HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Thermalin I still have my ama so i fly seaplane meets and others but i left my club after 15 years because they have no wish to promote anything or have any kind of meets what so ever. . Now since you have asked twice and i answered once right after ,what have you done to help. I would guess you have because you are asking others. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:21 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
When I'm looking for some ideas for a foam plane I'll go there. When I want to see balsa building I would go to this forum.
That quote is EXACTLY why I think they need to keep as few similar forums as possible. I think you might be surprised at how many ideas in the foamy forum really should be in the balsa forum, and vice versa.

Shoot, one of the techniques I used on my latest project (a UMX A-10) is something I learned to do while designing and building model rockets out of paper!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:46 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Come-on, a forum specifically for traditional building methods will be a benefit to those who build in such materials. Isn't life in the U.S. about choices and when has the option of many choices ever been a detriment?

We are not idiots and don't need others attempting to make up our minds for us! We can all make decisions about what forums we want to participate at, on our own!

Lets end the strife quite thinking so much and start having some fun!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Oct 05, 2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Felt like it!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:17 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
I 100% disagree.

If I go to the Foamies (Scratchbuilt) forum there are two pages of subjects that were started or updated since I logged in yesterday. Foamies (Kits) has 1 page.

That is approximately 75 subjects.

Now if they all were combined with builders forum and balsa forum how would anybody be able to browse for what interests them? I don't doubt that there are some tips to learn in all the forums here but there is no way to find them by browsing a combined builders forum. I don't know about anybody else but there is no way I'm going to browse through that many threads looking for a tip I don't know I need yet. If I'm looking for a specific tip I will use the search engine.

So you learned a cool tip from model rockets. So based on what your saying why don't we combine that forum too?

Look, this is like politics. Neither one of us are going to change our minds so why don't we just agree to disagree? I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine. But I think I'm with the majority here.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
That quote is EXACTLY why I think they need to keep as few similar forums as possible. I think you might be surprised at how many ideas in the foamy forum really should be in the balsa forum, and vice versa.

Shoot, one of the techniques I used on my latest project (a UMX A-10) is something I learned to do while designing and building model rockets out of paper!

Andy
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,252 Posts
I wasn't trying to change your mind.

Just like politics, it's the ones in the middle who make the real decisions. The rest of us are just along for the ride.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:36 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,161 Posts
I don't see why we have to pressure an opposing opinion to think like US !

Too many people think it's an argument,when it's a discussion.If you have an idea-put it out there,and see if it flies.One man's opinion shouldn't upset anyone....but if the majority agree,either way,revisit your thoughts to see if YOU need to make an adjustment.

Many people don't build for different reasons...I think that sharing the fun,and satisfaction,would encourage some guys to try it.
One thing I like is our Wed. morning breakfast discussion/show and tell.Many ideas are traded,and the occasional" I never thought of that" proves someone learned something.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:01 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
We dont have to presure anyones opionion but we dont need to let them preasure us either. We voted yes because we think we need a place where new builders and old builders of balsa and ply can learn from each other . If the ones who voted no stop in fine and welcome but that does not mean they will change my mind by giving excuses why they THINK the new forum wont work for them. Some here like the fuzzy warm puppy aproach but iam straght shooter and tell it like it is. We are getting more yes votes than no votes and i hope we get this new forum but if we were getting more no votes i would not hang around trying to change peoples minds or make up excuses of why we need it. The ones who voted yes are builders and see arf forums /foam scratch built foam edf foam warbirds foam ,foam ,foam ,foam. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,161 Posts
Yep-I could care less if they add another foam forum to their foam forums....Which makes it difficult to understand why another wood forum,(which we would try to keep on track) could possibly affect anyone NOT interested in wood.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
It's the "man" Earl. The man is trying to keep us wild and crazy wood builders in line!

Robert
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:40 AM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
I've been gone for several weeks. I come back to see "Grumpy Old Men". How do we bring building back? Start doing it and posting what you're up to. Who cares what materials they are. Question is, "Does it fly and is it fun?" Fly the wings off the dang things and then build more wings. Where I fly there are 3 rules;

1. Safety first.
2. Play nice.
3. Have fun.

It's really a simple concept.
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Yeah, well, just you wait: when you reach a certain age, no vices remain, just polemics....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,109 Posts
Wrong order...

1 ... have fun
2... play nice
3 ... don't do nuthin' dumb
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLife View Post
I've been gone for several weeks. I come back to see "Grumpy Old Men". How do we bring building back? Start doing it and posting what you're up to. Who cares what materials they are. Question is, "Does it fly and is it fun?" Fly the wings off the dang things and then build more wings. Where I fly there are 3 rules;

1. Safety first.
2. Play nice.
3. Have fun.

It's really a simple concept.
AMEN!

Let's see some build threads from the grumps!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
Ha! it is interesting to compare the actual posts/comments between the scratchbuilt foamie bunch and this bunch. Just seems more pleasant over in the foam side. Maybe the foam sanding dust gives a bit of a buzz? This is still entertaining though.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Or it's the foamie people coming over here causing problems? Just sayin.

Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Ha! it is interesting to compare the actual posts/comments between the scratchbuilt foamie bunch and this bunch. Just seems more pleasant over in the foam side. Maybe the foam sanding dust gives a bit of a buzz? This is still entertaining though.
Closed Thread