SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:43 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
It seems my motor mount has a hairline crack in it after a light 3 point landing which had a slight off power prop strike today. I ordered a spare motor mount as soon as I heard about the failures so I should be good to go. I do have a cnc mount on the way as well.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:25 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
More spars.

Well I decided to throw a spar on the top and sides too. Everything should tie in to that center tube spar Drastically increasing the impacts that can be handled on landing for those of us learning...

I have a bad case of "Ok, it's time for the bird to come down NOW...I need to get in the habit of doing a go around if I'm not happy with it. Really thought I would stick the landing this afternoon, but somethin went wrong...Either gusty wind, or I just set her on the ground like a two year old with last weeks toy.......
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:15 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Well I decided to throw a spar on the top and sides too. Everything should tie in to that center tube spar Drastically increasing the impacts that can be handled on landing for those of us learning...
Hopefully the 4 spars will keep her in one piece. It's pretty weird watching a plane land and snapping into two pieces like it did.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:00 AM
Watch my trickeration! Oops...
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Dec 2010
248 Posts
Sorry about the crash, bubba. Although the demented side of me wishes I had been there to see it. Apparently "Jr." may stick after all!!!!
Mustangman50 is offline Find More Posts by Mustangman50
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:50 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
That's what's odd about the break Dan...It wasn't really a "crash" so to speak, just a hard landing. I was on the runway though
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:56 AM
NORDPAC S3
United States, OR, Estacada
Joined Jan 2009
1,103 Posts
From Dictionary.com

CRASH:

15. Aeronautics . to cause (an aircraft) to make a landing in an abnormal manner, usually damaging or wrecking the aircraft.
mfpage is offline Find More Posts by mfpage
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:00 AM
Watch my trickeration! Oops...
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Dec 2010
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
That's what's odd about the break Dan...It wasn't really a "crash" so to speak, just a hard landing. I was on the runway though
get a belly lander (Mustang) and forget it!!!
Mustangman50 is offline Find More Posts by Mustangman50
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:45 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpage View Post
From Dictionary.com

CRASH:

15. Aeronautics . to cause (an aircraft) to make a landing in an abnormal manner, usually damaging or wrecking the aircraft.
Thanks Page, but think about that definition...

First we are talking about toys, not real airplanes carrying real people. Next let's talk about abnormal...Uh-oh, your flaps won't go down..Plane lands without incident (abnormal, but not a crash). Landing in high crosswinds and crabbing it in (abnormal). Bird strikes the plane and takes out 1 engine on a multi engine, lands safely (abnormal, but not a crash). Off airport landings (abnormal, but not crashes)...

This is one reason the FAA uses ACCIDENT or INCIDENT and does not define anything as a "crash". And yes, I did have an accident on landing, but I choose to use the term "crash" for a reason.

It's all good, I knew someone would try and debate the terminology of my statement, but your ability to debate the subject and use references shows that you likely got the point I was trying to make.

I may one day Dan, it looks like a fun plane for sure. Zack pulled a sick spiral dive with his on Sunday...He never realized how close to terra firma he was. But the Mustang or any other warbird will never have the control surface area and throws of the Yak. I just need to get better at landing it safely
Last edited by StormJunkie; Feb 28, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:41 PM
NORDPAC S3
Joined Jan 2009
1,103 Posts
A rose by any other name is still a rose.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:34 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
But calling a daisy a rose does NOT make it a rose...Just like if you bump another car in a parking lot and then go around telling everyone you were in a "crash"; they would likely treat you like a drama queen
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:32 PM
NORDPAC S3
Joined Jan 2009
1,103 Posts
If someone who had not seen the "incident" came upon your plane in 2 broken pieces lying on the ground what do you think that person would think?

Remember: Denial in not just a river in Egypt.

Accept it, live with it and you will become a better pilot for it.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:38 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
What I would think? "Ouch, what happened?" Beyond that it becomes an assumption...

This started out as a grammar lesson and has become an effort to help me become a better pilot. Both of which I appreciate (not being a wise ) , but I think are a little misguided. I used quotation marks around crash to reflect interpretation variances. As for accepting it; you obviously don't know me...I've had plenty of crashes, and I'll do it again, and have zero problem admitting it. Flew my Corsair in to trees two weeks in a row! Now those were crashes worthy of being called a crash

The best way for a novice pilot like me to become a better pilot is to be able to keep flying. That's why I was posting pics of my repairs and my thoughts on a weak spot in the plane. Just behind the canopy. If you aren't going to land the plane pretty smoothly every time; you may want to think about sparing this up front as it's easier then repairing a fully snapped fuse (and it can be done a lot cleaner with a lot less epoxy). I would also recommend filling in the extra space in the spars on the elevators and rudder with epoxy. Either the depth of the spar on those parts is not correct, or it's a poor glue job; I haven't broken one but others have. Not to mention I have the plane in my hands and can see and feel that these are weak spots.

Now at least most of that was relevant to the forum.
Last edited by StormJunkie; Mar 01, 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:13 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Landing is the hardest part of flying and put's the most stress on the frame, especially if not done perfect which sometimes is not the easiest thing to do. I have only 2 landings so far on the yak, first one was hot, around 200 feet rollout after touching down, second landing I harriered it in at the last second with the prop off and took a light bounce and rolled maybe 10 feet. The landing gear is kind of stiff so I could see the fuse snapping in half if enough forced was applied. That's a live and learn lesson at best, I bet StormJunkie has learned it by now and will at least try to come in as soft and smooth as possible as if he wasn't trying that before, after all, isn't that what we all shoot for at the end of the flight? Sometimes things don't always work as planned, sorry to hear about the mishap, glad you got it back together though!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:00 AM
United States, CA, West Hills
Joined Dec 2010
90 Posts
Hi Guys, I just put together my new Carbon Z Yak.

can some one tell what the small switch hanging in the battery compartment is for? its not mentioned anywhere in the manual. and also is it normal for servos to buzz continuously? its kind of annoying.

Please advise.

Thanks
zsultan is offline Find More Posts by zsultan
Old Mar 01, 2011, 05:42 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
The switch is an on/off for the RX. As for the buzzing, it's a habit of the digital servos from what I understand. If you ever manage to get them trimmed perfectly with no tension on them they will quite down; but it's not required and may not be able to be done on all the servos.

Enjoy the new bird, it's a fun plane. Just watch the weak spots; motor mounts, fuse behind canopy, an the spars in the elevator and rudder.