SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:32 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2012
2,248 Posts
TwistedGrin - my tail does lift shortly before take-off and pretty smoothly too.

kcey1 - that sucks. I haven't put on the guns for that reason and that they just catch on things in transit. I've never used the stock prop but replaced with a MAS 12x7x2 and never had a drama. With at new motor I'd hazard to guess you might be drawing about 36-39amp and more power. Are you still running the stock esc?
Griphin is offline Find More Posts by Griphin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Jan 2013
84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
TwistedGrin - my tail does lift shortly before take-off and pretty smoothly too.

kcey1 - that sucks. I haven't put on the guns for that reason and that they just catch on things in transit. I've never used the stock prop but replaced with a MAS 12x7x2 and never had a drama. With at new motor I'd hazard to guess you might be drawing about 36-39amp and more power. Are you still running the stock esc?
yeah thought about leaving them off when i first got her but they do glue back in easily enough and i've filled in the gaps along the underside of them now.... i won't be when the spinner arrives i have a turnigy trust 70a esc on its way with it..... acording to the specs it draws 25.5a and gives out 370w max prob good for a 11*6 prop with 3s but doesn't say how many blades anyway will be using durafly p51 four blade
kcey1 is offline Find More Posts by kcey1
Last edited by kcey1; Feb 17, 2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:14 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,248 Posts
70a esc is way over kill on 3S but a very good choice. I think you'll be disappointed with performance though. It really needs a 4S and works fine on the stock motor.

Still I was a bit worried about damaging the motor while pushing it and got a NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 1800Kv / 875w and set the throttle curve to 45%. Fits with new chrome spinner just great and pulls 51a 720W on 4S.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:39 PM
Foam air frame tester
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
326 Posts
Holey smokes 720W!! Are you trying to make it hover? Why are you guys changing props and motors? Do you want pylon racing performance or something?

I'm runnig 60A Hobby King ESC and with a fresh 4S 2200mAh 45C pulled 420W @ 30A sustained on the stock prop.
So yeah a 70A esc is pretty much just adding weight especially on 3S.
d3c0yz3d is offline Find More Posts by d3c0yz3d
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:08 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,354 Posts
If anybody is interested, durafly mrk 24, soon....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4278
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:53 PM
Foam air frame tester
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Nov 2012
326 Posts
Is it just me or do all those late war circa late '44 - '45 designs all ended up looking pretty much the same:
Spit, Seafury, Bearcat, really late mark P-47s that pretty much looked like Mustangs.

Pre '44 designs are the best for me as they have more form over function lol.

I wish starmax would do a 1600mm Me-109 that would be cool even though the wheels would be too small haha.
d3c0yz3d is offline Find More Posts by d3c0yz3d
Last edited by d3c0yz3d; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:46 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
No clue how I just now came across this spit.. For $105, its hard to pass up. Whats the general consensus on this thing?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3c0yz3d View Post
Holey smokes 720W!! Are you trying to make it hover? Why are you guys changing props and motors? Do you want pylon racing performance or something?
More like pull out of a flat spin slowing right down or a downward twisting spiral like out of control. I like to fly low too. It's helpful taking off from grass as well. And you get that sort of power only when the batt is full. Hover? No but I could just about take-off like a heli if I really really wanted to.
Saw a 2metre Corsair last weekend in racing colors and fitted out and flying like a pylon racer. That was cool but the turns pulled would blow this model Spitfire apart. No I just want the turbo boost there when I want it.
Last edited by Griphin; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:15 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
No clue how I just now came across this spit.. For $105, its hard to pass up. Whats the general consensus on this thing?
Personally well and truely worth every penny!!
I fly mine stock. The only mod I have done is to rack the landing gear forward to overcome the nose over tendency of "all" spitfires!
The only other thing I did to mine was a quick repaint of the god awful blue paint!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:32 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
If anybody is interested, durafly mrk 24, soon....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4278
I've had the Durafly Corsair for awhile now and the extra size of 100mm of my Spitty makes a world of difference taking off from grass. So much easier. I'm putting together a Durafly Vampire from kit and no retracts I'm going to hand launch only.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:51 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
Yeah, surprising how much bigger the extra 100mm is!!
My Durafly P-51 looks quite a lot smaller than the Spitfire. Though it does fly very well....

My Spitfire was put into a 'rest cycle' once I put a sound system into the P-51 also, but I got it out on Saturday.....
YIKES... I don't know what happened to the Spitfire, seeing I didn't change anything, but it was all over the place - as if it was quite tail heavy. It was flyable, so I kept going... but it was hairy! I had to stay up over 10m at least, to have safety leeway for some of the really whacko things it would do through various flight moves/manouevers! eg You could bank about 30 to 40deg for turns fine, but a bit more than that and it would fall a LOT and 'roll-over' into a worse and worse bank unless you fought that off with a lot of opposite aileron and elevator use.

I also wanted to test loops 'linearity' but it went whacko off the top of them! Same sort of severe rolling off to a side as it came off the top and into the 'fall' side - actually, it didn't even WANT to come over the top in a linear fashion - it needed extra up elevator to coax it around the arc.

On the ground I check CofG.... a bit tail heavy, not too much. It balanced at the very rear edge of the retract motor area. Normally I would have it mid motor, or even forwards edge of those. So it seemed a BIT tail heavy, but it flew like something with a severe issue.
Everything else checked ok... so off I went again... SAME thing..... so I landed within a minute that time!

I'll get some more weight forwards and try again in a day or so.....

It is amazing how the 'current best plane' fluctuates.... not just one other improving to be better than it, but often one just is lack lustre all of a sudden. Sometimes highlighted by another one that is doing better, but sometimes they just don't fly 'right' anymore (maybe on that day).
It would have been good to try more nose weight right then and there, but I had no way to do that.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:00 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
Oh... Now that I think about it I DID change some things....

1) Opened the under-chin air scoop to allow airflow through the hatch area.
2) Opened an air exit hole under the rear fuselage
3) Trimmed the wheel well foam edging so the wheel fairings rest into those on the front edge to end up flush to the wing surface - seeing they are quite angled due to the gear leg angle mod.

I also noted that when I retracted the wheel after take-off it went sharpy DOWNWARDS at some point of their travel. That was the first thing that was severely abnormal and a scarey moment! It seemed that maybe they were somewhere from 1/2 way to 3/4 way in when that was mainly noted. Or maybe even as they go to all the way in? I didn't remember the wheel well/fairing mod stuff, but maybe that altered the airflows and effective underside camble/airflow then?
But they were worse of an airflow impedance before that mod!

The other weird actions... whenever it did something extreme or abnormal, it would quite easily escalate to even worse, if not acted on right away. And to fly it stable and scale took a lot of effort and care of the aileron / rudder / elevator balances all the way through turns... or else it could try that 'excessive roll over' thing.

It wasn't like other tail heavy cases I have had in planes, but that is the only thing I can think it would have been. ???
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Wakerley
Joined Jun 2012
24 Posts
Hey guys I was wondering, I wanted to fit a UBEC to this model, and having no experience in this area I would appreciate some help. Would this be sufficient?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V_5A_UBEC.html

At the moment it doesn't have flaps, but I will be adding those in the next couple of weeks. Is 5A 5V suitable. I use a Turnigy 9X transmitter and receiver.

Also what is the difference between a UBEC and a SBEC??
Webcrowd is offline Find More Posts by Webcrowd
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:42 AM
Australia, QLD, Wakerley
Joined Jun 2012
24 Posts
Also I see a lot of people trying 4S power systems, just wondering if anyone has tried a more scale looking 13" prop on this baby for scale looks?
Webcrowd is offline Find More Posts by Webcrowd
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webcrowd View Post
Hey guys I was wondering, I wanted to fit a UBEC to this model, and having no experience in this area I would appreciate some help. Would this be sufficient?
I run a BEC 6V 5A onto a little 800mAh 3S batt I had un used. 6 power hungry servos and retracts and I've never had a problem.

13" two blade would be too big for the model IMO.