Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_keeter View Post
Just started the build on my blue Bandit yesterday
I can't wait to get it in the air, if I have any questions I'll be sure to ask.

Learned a valuable build lesson while cutting the Bandit openings: Inattention to xacto blade location can quickly turn your "assembly fluid" into blood thinner. The cut is healing well though and I'll be on alieron installation soon.
OUCH!

All this talk of Bandits makes me think I'll fly mine on the weekend. I haven't had it out for a few weeks.
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:50 AM
United States, GA, Pooler
Joined Nov 2008
326 Posts
Do the plastic ball links holes require any drilling? I'm having difficulty getting the CF pushrods in. Maybe it will fit once I sand and notch the rods?
pilot_keeter is offline Find More Posts by pilot_keeter
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Nov 2008
326 Posts
Also, I keep searching for build threads/logs and keep turning up people with either quality or service issues regarding PA and the planes... what gives? It's hard to find some positive words about these aircraft. And even harder to find a recorded build (mainly of the Bandit).
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:18 AM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Do the plastic ball links holes require any drilling? I'm having difficulty getting the CF pushrods in. Maybe it will fit once I sand and notch the rods?
What works for me is to rough the end of the CF rod with fairly course sandpaper (this will slightly reduce the OD of the rod and allow it to fit easier).
Then use a fine flat or triangular file to notch or serrate one side of the rod. This gives the epoxy something to "bite" onto and also allows the epoxy to squeeze out of the joint. It there is no channel for the epoxy to squeeze out you will never get the rod into the hole. There are pics and a simple guide that I posted earlier in this thread.

dG

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=910

demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Last edited by demonGti; Nov 16, 2012 at 02:31 AM. Reason: added pic and link
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Nov 2008
326 Posts
I did see that post, your ^ explanation helps as well. Thanks dg!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Once you do a couple PA builds, the process is straight forward. Their process is slightly different from the rest (at least for those manufacture I buy from). I have an understanding why they do what they do even though I find it more tedious and prone to issue if one doesn't pay attention to details. You can always stray from it if you're comfortable with going differently. I also think once you get into building a plane like the Bandit, it's under the assumption that the process it rather mundane and as a result most don't bother to post their builds.

Take your time. Based on my experience, their builds in general require a little more time but is worth it. Good luck.

Quote:
Also, I keep searching for build threads/logs and keep turning up people with either quality or service issues regarding PA and the planes... what gives? It's hard to find some positive words about these aircraft. And even harder to find a recorded build (mainly of the Bandit).
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Here is a detailed build log with photos, though it's in German. I found it helpful. You can use Google Translate to get some idea of what he's saying.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...-von-PA/page31
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Nov 2008
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Once you do a couple PA builds, the process is straight forward. Their process is slightly different from the rest (at least for those manufacture I buy from). I have an understanding why they do what they do even though I find it more tedious and prone to issue if one doesn't pay attention to details. You can always stray from it if you're comfortable with going differently. I also think once you get into building a plane like the Bandit, it's under the assumption that the process it rather mundane and as a result most don't bother to post their builds.

Take your time. Based on my experience, their builds in general require a little more time but is worth it. Good luck.
That makes sense! I diffidently plan on taking my time with this one. Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Nov 2008
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
Here is a detailed build log with photos, though it's in German. I found it helpful. You can use Google Translate to get some idea of what he's saying.

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...-von-PA/page31

Thanks, I'll check that out too!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:36 AM
Landing, watch your ass!!!
Joined Dec 2010
89 Posts
I got a pile of crap today, the bad package. No way to repair it again. bad real frustrating....
flyball is offline Find More Posts by flyball
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Nov 2008
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyball View Post
I got a pile of crap today, the bad package. No way to repair it again. bad real frustrating....
What happen? Damage from the mail?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Nov 2008
326 Posts
DG, I noticed you used the outside most hole on the CF arms. A lot of others have mentioned using the inside hole so that the push-rod is more perpendicular and 90 degrees. When using the inside hole, the plastic ball-link cannot swivel freely all the way around. It binds against the end of the plastic servo arm. Will this hinder my throws? Should I move it to the outer most CF arm hole??
Last edited by pilot_keeter; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:44 PM
Precision Aerobatics Team
South Africa, GP, Randburg
Joined Dec 2006
2,044 Posts
Use the outer holes. The geometry is such that the control rods will be 90 to the control surface at full deflection, which is where you need the most torque from the servos. When the ailerons are neutral you end up with control rods that are not parallel to the ribs in the wing but this is as intended.
demonGti is offline Find More Posts by demonGti
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Nov 2008
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonGti View Post
Use the outer holes. The geometry is such that the control rods will be 90 to the control surface at full deflection, which is where you need the most torque from the servos. When the ailerons are neutral you end up with control rods that are not parallel to the ribs in the wing but this is as intended.

Ohhh ok, that makes sense, thanks a lot!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Nov 2008
326 Posts
I accidentally cut down my push rods based on the inner hole and not the outer hole. I have at least half the insertion length of the metal clevis on both ailerons. Should this be enough to still get a strong enough connection? I'll be using 30 min. epoxy for the strongest possible bond.