SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
I had a similar problem with my hands free device (not a hobbyking one) and I replaced one of my alligator clips with a clothes pin. Works well. Your method is quicker though.
the hobbyking one is pretty tiny, which suits me because i have no powered planes over a metre span, and the majority are ~600mm (2 feet)

the hard part here would be finding wooden clothes pegs the right size
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:40 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
I'll ship you 3 if you'd like them for your hands free holder. Mine is pretty old, I guess I got it at Radio Shack or somewhere. It only has two hands though.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:31 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
I'll ship you 3 if you'd like them for your hands free holder. Mine is pretty old, I guess I got it at Radio Shack or somewhere. It only has two hands though.
thanks for the offer - i still don't quite get why there's 3 on my one, given i only solder one thing at a time

that said, i had cause to use it today and it worked really well
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:14 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
Maybe you could zip tie a small LED flashlight on the 3rd one for a positionable work light. Once you start finding uses for it, it'll probably become indispensable!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,135 Posts
When you get your airplane balanced to your liking,clearly mark it for easy checking at any time.
Remove the wing(s) and check the balance on the wingless fuselage.Clearly mark it also.....now,if you do any repairs or engine changes,rebalancing,will be easier without fighting the wings...adding the wings won't change anything.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
A "heads up" about the best machine light and close working light I have seen!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

I bought 5 of these a few months ago to use as machine lights as they put a bright spotlight right where you are cutting, the long flexible neck bends to wherever you need, the tiny head of the lamp doesn't obscure your vision, and they are only $10. I like them so much I have just bought 4 more for other places. The light has a bright LED and a lens to focus the beam into a tight circle about 6" in dia. For some of my large cast iron machines I modified the lamp base into a magnetized base with a cheap but strong magnet from Harbor Freight.

I also use this light on my workbench when I am working on small parts as the overhead fluorescent light is not quite strong enough. The intense beam does the job.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post

That's pretty cool, literally with the LEDs. Much less than the 500W halogen I drag around the shop. I worry about drawing too much current in that old building too, so I don't have to turn some things off when I use a heat gun and a space heater at the same time. I'm scared to death it's going to burst into flames some night while I'm working on a plane.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
Hi Planeman,

I came here searching for better light for my workbench. Getting older the low light isn't working for me. I have a ikea halogen desk lamp now but it isn't working that great and hard to position.

My work bench is about 5ft do you think 3 of these would light it up pretty good? The small footprint and flexible look pretty nice. Also I assume not as hot as what I've been using.

Thank you,

Robert

Quote:

I bought 5 of these a few months ago to use as machine lights as they put a bright spotlight right where you are cutting, the long flexible neck bends to wherever you need, the tiny head of the lamp doesn't obscure your vision, and they are only $10. I like them so much I have just bought 4 more for other places. The light has a bright LED and a lens to focus the beam into a tight circle about 6" in dia. For some of my large cast iron machines I modified the lamp base into a magnetized base with a cheap but strong magnet from Harbor Freight.

I also use this light on my workbench when I am working on small parts as the overhead fluorescent light is not quite strong enough. The intense beam does the job.

Planeman
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:39 AM
Build 'em break 'em fix 'em
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
Your link doesn't work!

Quote:

Planeman
Your link isn't working... Please fix!
chinaclipper63 is offline Find More Posts by chinaclipper63
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
843 Posts
It's Ikea's page that isn't working FYI.

I bought two of them yesterday and they work great! I can bend it around and spot what I'm working on.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:56 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingconsulting View Post
Hi Planeman,

I came here searching for better light for my workbench. Getting older the low light isn't working for me. I have a ikea halogen desk lamp now but it isn't working that great and hard to position.

My work bench is about 5ft do you think 3 of these would light it up pretty good? The small footprint and flexible look pretty nice. Also I assume not as hot as what I've been using.

Thank you,

Robert
I think if they were spaced left to right evenly above your bench and right above your head pointing toward your work, they would work well. I am using one of the lights clamped to the headboard of my bed for a reading light. The light is plenty bright and at about 3 ft. from by book casts a beam about 3 ft in diameter. If you just place them on your workbench the diameter of the beam would be about 1 ft. or a little more if you raised the head to its maximum height.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:08 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,565 Posts
not so much a tip i got, but a technique i have recently begun to use

having found that it is far too easy to pull the wires off the stator in the motors i have bought, i employ the hot glue gun to stabilise the exit

be careful not to glue bits that need to move
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
249 Posts
always, but ALWAYS dry fit everything before you glue it.
especially if you are using fast curing glues
mtesa is offline Find More Posts by mtesa
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
615 Posts
Not a building tip but a flying tip from today. He has always told me this about flying inverted and the relearned it himself today. When inverted down is up and up is expensive. 50cc Sukhoi SU-26 no longer lives. I will bring it back tough.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:15 AM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
best advice

If you are not sure, ask someone that knows. The internet is your best buddy
stangerwingman is offline Find More Posts by stangerwingman