HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:34 AM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
552 Posts
Wonderful job Ed! Great idea making the jig out of aluminum. Finally, a reason to be happy that aluminum does not solder easily.
How will you attach the prop supports to the hull?
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:36 AM
United States, MA, Mid-Cambridge
Joined Apr 2008
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR View Post
Ed,
I had a similar challenge on Principia, a 96 ft. Motor Yacht that I modeled in 1:24 scale (4 ft. long). I molded the hull in fiberglass reinforced epoxy resin. The hull exterior was smooth, but I achieved the raised planking effect entirely with paint. I started with two widths of striping tape. One tape was the width of the hull planks and the other was very fine, the width of the seams. I laid down one course of wide tape starting at the shear. Next, I applied one course of the narrow tape right next to the wide tape. I alternated with wide tape and then narrow tape until the entire hull was covered with tape. I then removed all of the wide tape. I applied three coats of Krylon spray paint to the hull. Then I removed the narrow tape. This left raised areas resembling wide planks with recessed areas representing the seams. I finished by applying several more coats of Krylon to the entire hull. Here are some pictures. They are not the best but if you click on the photo and then click again, and then click one more time to enlarge, you will see the effect.
Interesting technique with beautiful results. Thanks for sharing it!
Glen the Rotor is online now Find More Posts by Glen the Rotor
Old Oct 29, 2014, 06:55 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
Hi Greg,

Good to hear from you. I just finished making the pads and soldering them onto the prop supports. The pads will have the corners rounded off and all four corners will be drilled for some small pins. I will attach the pads to the hull with epoxy and epoxy the pins in place. The supports need to be cleaned up and the 4 straight arms will be filed, sanded and shaped to look like the original supports.

I soldered the support pads in place on the hull. To keep from burning the hull I placed a 3 X 3 inch .005 brass shim stock between the pads and the hull. It worked pretty good there are no burn spots on the hull.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Oct 29, 2014, 08:38 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Looking great, Ed!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 29, 2014, 09:48 PM
GPR
Rochester, Michigan
Joined Jan 2009
552 Posts
Very Nice, Ed. They will be just like the original. I'm surprised to learn about your success with protecting the hull from the heat with shim stock. I'll have to keep that one in mind.
Greg
GPR is offline Find More Posts by GPR
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:26 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR View Post
Very Nice, Ed. They will be just like the original. I'm surprised to learn about your success with protecting the hull from the heat with shim stock. I'll have to keep that one in mind.
Greg

Greg,

I used a soldering iron with a very large tip. I didn't have to leave the iron on it for very long.

Ed
Old Oct 29, 2014, 11:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Which solder and what wattage?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:43 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Which solder and what wattage?

Aerominded,

I used Stay-Brite solder and Stay-clear flux. It has silver in it. I use this type of solder in case I want to chrome plate it. The soldering iron is a (Unger brand) 33 watt with a large tip 5/16" wide.

The solder is from Micro-Mark.

http://www.micromark.com/stay-brite-...each,7556.html

Ed
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:19 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Thank you!