SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, CT, Plainville
Joined Jan 2012
84 Posts
Discussion
What did i did wroong !!!!!!!!!

I been flying on this set up all sumer recently i order a turnugy nano tech 1000mah 25-50 c 4s whent out to the field and this happend dont know why Did the battery was to much for the esc ?
A1CpuntacanaDr is offline Find More Posts by A1CpuntacanaDr
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:41 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
Those are rated for 4S and that fan should have been fine on it. It looks like the capacitor on the battery connectors end might have popped or exploded.

Those usually have a pair of lead that are for an on/off switch, were those in use? Or was there any chance they got shorted out on one of the battery leads?

You had been using it for a while and the connectors were OK too?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:10 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,773 Posts
What was the previous battery you flew on ?, including the 'C' rating.

If you had previously been flying around the current limit of your system, and you then installed a battery with a much higher 'C', the volts and current can rise quite a bit.

What did your wattmeter show as the current and volts at WOT ?. (You do have a wattmeter ??).
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:51 PM
rvlevy7
United States, NJ, Clinton Township
Joined Sep 2012
210 Posts
Look alike high volt battery over esc or common short. If caps reversed caused burn out.
Check voltage battery or esc's inform, cap if reverse (backward)
and polarity connectors
rvlevy7 is offline Find More Posts by rvlevy7
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:34 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlevy7 View Post
Look alike high volt battery over esc or common short. If caps reversed caused burn out.
Check voltage battery or esc's inform, cap if reverse (backward)
and polarity connectors
Huh?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:48 AM
rvlevy7
United States, NJ, Clinton Township
Joined Sep 2012
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Huh?

mw
Sorry that language seem not clear to you
high voltage battery mean wrong volt to esc. What esc acceptable volt range (I.E. 5-12 volt).
Rare error manufactory installed capacitor backward.
If wrong polarity connectors
Connector, or circuit short that easy troubleshoot

better understand?

Bob
rvlevy7 is offline Find More Posts by rvlevy7
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:42 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
He said he had been flying the set up all summer long so I assumed that it was more a failure of the capacitor in use or maybe a short developed.

It would be interesting to hear if the problem stopped when he throttled back. That way we might be able to tell if the load on the ESC was the problem and throttling back stopped it or if there was a short that continued until if broke the connection.

I tend to think that it was not ESC overload or the failure would have been different. I'm thinking more of shorts and capacitor failure. The ESC was rated for use with 4S.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:57 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlevy7 View Post
Sorry that language seem not clear to you
high voltage battery mean wrong volt to esc. What esc acceptable volt range (I.E. 5-12 volt).
Rare error manufactory installed capacitor backward.
If wrong polarity connectors
Connector, or circuit short that easy troubleshoot

better understand?

Bob

lol
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:43 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Here is one posibility. Motors don't always fail suddenly. If operated at or past their heat dissapation limit, they overheat. This overheating may be tolerated for a while. Each flight causes some insulation breakdown in the windings until a couple windings short out....causing more current....causing more heating....until the "magic smokes escapes".

On a motor where you can see the windings, you may notice the color of the insulation on the windings getting darker and darker with age.

Installing a NEW battery would have resulted in higher voltage than the motor has seen in a while....as the original battery will have increased internal resistance with age causing the voltage to drop a bit. When you put the new battery in the plane, the increased voltage caused higher heat in the motor pushing it (with the heat damaged insulation) over the edge and POOOOF.

A watt meter MAY have prevented this by making sure your set up was operating within limits.

Then again, crap happens and maybe something else just shorted out

Sometimes we never do find the cause.

So in the end, I may not have helped a bit

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh