HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2011, 04:07 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
Looks awesome mate, glad you love the plane, can't wait for mine.

Looks like you have an amazing field to fly at
You are gonna' love it!

What battery setup are you planning??

-Buzzed
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 04:14 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
You are gonna' love it!

What battery setup are you planning??

-Buzzed
Getting mine from ADC mate so using there 4 cell power combo, Hacker A40-10S, Hacker SB70 Pro, Hitex 5245MG's all round, for batts I got 3x4cell 45C 4000mah Zippys here, so gonna use those.

They are about 50g heavier than your nanos but it can get a bit windy here so hoping that extra weight might help. They are around 480g, a little over the recommended but I'm sure it will be ok.
Lojik is online now Find More Posts by Lojik
Old May 25, 2011, 04:17 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
Getting mine from ADC mate so using there 4 cell power combo, Hacker A40-10S, Hacker SB70 Pro, Hitex 5245MG's all round, for batts I got 3x4cell 45C 4000mah Zippys here, so gonna use those.

They are about 50g heavier than your nanos but it can get a bit windy here so hoping that extra weight might help. They are around 480g, a little over the recommended but I'm sure it will be ok.
Yep, sounds like a perfect setup. I may go with a little larger battery too. Gonna' try a 40c this evening when the winds pick up.

The Slicks carry weight great. Barely noticeable. And if you do notice, it's in a good (tracking) kinda' way.

-Buzzed
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old May 25, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Yep, sounds like a perfect setup. I may go with a little larger battery too. Gonna' try a 40c this evening when the winds pick up.

The Slicks carry weight great. Barely noticeable. And if you do notice, it's in a good (tracking) kinda' way.

-Buzzed
Awesome, sounds like I made the right choice with batts, bought a watt meter last night as this will be my first medium size electric and I don't wanna fry anything, got a few 15x6 wooden Vox props I'm gonna try.
Lojik is online now Find More Posts by Lojik
Old May 25, 2011, 05:23 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Ok, this is my new favorite 3DHS plane. Oh man is this thing awesome!

I went with the recommended Hacker, a 15x7 APC, Ice 100, AR 8000 receiver, and AJ's digi Futaba servos. Even have some brand spankin' new Nano Tech 4S 4000s from HK. The 25-50C batteries are nice and light.

I got out to the field here in Phoenix WAY before the glow P-40 crowd and it was cool n' calm. Did the old hold-the-plane-by-the-wing-tube balance trick and off she went! A few clicks of elev and aileron trim and then a few snaps, blenders, knife edge spins, and a hover proved to me that this is one beautiful flying 3DHS bird. Only Team 3DHS can invent a plane that gives me the confidence to max perform on a maiden. Hehe.

I have just finished charging for this evenings sunset session with my fellow Addicts. Can't wait to fly it again!

Enjoy the photos and thank you Ben, AJ, and Team 3DHS,

-Buzzed

P.S. Flew for 7-minutes and landed at 15.0 volts on my 4S battery. A very efficient setup. May prop it up to a Xoar 15x8 for a little more thrust.

(BTW, NeverEnough did a fine job with the build!)
Sweet. Love the sunshine too.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old May 25, 2011, 06:40 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
Just got back from flying. I don't have a video camera otherwise I would ask someone to video tape my flying. I can do a clinic on flying, I mostly fly pattern/imac stuff but if someone wants to know tricks like how to use the rudder on the maneuvers and fly in the winds I can write about that.

Ok so first thing I did at the field was I added 1/2oz of tail weight. Flew nice but no locks in hover, etc. Then I added another 1/2oz and I was finally getting some locks and started tailslides however the problem showed up during landings. It just did not land nicely, very touchy and very bouncy. I flew in a 10-15mph wind gusts. So then I took off all the tail weight and moved the battery about 3/4inch forward from the wing tube. Flew ok but landings were too fast.

One thing I noticed, the plane likes to be light for it to sparkle. You can have a heavier motor up front and weight in the back but the wing loading increases and then the plane is not as fun to fly or land. So then I moved the batts up against the wing tube just like I had it yesterday and all was well. That's the CG I settled on, I think it's right behind the wing tube, 110mm?

I did fly some fun maneuvers. First was a stationary knife edge into the wind. Second was a very slow knife edge circle, and I mean slow, slower than walking speed. That was up wind, downwind was a jogging speed. Then I went high rate on the elevator, I think I have like 35 degrees, not sure have to measure it. And guys, I did my first pancake landing approach, no motor, but I chickened out about five feet above ground and went for a normal landing. The winds were gusting on the ground so I aborted. But I did notice that now with increased throw in the elevator, the wing rock is almost gone. So the plane can do pancake landings but it's not light enough and I think need to add bit of throttle on touchdown to slow the descent rate.

It hovers ok, and I used 15x7 prop which had too much bite and so only prop left I had was 14x6 and I used that and I think I'm going to stick with it because my throttle is less sensitive with that prop and can hover better with it, but it doesn't have a pull of the 15". Maybe I could use 15x5 or 15x6, need to experiment.

All my landings were bouncy except one smooth landing, no bounce. Too gusty. Oh, I did five consecutive knife edge loops, figure eights, all kinds of knife edge flying, very cool. One can make them as large or small as they want. Also on high elevator rates I did in place flips, had to use throttle blips to flip it. That was fun. Almost looped around its wing tube.

One thing that was scary was coming in to land in crosswind and then I hit rudder to straighten her out but since I have single high rate max throw rudder, I overshot in a split second and the plane headed the opposite direction then had to bring her back straight to land and that happended really quick. Can't go dual rate on rudder as I like full rudder and low elev. and ailerons so I can drive her smoothly when in knife edge.

One question for experts. I can do the rolling loops either with a rudder or elevator alterations. Has anyone settled on one or the other? I find it easier with the elevator but rudder isn't that bad either, seems smoother.

Been flying for over twenty years and I used to love reading Dave Patrick's aerobatics articles in MAN. Anyone remember the cool wring it out tapes? Got them. You'll see Dave doing tailslides with his ultimate on there, that's what I was doing with my dreamer bipe. Yes, 20 foot drops easy.

So to recap, this plane definitely loves low wing loadings and thus very light motor and batts. Don't use the 4315 motor, too heavy and not needed. You can use it but then you either add 1oz to the tail or move the rudder servo to the tail. I moved the rudder servo there and absolutely love it there. With the 4-40 rod it rocks. Got 12 flights total on the plane so far but flying aerobatics with it is way too easy. Definitely, one can not go to a heavier (aeroworks) 50cc plane from this one. The mass and response times are very different, if one employs slick's response time then they're going to burry the 50cc. Totally different feels.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Old May 25, 2011, 07:20 PM
Joined Sep 2006
188 Posts
I'm tired and my mind doesn't work. Scratch the rolling loop question. I guess it's just a rolling circle but vertical so the same applies, ie. using both rudder and elevator. I just started doing those, getting into the 3d stuff lately. This slick plane sure makes learning 3D stuff much easier than my gas plane. One of my stick's fav. maneuver is flying into a head wind above runway. Then point the nose up and park her in there. Then start using the rudder to slide the plane towards or away from you. Still being stationary in the air in height and fore/aft. Then flip her inverted and do the same then pancake land with a bit of throttle at the bottom to slow the fall rate. It's magical.
FlyStraight is offline Find More Posts by FlyStraight
Old May 25, 2011, 07:28 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,603 Posts
Pancake landing is a new term to me. I don't really get it. Do you just drop it straight down? Isn't that hard on the LG?
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old May 25, 2011, 07:38 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Ill buy you a video camera. We have to see this flying
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old May 25, 2011, 07:42 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
I dont like pancakes....Im a waffle guy.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old May 25, 2011, 07:42 PM
Crashing Gooder and Gooder!
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Feb 2009
2,313 Posts
Put 4 more packs through her today, got my expos sorted.. this thing flat out rocks!!

I used to think the Edge was the eaisiest to harrier..um.. no, this is. Hover is very stable..and easy!! I'm sure Losi will be doing the hand catch on this one soon.. Ben and AJ, I don't know how you do it.. but great job improving one of the best planes of all time!!!

Whatda ya think AJ, the 59" at the AMA indoors this year??
YamaDan is offline Find More Posts by YamaDan
Old May 25, 2011, 07:43 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
I don't know, sounds more like a Deadstick Harrier Landing to me.....
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old May 25, 2011, 07:46 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts

no landing gear warranty for you!

blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2011, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I don't know, sounds more like a Deadstick Harrier Landing to me.....
Ive done those before.....not intentionally...didnt end well....to be avoided
Old May 25, 2011, 07:48 PM
Joined Jan 2007
6,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post

no landing gear warranty for you!

lol....lg nazi