HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:28 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndCon View Post
Is it possible to use a 3.5 mm jack instead of slip-rings?
//UndCon
I tried a gold plated 3.5 mm jack as the slip ring on the winch drum on a boat's underwater tow a while back and it got the jitters so bad when it was under way that I wound up forking out for a proper slip ring anyway.
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined May 2011
25 Posts
hi..is it avaulable as a kit and how much is it ? How do I oder ?
uavfreak is offline Find More Posts by uavfreak
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
Give me a bit more time I am working on it.
There will be several prices depending on the level of prebuilt parts.
Some of us do not want to pay as much as some of the inventors (including me) would like to ask so I am going to give the possibility to spend a little more time when building it and there fore saving some money. If the job is done badly though, they will have to ask for spare parts and that moment they will loose money.
Some parts need to be bond really precesily. I have templates for that, but it could be achieved without them.
PistaJ is offline Find More Posts by PistaJ
Last edited by PistaJ; Jan 30, 2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:56 AM
United States, OH, Archbold
Joined Nov 2008
32 Posts
That is very nice, but I just wanted to know if anyone knows where to find rubber belts for the servos? As I would like to build one but I cannot seem to find where to buy small rc servo belts? Did you just the the timing belts from servo-city?
tropnevad is offline Find More Posts by tropnevad
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined May 2011
25 Posts
Hi Pistaj,
SOunds great.I can understand. Let me know once finished. How long do you think will it take ? Offering pre-mod servos as option also would be great. Not necessorily that everyone has the skill. (Just my two cents). Price looks fair.

Let me know once ready.

Tropnevad , you can use these kind of belts from old dot matrix printers , you need to cut and glue them though.
uavfreak is offline Find More Posts by uavfreak
Old Jan 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
france -Lyon
Joined Jun 2006
42 Posts
drapal
duck69 is offline Find More Posts by duck69
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Sep 2011
188 Posts
@PistaJ-

This looks really cool and I want one bad

So if you want any help prototyping your designs without dealing with the molds I have multiple 3d printers with high quality as well as a laser cutter and a 4 axis cnc. PM me if you want me to print/cut/mill anything for you for material costs.
ezmobius is offline Find More Posts by ezmobius
Old Jan 26, 2012, 02:20 AM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropnevad View Post
That is very nice, but I just wanted to know if anyone knows where to find rubber belts for the servos? As I would like to build one but I cannot seem to find where to buy small rc servo belts? Did you just the the timing belts from servo-city?
It was hard for me too - I used an old printer timing belt and made my own pulleys for it. I would love to know if there is a method of joining the belt endless once you need to shorten it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmobius View Post
@PistaJ-

This looks really cool and I want one bad

So if you want any help prototyping your designs without dealing with the molds I have multiple 3d printers with high quality as well as a laser cutter and a 4 axis cnc. PM me if you want me to print/cut/mill anything for you for material costs.
I am full of envy. So many nice thinks to play with. A friend of mine built my 3D milling machine which I use for producing the mount. Thanks for the offer anyway.
---------------------------------------------------------------
See the first post, prices not available
Last edited by PistaJ; Feb 08, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
188 Posts
Cool I'm glad to see you have made these available! I am building multiple CNC, laser and 3d printer machines of my own design and need objects to test in order to improve my machines.So if you ever want to access any of my tools I am happy to cut/mill/print things for cost of materials anytime and no I am not just fishing for free design files, I only care about making my tools better and rc parts are some of the best items to use to iterate my machines

I also have 3 more 3d printer kits sitting here waiting to be assembled, including a mendelmax, an Ultimaker and a makerbot replicator. I got lucky and got a grant to research personal manufacturing so I was able to purchase many kits and assemble them to see how everyone is doing things and then come up with a design for better systems then any of these if I can. So far its coming along nicely And I am having a hell of a fun time.

Some pics of my current tools:
ezmobius is offline Find More Posts by ezmobius
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:08 AM
Lisbon, Portugal
Joined Jan 2011
177 Posts
Is there a video of this flying?
filipinto is offline Find More Posts by filipinto
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:02 AM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
I am working on it. Will post tonight.
There will be pictures from one intended crush and one disaster not meant to happen. In both cases the mount survived, only the sphere got split from it.
Because it is glued to the shaft in a thoughtful way, it was reparable each time as well as the sphere damage.
I flew the wing which I hate. It flies badly and spins as soon as it looses speed. The spin is not recoverable. The video from the sphere is marvelous - if I forget the windy conditions. The view is perfect as expected.
Retracting works even during lite acrobatic. If only I had a better plane.
The wing is done, the mount is waiting for the shaft to bond to the fork. I can fly tomorrow again.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:09 PM
Illinois, USA
Joined Aug 2009
968 Posts
What about using an O-Ring for a belt? May be easier to make pulleys rather then a gear.
vertcnc is offline Find More Posts by vertcnc
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:11 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertcnc View Post
What about using an O-Ring for a belt? May be easier to make pulleys rather then a gear.
Potential slip problems with an O-Ring/belt/pulleys..... not good.... pan drive must/should be geared/chain/cogged belt.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Dec 2011
628 Posts
Something lighter perhaps?

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrica...nd-belts-71294
AshtonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AshtonFlyer
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Oct 2009
172 Posts
It looks like the BTC company complained at the RCGroups office about my design saying I copied their system, which is patented.
I have never had the BTC-40 in my hands, or do not know anybody who does.
I just found my way of making it and did not copy anything.

I have to confess that my design is pretty similar to the one that I found under this patent number:
http://www.google.com/patents/US7841783

Only the way of retracting the camera is different and there are no doors in my design.

I need to get in contact with someone from our patent center to tell me how much similar to the patent my camera turret is. Until than I must make the kit not available. There is going to be desspointment between those who already addressed me. If it is bad, and I am not able to sell the kit, I will post the CAD drawings of my design free, so you can do it yourselves for your need, but I think not for selling.