HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:07 PM
Retired
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2014
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
I understand that you want to tame the helicopter while you learn. Perhaps, others will have better ideas for you, but I think you should increase the blade pitch so that you hover when the throttle stick is between mid-stick and 3/4-stick. Yes, the risk of a crash may be higher, but you will also develop valuable collective management skills and muscle memory needed for you to advance in your flying. Just my opinion, of course--you should do whatever makes you the most confident in your flying.
Thanks nav, I do appreciate your input and 1/2 to 3/4 stick is exactly where I'd like this bird to hover.
farquward is offline Find More Posts by farquward
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Oct 2013
24 Posts
Happy holidays all ^^
Just to join the "pitch train" , yes it sounds dangerous, but build the 250 to +- 12 degrees. I still learn heavily relying on the simulator, yet I have my helicopter set to 12 degrees. Did a smooth little run today in the park with 2full batteries and I found that almost the 12 degrees is not enough sometimes in normal mode. Also the throttle should be at 90% minimum at full throttle. For the normal mode pitch, I start @ 43%, to have almost no load on the blades, next 47%, half stick 51% and linear from there. As for the normal mode flying: I found that it should only be used for very slow and small manoeuvres, as this "poor" bird descends easily, won't really keep momentum in normal mode. I landed hard today due to letting myself go in normal mode, so once you fly somewhat good, a good word of advice: use idle. Chances to smash the stick downwards are smaller than running out of momentum :/ ( learned it the hard way)
zotya0919 is offline Find More Posts by zotya0919
Last edited by zotya0919; Dec 15, 2014 at 08:37 PM. Reason: few words were missing....
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:29 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
OK, I don't know how experienced farquward is, so I'm going to recommend Finless Bob's videos. Finless is a great teacher, and he has a wealth of knowledge to convey, even to the experienced among us.

Generally, the Finless collection can be found here:

Heli Skills and Setup 101

And, more particularly, a lesson on curves can be found here:

Pitch and Throttle Curves 101

I hope you find this helpful.

Cheers.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:00 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Oct 2013
24 Posts
navigator2011,
Even I am going to take a look at the links you gave, thanks. I think I speak almost like him in terms of skill, as I said I still very much need the simulator. Once again I am waiting on parts to get my bird back up in the air.
BTW: landing skids; the align baseplate is a good choice for both align skids? I ordered a new baseplate along with the skids that has 2 mounting holes, I hope I didn't mess up. As for the original, mine snapped just from bouncing on the ground (30 cm lift off then landing back) so I wouldn't spend more on an hk landing skid.
zotya0919 is offline Find More Posts by zotya0919
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:13 PM
Folding Spacetime
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
Funny thing: the cloned skids is one of the few parts that I have not yet had to change out. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Align baseplate and skids once I need new ones. At any rate, a drop from 30 cm probably would mess up most brands of skids. I think you should just tweak them to work while you wait for the new parts to arrive.
navigator2011 is online now Find More Posts by navigator2011
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:47 PM
Retired
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2014
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
OK, I don't know how experienced farquward is, so I'm going to recommend Finless Bob's videos. Finless is a great teacher, and he has a wealth of knowledge to convey, even to the experienced among us.

Generally, the Finless collection can be found here:

Heli Skills and Setup 101

And, more particularly, a lesson on curves can be found here:

Pitch and Throttle Curves 101

I hope you find this helpful.

Cheers.
Thanks for the links nav.
farquward is offline Find More Posts by farquward
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
Hungary, Gyr-Moson-Sopron, Győr
Joined Oct 2014
37 Posts
Hi!
I got a question is going to a bit of off topic, but I believe I can get a satisfying answer from here.
Im looking for a 250 trex clone kit, but I heard some of them clone kits got some quality issues. So question is: wich 250 kit is better quality wise: Hk250, Copterx 250, Aeolian storm 250.
tibyy17 is offline Find More Posts by tibyy17