me.. so heres the gear and spinner. you can also see how nice and big the flaps will be. nice and scale. i need to widen out the ailerons.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:40 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
what's your feeling on the sturdiness of gear blocks? ok as is stock?

Topher
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:31 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
yeah, they seem decent enough for a 6 lbs model
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:18 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,515 Posts
Cool Brent! Are you planning on closing up the open bay structure and glassing the wing? How do the boys feel about you building on their train table?

Chris
JetMang is online now Find More Posts by JetMang
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:08 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
yeah, im closing them up, but not glassing, just chrome monocote, scuffed down some. trying to keep it light, and a "quick" build for me.... i wasnt building on the table...just taking pics on it since it takes up the whole dang living room with the tree in there! ...time for a house.......
Old Jan 04, 2010, 02:07 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,829 Posts
ok well, heres a update, its been a while. its all covered now, changed my idea on the scheme, but still using the monocote chrome and trim sheet. used the trim sheet on the fuse and it worked pretty good! flaps and ailerons turned out nice, added counter balances, got 3" tires to fit, using the dave brown 3.5" P-51 spinner from tower, its a smidge too big, but most of the time you cant tell. runs nice and smooth too, tried the stock spinner, even tried to balance it, but that was a no go. so the dave brown it is. with the 700kv motor on a 14x8.5E im getting about 850W or so on 4s. predicted weight is just a touch over 6 lbs. that stock covering and paint weighs a ton. i sanded off alot of the paint on this puppy, and could have taken more off, but got real tired of that! so far, im pretty happy with the outcome. i hope this is a good flier. with those huge flaps, it should slow to a crawl on landing! still working on the finish, need to finish the checkers on the nose, and do all the letters and numbers. then i need to glue the hinges in and setup all the servos and its read to fly. hopefully in the next couple weeks. i hand cut the stars and bars from trim sheet and the rudder is missle red monocote.
Last edited by corsair nut; Jan 04, 2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2010, 12:31 PM
Cottonwood Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
600 Posts
May I recommend another spinner, the old CB/Tatone from Mecoa, they carry them in a P-51, 3.5", aluminum back plate, cut your own openings. $21

Great spinners for the price, runs true and available in several colors.

http://www.mecoa.com/cb/spinners.htm

https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=82