HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:32 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Hey guys. Something odd about my skywalker with dragonosd.

Im using the dragonosd with an fy20 and dragonlink. Usually when im in the menu i should not have any control of the servos. For some reason in the menu i still have control. For instance when i toggle between menus the servos move. I am unable to verify the servo direction test when it is doing this.

Any tips?
Ha... try having that happen when you are flying and want to adjust gains... "need more gain" right stick... "crap plane is turning! leave the menu!"

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:36 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,600 Posts
Quote:

Im using the dragonosd with an fy20 and dragonlink. Usually when im in the menu i should not have any control of the servos. For some reason in the menu i still have control. For instance when i toggle between menus the servos move. I am unable to verify the servo direction test when it is doing this.

Any tips?
Has it always done this or is this a new setup? What is your wiring connection between DL, DOSD, and FY20?
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:48 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Has it always done this or is this a new setup? What is your wiring connection between DL, DOSD, and FY20?
I cleaned up the wiring and it did not do that in the past.

Im using the PPM channel 11 on the dragonlink and set my channel 1 in dosd to ppm. All my servos connect to the fy20 and then connect the fy20 to the receiver. Using PPM from dlink to dosd.

Everything works except return to home.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:01 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Sep 2007
2,530 Posts
Ok i bypassed the fy20 and plugged the servos into the dragonosd and she worked fine. Something about the fy20 wiring maybe?
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:08 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,600 Posts
Quote:
Ok i bypassed the fy20 and plugged the servos into the dragonosd and she worked fine. Something about the fy20 wiring maybe?
I'm a little lost on your connections...Ch 12 is PPM out on DL, not Ch 11. DOSD has a dedicated PPM input...not a Ch1 for PPM. You have four PWM outputs that are assignable.

If I understand the rest of your connection, you have the FY20 connected to the DL Rx and then your servos connected to the FY20. In this scenario your servos will always move with the sticks.

Instead, connect the PPM fromthe DL to the DOSD. Assign your PWM outputs as desired (Ail, Ele, Thr, Rud; or whatever sequence you want.) Connect the PWM outputs to your FY20 inputs, then your servos to the FY20 outputs. In this scenaro the DOSD interupts the Ail and Ele signals and doesn't pass that info through the PWM output while you are in menu mode...yet the FY20 should still be operating the Ail and Ele servos to maintain stabilization.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:19 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Sep 2007
2,530 Posts
You are the man Vic!

Having a bad day since the niners lost the superbowl. Not sure why i wired it up the way i had it. I took your advice.

Connected PPM ch12 on dlink to the PPM on the dragonOsd.

I assiged pwm1 ail, pwm2 elev, pwm3 rudd. From there i connected to the corresponding inputs on the FY20. Worked like a charm! I appreciate the help bud.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:28 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,450 Posts
Quote:

Any tips?
are the offending servos plugged into the FY, the DL or the DOSD?
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:44 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Sep 2007
2,530 Posts
Servos plugged in the fy20. Fy20 plugs into dragonosd, not the dragonlink receiver which i had it previously.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:11 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,450 Posts
...and FY-20 plugged into the DOSD or the receiver? should be the DOSD
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:20 PM
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
...and FY-20 plugged into the DOSD or the receiver? should be the DOSD
just re-read your post.

Hmmm so the...
elevator and aileron stick controls go to the DL TX, then to the Rx,
PPM to the DOSD,
ELE and AIL from the DOSD PWM outputs into FY?
In menu mode (not autopilot) DOSD does not output ail and ele.
FY should therefore not be getting any control input change to pass to the servos.

There must be some channel assignments amiss methinks, or some mixing in your radio (eg dual aileron or a ail>rudder mix)

or aileron plugged into rudder socket on FY

**scratches head**
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:00 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Ok fellas. Received my USB connector from RMRC today so I'm going to try and connect up to the computer. I don't want to screw this up. What connections go where? Is this a 3 wire hookup? Didn't see specific instructions in the manual but did read how to build a connector. Should I just follow that?
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:38 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,396 Posts
Well getting it connected to the computer doesn't really matter if the program doesn't work. Installed the PC commander from the link on the first page, installed the program, and tried to open it. I'm getting a "Dragon OSD +PC Commander has stopped working" "Windows is checking for a solution to the problem."

No workie!

It's been more than two hours and still nothing. I can't get anything to work. This is more than just frustrating. I tried hooking up my OSD to the TTL converter I received today. The converter has no led lit so I assmue it is also not working. The OSD is powered correctly that I'm almost sure of. The connection between the OSD and the TTL I have no idea. Honestly the manual sucks in this regard.

The DOSD+ config tool does actually open but I can't select any com port. It doesn't give me any choices. The help menu is visible but all of the contents are missing. I get "navagation to web page missing" in the place where the text should be.

I've tried removing and loading the programs more than 10 times even trying the first version of the software. Nothing nada.

I'm done for tonight. Really sucks I can't even verify the 180 bucks I spent on the thing is actually working.

My misselling is because Im typing angry.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mike Freas; Feb 04, 2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Hey guys, attached is my diagram. Currently, I have a LC filter on the Video transmitter. Would it help if I put one on the UBEC as well? (note: my esc and UBEC are separate).
If so, where on the UBEC would I put the LC filter? Thanks
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:57 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
just re-read your post.

Hmmm so the...
elevator and aileron stick controls go to the DL TX, then to the Rx,
PPM to the DOSD,
ELE and AIL from the DOSD PWM outputs into FY?
In menu mode (not autopilot) DOSD does not output ail and ele.
FY should therefore not be getting any control input change to pass to the servos.

There must be some channel assignments amiss methinks, or some mixing in your radio (eg dual aileron or a ail>rudder mix)

or aileron plugged into rudder socket on FY

**scratches head**
I think he's good to go now...just had things connected to the wrong places.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:05 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Well getting it connected to the computer doesn't really matter if the program doesn't work. Installed the PC commander from the link on the first page, installed the program, and tried to open it. I'm getting a "Dragon OSD +PC Commander has stopped working" "Windows is checking for a solution to the problem."

No workie!

It's been more than two hours and still nothing. I can't get anything to work. This is more than just frustrating. I tried hooking up my OSD to the TTL converter I received today. The converter has no led lit so I assmue it is also not working. The OSD is powered correctly that I'm almost sure of. The connection between the OSD and the TTL I have no idea. Honestly the manual sucks in this regard.

The DOSD+ config tool does actually open but I can't select any com port. It doesn't give me any choices. The help menu is visible but all of the contents are missing. I get "navagation to web page missing" in the place where the text should be.

I've tried removing and loading the programs more than 10 times even trying the first version of the software. Nothing nada.

I'm done for tonight. Really sucks I can't even verify the 180 bucks I spent on the thing is actually working.

My misselling is because Im typing angry.
The ONLY connections you need to make between the TTL and DOSD is the Tx, Rx, and GND. Both the TTL device and DOSD are marked what the pins are. You want to connect the DOSD Rx pin to the TTL TX pin, the DOSD Tx pin to the TTL Rx pin, and DOSD Gnd to TTL Gnd pins. DO NOT connect a powerlead between the DOSD and TTL.

1) PC Commander requires .Netframeworks 3.5 to work. Win7 and Win8 already have this, WinXP (and maybe Vista) will need to have it installed.
2) You MUST power the DOSD from the DOSD power pins...DOSD is not powered via the TTL connection.
3). Make sure your PC recognizes and installs the TTL device driver. To check:
Plug in the TTL USB dongle to your computer
Right Click on 'My Computer'
Left Click on Manage
Left Click on Device Manager
Look in the right window. Do you see anything with a yellow background and a "!"? If so, the 'puter sees the device but hasn't loaded the driver. You will need to check from where you got the device to which driver it requires. Do a Google search if you're not sure how to 'manually' install a driver.
If you don't see the yellow background with the !, Left Click on the Comm/Ports folder. It will open. You should see your device and port number listed here if it is installed and ready to use.

I think the manual explains things well. The problem comes when there are so many devices from so many manufacturers that do the same job. You can't explain how to hook up every potential device out there. The basics are covered though, Tx, Rx, and GND wire connections are all you need to make between the DOSD and TTL pins.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; Feb 04, 2013 at 10:12 PM.