HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:46 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2002
465 Posts
Discussion
Looking for Cox spitfire parts (firewall/engine pics)

Looking for Cox spitfire parts.
I came across a box of misc airplane parts - a few engines and an extremely dirty plastic airplane that was all parts at a flea market and grabbed it for $20.
It looks like someone had flown the heck out of it (the way it should be) and was just covered head to toe in fuel and dirt and the wing center was epoxied back together.

Got it home and cleaned it for a few days and put it together and have an almost complete light green Cox spitfire. It has the bellcrank for the tail and the wheels and everything, but it is missing the firewall engine mount and I'm not sure that the silver 049 that came with it in the box is the right one for it. It's also missing the 3 bladed prop but does have the red nose cone. The box also had a good condition FOX 15 engine (which is way too big for it and also another older 049 which doesn't fit either. I was looking online for any info on the Cox spitfire and had a lot of trouble finding pictures of the front of it (engine and firewall). Do I have a chance of finding these parts on Ebay or is there another site.

For now, I would love to get pictures of these parts so I can at least learn what I would need to complete it.

Thanks for any info. I will try to upload pics in a few days as I am at the library computers right now.

Bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:34 PM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
Try over on the Cox engines forum, here's one example, there are more.

http://www.coxengineforum.com/t5287-cox-spitfire

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:42 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
OR perhaps they had flown it once or twice.. then tried Epoxy in attempt to patch it back together again. High Alpha flight (Nose up at 45 degrees and the green plastic following.. sort of) was what I remember most vividly ... as the typical flight envelope of Mine.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Sep 22, 2013, 07:13 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2003
788 Posts
you probably would be better off looking for the parts on ebay. If you do get it all together and it is in say, 7 or 8 condition, you are looking at about $150 for it.
skylane42 is offline Find More Posts by skylane42
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:50 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2002
465 Posts
Great, thanks for all the info. I will check over there and continue the Ebay searches. Hopefully I can get it all back together and try to fly it with my 11 year old son.

Bill
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:25 AM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,040 Posts
The COX Thimble Drone Spitfire, catalog #7800, used the Cox Silver Bee .049, part number 350-6. This is similar to the Golden Bee, except it has the standard Babe Bee backplate with the fuel filler and vent tubes on top of the brass-colored tank backplate on either side of the needle valve, and the fuel tank does not have the fuel filler/vent tubes in it. Physically interchangeable with the Golden Bee other than the fuel/vent tubes used in the Golden will not line up with access holes in the fuselage as they are installed in the main part of the tank. It used the 301-2 glow head which I think is the low-compression version and the 304-2 cylinder which, if I remember correctly is the single-inlet-port version. So is the Golden Bee. A Black Widow .049 would also fit but again, the fuel/vent tubes are just like the Golden Bee. It uses the Cox 5x3 3-blade prop, part number 5517 and the firewall is part number 7807.

I've used both epoxy and CA glue with light fiberglass for repairing those plastic parts. If you have access to a model train shop, they should carry Plastruct brand plastic moldings. You can choose the correct plastic tube for replacing any anchors for receiving the screws holding the fuselage halves together. Clean everything with rubbing alcohol before any/all bonding operations. Don't let it dry but wipe off residue before it dries off by itself and you'll get better results. Denatured alcohol will dull the shiny plastic surfaces and look ugly. Eventually it may destroy the plastic.

Don't have the time right now but I'll scan and post the four-page airplane manual this Saturday evening. Don't let it get too slow after the engine quits as the stall is unpredictable and the airplane will pay off without warning. Other than that, and it could use a little more power, it flies rather well for a plastic 1/2A C/L.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Sep 28, 2013, 08:30 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,040 Posts
Here ya' go...

Rats, they're upside down. Don't know why, but printing them would fix it.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:29 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2002
465 Posts
Great! Thanks BalsaBird! (I'll just flip my monitor upside down to see it.)

Bill