SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2014, 06:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
279 Posts
Discussion
9.5 inch ws, dr1 fokker triplane : Peterakes plans

Hay all heres what I've been up to, this is my little fokker triplane, made from the plans peterrake has uploaded on this forum before, it's printed durobatics foam .25 plantraco butterfly rx a actuator coil from bid product I think a little bigger then the plantraco 200 mg one but I had it lying around so used some spare wires from a motor and used them to make soldered connection to the coil, have been testing it with a 40mah full river lipo with a deltang mag 1 board used for connection to the rx, not my tidiest build but I'm happy, have been doing relatively good circuits of my livingroom nice and slow when perfect I'll say more
rogenstein1983 is offline Find More Posts by rogenstein1983
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by rogenstein1983; Sep 28, 2014 at 07:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
279 Posts
Would love to get a allied triplane plane to do battle with this one, is there's plans like this out there using same components(butterfly rx, GBO5) for a sopwith triplane and clearly I'm asking peterrake that question mainly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aero FlyBaby bipe
Old Sep 29, 2014, 03:58 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,790 Posts
Looks very nice mate. What printer are you using? I noticed a slight misalignment of the ribs on your one and had to check the file to make sure it wasn't me.
I have one in this scheme made from 1 mm Depron but think it's probably too heavy. That one has Nano Stik Rx and motor and a Micro-act fitted.

No Sopwith triplane at the moment, I gave up drawing these when Durobatics became like hen's teeth. There is a SPAD XIII, N28 and N11 though.
I do have 'arty' style prints of the Tripehound, Camel. SPAD VII and SE5a that I might be tempted to convert if the demand is there. The only issue with the Sopwith might be lack of chord.

This sort of thing, so the potential is there. This one being reverse engineered from the model drawings.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 29, 2014, 06:41 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
What? No Armstrong/Whitworth Quadroplane?

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
279 Posts
Hay thanks for the input Pete, which bit did you mean is mis aligned, I found the measurements for the landing gear where a bit of on the plan, or I mis interpreted them haha, should the wings sit at a slightly more forward angel, I think I mean slarnt but doesn't look like the word right now, any input would be great because I already have the one you just uploaded ready and printed out I'm on a profile bender also got the morane soliner printed out again, I seem to learn best by doing the same plane a couple of times, maybe because I have only been doing hobbie a couple of years but hay that's the way I learn
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2014, 07:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
279 Posts
And after all that waffle, it's a canon pixma mp250 got it on ebay for 40 second hand I forgot this in my first post , I just ordered new inks for it as the ones I have where already in it and are a tad faint but fine for my first run at this lot, durobatics is actually currently available from plantraco hence my collection of hens teeth but I'm well aware when it's gone its gone although I asked them the other day and thay have literally 1000s of sheets, thay may not after this post dame my sharing nature
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2014, 05:27 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,790 Posts
No mate, I just meant rib line to scallop in some places. Then having posted the query, realised it might actually be a cutting out, rather than printing thing.

I think the word you were looking for is stagger.

I do, now you mention it, recall seeing Durobatics on their site. I assumed it would all have gone by now. The trouble is, of course, that by the time you've paid postage, duty and the post office charge for collecting the duty it starts to get to a silly cost per sheet.
That's partly why I'm looking into just using thin foam for the tail surfaces on my latest designs, it isn't that difficult to hot wire small pieces of roughly .5 mm Depron or RTF packaging foam and they're either cheap, or free. (I do a very good line in meanness)
In the experiments I've tried, weighting down the sheet (a few magazines or a book) while you cut the foam seems to almost eliminate curling.

Pete
Old Sep 30, 2014, 03:18 PM
Joined Feb 2012
279 Posts
Stagger of course thank you, ahhhh now that's a great idear I really need to learn how to cut down foam ect, I also like to do as much as possible for cheap so that would really help, your right by the time wholes things paid for durobatics works out at least a 5 a sheet, but for the moment I don't have another option, I did ask plantraco how much thay had and rather flatly that answered 9000 sheets so probley around for a while longer at the least
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2014, 05:09 PM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,455 Posts
Really? I've held off buying Durabatics since I didn't want to get used to it and then have it disappear.
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Oct 04, 2014, 06:11 AM
Joined Feb 2012
279 Posts
Yep really, I wouldn't tell lies, I'll probley regret this if it runs out as I'll be the chap unable to get it but I'd love to see more people involved with durobatics
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2014, 06:21 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,455 Posts
I also see they have the coated version again
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Oct 04, 2014, 07:16 AM
Joined Feb 2012
279 Posts
Yeah that's the one I have been using I don't have alot of free time and that just makes it quicker for me it's good the batch thay have well I'm happy with it
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:25 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,790 Posts
I tried the inkjet ready stuff once, but found it wasn't that well coated. Since then I've always InkAided my own for a more even coating. Almost two sheets of the 3 I found were used last night to print off a couple of 12" models. I'll see what gear I have stashed away but it looks likely one will get Nano Stik gear while the other gets a DT Rx and Microact. Both will use Nano Stik motor/gearbox/battery.

You do realise that all this renewed foam activity is your fault, don't you? Your Morane and Triplane prompted me to dig out my own 1 mm Depron version of the Dr1 and see what could be done with it. At a little over 10 grams it was just too heavy for the unreliable power set-up it had. Using Nano Stik parts has transformed the power output and, even on wheels that don't turn, it wants to charge across the coffee table at around half throttle. It'll probably be too fast for the hall we fly in but it has inspired me to try them again.

Pete
Old Oct 05, 2014, 08:52 AM
Joined Feb 2012
279 Posts
Well if that's my fault then I'm glad, thay sell the uncoated stuff to and it's cheaper I do actually have some just haven't the knowledge of how to coat it i thought something like the American canvus spray gesso is it called but I haven't found a version I can find in the uk, I like the idear of a spray
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2014, 11:40 AM
Joined Feb 2012
279 Posts
I also found my triplane to heavy at just under 6.g it was to sluggish I am cutting out the next go at it as we type, Ivan definitely build it lighter this time round as I had used a 3rd bit of foam between each printed side to increase stiffness which worked a treat but added 00. 25 g on its own
RCG Plus Member