HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:24 PM
In Foam We Trust
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,797 Posts
The winds looked good, and the windchill was 8 degrees Fahrenheit just like the day Jason flew there. Maybe it only blows when its super cold? I hope not...
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
We stopped by Bird Springs on the way home from Weldon yesterday 2-13-2012. Alan flew his JW and Bruce flew his D-40. The wind was strong 40-60 and the directions was good. It was in the 20's and very vey cold. Bruce flew his D-40 into the 190's. It was getting dark so we didn't long. I wish we would have gone there earlier. Next time...
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:22 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,654 Posts
How's the road up there in the rain/snow? I'm going to check it out on Saturday.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:18 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
The road is fine. 2wd no problem. Snow I think would require 4wd. It is a 45min. drive from the top of weldon if your on a good pace.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:23 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
The road is fine. 2wd no problem. Snow I think would require 4wd. It is a 45min. drive from the top of weldon if your on a good pace.
10 min if you drive like Spencer?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,052 Posts
45mins if you drive like spencer. Maybe 40.
joe manor is offline Find More Posts by joe manor
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:59 AM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,654 Posts
It's been blowing at the lake all night. I'm checking out bird springs today.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:43 AM
In Foam We Trust
Joined Sep 2008
2,797 Posts
I am heading up, and looking for more to go with. Should be 500 air today.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,613 Posts
Sweet....hope you guys score.
Any big dog planes going.???

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,654 Posts
Well...we flew...but didn't exactly get close to 500. Probably closer to 100. Winds were only about 20-25 when we got there. Cold In the wind but nice in the lee of the hill. I can see the potential when the wind gets big but there wasn't much power at these winds. I flew my beater JW. The space is huge, so big it was hard to decide on a line. You can go really deep or keep it tight. It's. Of exactly a user friendly site like Weldon but definitely has record potential.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:19 AM
In Foam We Trust
Joined Sep 2008
2,797 Posts
A wee bit of wind coming

Might need to add a few ounces of ballast:
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:27 AM
In Foam We Trust
Joined Sep 2008
2,797 Posts
Bird Springs Pass 2/25/2012

I got a late start and missed the strongest wind today, but I did get to BSP while it was good. The wind was 40-50mph, straight in and pristine. The weather was fairly warm at 50 degrees. I only flew the Mako, but no radar (estimated 170-180mph).

BSP, when the conditions are good like today, is one of the best spots I have ever flown. The frontside lift is enormous, better than anything I have flown before. The backside is dead calm and clean with no funny rotors or phantom turbulence. The shear is crisp and defined. There are multiple grooves you can fly, but there is a very obvious "fast" groove the puts out a nice boost on the bottom turn for max speed.

I left after a while to meet up with Bruce at Weldon, but the conditions were somewhat ratty. Windspeeds were not quite as good as BSP (northwest prevailing flow today), and backside was tough to fly a clean line. Bruce and I went back to BSP to catch the last hour of light and got some fun flying in 25mph wind.

Based on what I saw today, I would only go to BSP during a NW flow and when the local sensor is over 50mph. At 40-50mph, the power was as good as anywhere. I can only imagine what it was like when Jason flew it in 80mph+. The DS'ing is incredibly good there when conditions are right, at least as good as Weldon.

Because BSP needs a NW flow and Weldon needs a W flow, one or the other will be good but not both at the same time. This is a good thing since we won't feel like we are missing out if we go to BSP and its firing. Same for Weldon, no need to leave if its perfect.

I made a KMZ file showing where to park, launch, land, stand, ds and radar for anyone hoping to score it huge. You need high ground clearance to get there from the 14 freeway, but a car could probably get there from Kelso Valley Road. I also have some photos of the surrounding area:
Last edited by Aerogance; Feb 26, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:46 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,613 Posts
Sounds great Aaron..so amazing to have equally good sites that work in differend directions. Well done.

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:49 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,703 Posts
Brilliant, thanks! Had a good look. Had to laugh ... even though I've been to Socal it's funny to open the pics of a fabulous new site and see mega rocks everywhere! And no trees! Very, very different to our backyard.

I can see now that it's closer to Isabella than to Mojave, which is nice. Kernville will be a good base to cover both sites during our upcoming visit.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:01 PM
In Foam We Trust
Joined Sep 2008
2,797 Posts
Wednesday could be really strong wind

"* WINDS: WEST WINDS SUSTAINED AT 40 TO 60 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 60 TO
80 MPH ARE EXPECTED. LOCALLY HIGHER WINDS ARE POSSIBLE ON
EXPOSED RIDGETOPS AND DOWNWIND OF CANYON OPENINGS.

* TIMING: WINDS SHOULD INCREASE LATE WEDNESDAY MORNING TO
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...PEAK EARLY WEDNESDAY EVENING THEN SLOWLY
DECREASE AFTER MIDNIGHT THURSDAY INTO THURSDAY MORNING."

This is the forecast for just north of BSP for wednesday. So far, BSP seems to follow this forecast area very well. Too bad its on a weekday