SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2014, 08:51 AM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
3,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
If the X1 batteries still have the red JST plug I remember from long time ago, then this would be it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131261163932...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
(store is just an example for you to have the product #)

With this you charge 3 batteries at a time as if it was 1 3S/11.1V battery. (but you can not charge only one or two (its a comparably cheap, fast and monitorable way.
There are other options, like getting a para board (however I dont know if they exist for JST plugs, or getting a para cable (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANANA-PLUG-...item589e804e97 ... which might look preferable to you - and as I see, you can charge more batteries at a time, but wont be able to really monitor the process ... however, with the right setting this can be used for 1, 2,3,4,5 OR 6 at a time, which is definitely less of a limitation)
I use a 6 JST parallel charging cable similar to the one recommended by E2 for my non OCP 1S JST connector batteries. A "smart" charger will read the the combined batteries as one larger 1S battery and one can charge from 1 to 6 batteries simultaneously, but as E2 cautioned one can not monitor the process. I charge at 1A with my set up.

DB- That's pretty weird. This is an early read for me and I have had insufficient caffeine. One thing that can really mess up signal transmission is to point the transmitter antenna directly at the X1. Ideally in a perfect world the the receiver's and the transmitter's antenna's should be parallel to each other for maximum transmission and signal absorption as I understand it. Since this is basically impossible for many reasons one must make allowances. Another challenge is that CF material used in the boom arms and frame(?) is opaque the 2.4GHz radio frequency so there could have been temporary signal blockage. A few of the O/O's here have oriented their receiver antennas away from the boom arms in different directions away from the FC. There have been a few decent posts here about signal interference affecting performance. Another possibility is that since you were operating indoors, the air currents kicked up by the X1 were sufficient enough to create enough turbulence to affect performance. Hopefully someone with more insight on this will post. Good luck.

JB
jbrumberg is offline Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jbrumberg; Dec 08, 2014 at 09:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:51 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jun 2014
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
If the X1 batteries still have the red JST plug I remember from long time ago, then this would be it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131261163932...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
(store is just an example for you to have the product #)

With this you charge 3 batteries at a time as if it was 1 3S/11.1V battery. (but you can not charge only one or two (its a comparably cheap, fast and monitorable way.
There are other options, like getting a para board (however I dont know if they exist for JST plugs, or getting a para cable (like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANANA-PLUG-...item589e804e97 ... which might look preferable to you - and as I see, you can charge more batteries at a time, but wont be able to really monitor the process ... however, with the right setting this can be used for 1, 2,3,4,5 OR 6 at a time, which is definitely less of a limitation)
Ok, I appreciate that information. You too Jay! I'll get a cable, though the one on ebay, not sure how it will go into the charge, so I'm imagining I'll need some kind of adapter to make the cable work.
stuartambient is offline Find More Posts by stuartambient
Old Dec 08, 2014, 10:19 AM
Joined Apr 2014
268 Posts
Jbrumberg, interesting possibilities. I was flying the X1 outdoors with a bit of wind. The location is a driveway with a house on one side and a retaining wall on the other side. A few days ago, I was flying in the same spot with a bit of wind as well but there was no issues then. I'm guessing it's some electrical fault.
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
Old Dec 08, 2014, 10:24 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartambient View Post
Ok, I appreciate that information. You too Jay! I'll get a cable, though the one on ebay, not sure how it will go into the charge, so I'm imagining I'll need some kind of adapter to make the cable work.
If you get the one on ebay from the link, you just plug it in the banana plugs on your charger, according to color.
Tthen you set your charger to 1S/3.7V and add up all the amperages of the batteries you want to charge (it is important that the batteries are equal, or at least as similar as possible - so NOT a 300 and a 850 and a 500 and so on. Lets say you want to charge 4 batteries and each has 500mah, then your charger set up would be 1S/3.7V and 2A (that would equal 1C charge current) If your batteries are certified for 2 or 3 C, you could go up to 4 or 6A, depending if the charger has the power to do that (which I guess depends a lot on the power supply you use ... and of course the max charge amperage of the charger)

Personally, I dont like charging this way very much, because you cant see whats really going on, but it is overall the cheaper (and probably also faster) way compared to the 3as1 adapters (like the Xtreme ones I linked to)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Dec 08, 2014, 01:04 PM
Hopeless Quad/Heli addict
United States, MN, Le Center
Joined Sep 2013
340 Posts
If you buy an adapter from somewhere, be sure and check the polarity against your stock charger. Some are wired backwards from what the X1 batteries need.
Mmon77 is offline Find More Posts by Mmon77
Old Dec 08, 2014, 01:10 PM
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
I got one of these a couple days ago and have been practicing indoors.

I am having trouble getting it to rise in a controlled manner. I am able to get it off the floor a couple of inches and then move around.

In the next phase, I try bringing it up to two feet, which is manageable. Anything above that makes it start to rise up slowly. No matter how gently I nudge up the throttle, it will start rising until it hits the roof.

Any suggestions?
abpat2203 is offline Find More Posts by abpat2203
Old Dec 08, 2014, 01:19 PM
Joined Aug 2014
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade View Post
Ive just taken my X1 for a flight and it was behaving really weirdly. Most of the time, it was fine but every now and then it displayed some erratic movements. There was a bit of wind but these weird movements looked like they were independant of the wind. At one stage, it was flying horizontal (as usual) then all of a sudden, it flipped to vertical and came crashing down. Another time, it almost flipped to vertical again and then quickly returned to horizontal by itself. I never touched the right button on the tx that does the aerobatic movements. In fact, Ive never used that button, ever. There were also times when it was acting like it was having spasms in the air - very quick twitchy movements. And at one point, the X1 shot up very abruptly without any throttle input from ve.
Sounds like a motor going bad to me.
Mikenola is offline Find More Posts by Mikenola
Old Dec 08, 2014, 01:22 PM
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
EDIT: I thought the reply above was to my post. Sorry.

It just 4 flights old!

I can't even return it as it was a gift from my Reddit Secret Santa.

How can I confirm that the motor is malfunctioning?
Old Dec 08, 2014, 02:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3,402 Posts
E2 is correct, and Mmon77's cautions about polarity is valid. I would recommend a multimeter to anyone who has an interest in this hobby. They are cheap and accurate enough for what the hobbyist really needs. Every geekoid should own at least one.

This is an interesting link to an article about chargers and charging:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...-chargers.html

abpat2203- These things are not as easy to fly as one would assume in the beginning especially if one has no prior experience. Hovering near the floor is difficult because of the ground effect turbulence caused by the props; and flying near walls and especially the ceiling and obstructions can cause similar turbulence. It takes some practice to get these things to fly smoothly. I am still practicing regularly (for a lot of reasons) and it has been almost two years since I first started flying X1's. It takes time to get the eye-hand-fingers motor coordination going smoothly.

If a motor is starting to fail the quad will tend to drift or flip consistently in the direction of the failing or failed motor. A motor with 4 flights on it should still be healthy unless it has been damaged in a crash.

The best way to keep these brushed motors healthy is to let them cool after a flight, kill the throttle before one crashes, keep flight times and payloads realistic, and do not power stall the motors.

DB- It really could be some wind channeling around your house that caused this. Wind gradients at even a slightly higher elevation can really mess with these X1's. They are really sensitive to wind. I can get similar effects every now and then too. With my situation it appears to be correlated to the wind direction relative to my house and quad location. I have seen this happen next to my weather station's anemometer. I am flying along all nicely and smoothly and nest thing I observe is that wiggle/waggle flight stuff and my wind cups on the anemometer at 8' are spinning and it is dead calm below When I take my X1's above my tree line's I am always curious what is going to happen and when I am flying around my lower field I can see where there are differences in the wind speeds and direction based on how the X1's change flight from my expectations. WiFi interference can also be a problem. I think that I remember that a few owner/operators here have had problems with signal interference.

I hope this helps.

JB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
Old Dec 08, 2014, 04:33 PM
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Thanks JB. The funny thing is, I am able to hover inches off the ground, even 2 ft off it. Problem starts when I try to take it to, say 6ft.

I am assuming a slight nudge on the throttle would push me up from 2ft to 6ft and then should stay there, with minor trim control from my end. However, it keeps moving up slowly, which is what is confusing me. I cannot figure out why it keeps moving up even though I am not touching the throttle.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 05:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3,402 Posts
abpat- It's the nature of these little mini sized quads. If you can hover inches from the ground you are doing pretty well. Perceptual issues can present control challenges for the owner/operator as reference points change with height, distance and orientation with the quad. These little units do not hold a fixed position hover for very long without some minor and ongoing transmitter stick adjustments even in the calmest of flight environments. The flight controllers on these X1's are decent, but simple 3 axis stabilizing controllers. They require a little more transmitter stick inputting than some 6 axis stabilizing controllers, but even they ( the 6 axis quads or the ones that I have or had) will not hold a fixed position hover for very long. These little quads are great "trainers" for the fancier multi-rotors. The skill sets learned on the X1 are directly transferable to even those multi-rotors with the really fancy flight controllers that can do almost everything for the pilot but really fly the thing. That's why I keep flying my X1's. They are making me a better pilot for my other fancier quads.

It takes practice to get the "feel". It will become natural after awhile in each orientation (head in, tail in, left side in, right side in).

I hope my crazy rambling makes some sense, and that it helps.

JB
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2014, 05:43 PM
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Thanks! It does make sense. I am trying to practice as much as possible once my little one is asleep as he is terrified of it. I am eager to jump on to the next upgrade (a Syma X5C maybe) but want to get more hands on time with this one first.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 03:14 PM
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Apr 2013
2,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abpat2203 View Post
I got one of these a couple days ago and have been practicing indoors.

I am having trouble getting it to rise in a controlled manner. I am able to get it off the floor a couple of inches and then move around.

In the next phase, I try bringing it up to two feet, which is manageable. Anything above that makes it start to rise up slowly. No matter how gently I nudge up the throttle, it will start rising until it hits the roof.

Any suggestions?
Welcome to the X1 Club!

Helicopters and Multirotors have spinning props that push air down..
When they're taking off, that air is forced down to the floor, but,
then that air bounces out and back up - it has to have somewhere to go..

That creates something called ground effect...

It will cause the craft to be unstable since the props are just copping through turbulent air..

There's no fix to this other than to get the craft up higher..

Once it's 4-5 feet off the ground, it will start to hover like a dream!

The air above and below it will be 'calm' and not move the quad around..
That will make it much easier to control!

We've all been there.. So far so good!
Just take this info and run with it... Good luck, keep practicing,
and Happy Flying!

Sam -
DirtyDovi is offline Find More Posts by DirtyDovi
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:09 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3,402 Posts
Sam-

Good to see your post. How's your weather out your way? My weather has been and currently is sucking for any kind of flying- ice and frizzle everywhere.

Jay
RCG Plus Member